DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HR-44 and 2 HR-24's connected via a Swm13 and all are networked. I have been running this configuration for about 2 months. Yesterday my HR-44 began losing sat signal pixelating and freezing through out the day. Initially I thought it was weather cause we had intermittent rain, however the HR-24's never had a problem. Most of day the HR-44 was unwatchable. It was like it wasn't receiving a signal. when I would try double play it would freeze for long amounts of time and when I would go to signal strength it wouldn't display any strength of signal, all while HR-24's reading >90 on most sats and transponders. I even repeated Sat setup it identified the appropriate Swm and then would never complete. I reset HR-44 2-3 times and issue would return. I even forced a software download to ensure latest version was installed. I even unplugged power supply to swm13 to hopefully reset it. I called DirecTV and they are replacing the HR-44. When I turned it on this am before work all worked fine, double play, Signal Strength was >90, and repeated Sat setup and it completed. I'm still assuming the HR-44 may be bad but I know there have been these issues before with Genies freezing and Pixelating.

Has anyone else have similar issues?

Thanks
Carl

·
Registered
12,583 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the coax cable connecting the HR44 back to your SWM splitter. Or, less likely, a problem with the splitter itself. Have you checked those connections? What happens if you swap the HR44 and one of your HR24s? Does the problem stay with the "bad" HR44, or in the "bad" room?

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
Agree with litz, most likely a corroded connector somewhere.

·
AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll re check connections. At splitter, off the network splitter and behind HR-44 was all tight last night. I'll check connection at wall plate. And behind plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
Open the connections and look at them. There may be corrosion (unlikely indoors), or a center-conductor may have sucked out. Check closely to be sure a shield wire (very tiny) or foil is not shorting to the center-conductor. Reconnect hand-tight then tighten just a bit more with a wrench. Look for damage along the cable or at any spot that may have become flatened, or hot and melted a bit (which lets the CC go off-center and upsets the impedance).

But that will not guarantee the cabling is good. Swap the cables at one end, test, then swap the other end, test again. One port on the splitter may be bad. Be sure unused ports have terminator caps. Try replacing or temporarily jumpering around each section of cable feeding the 44.

What makes this difficult to figure out is it may be intermittent. Have someone watch the signal meters while you exercise every cable connector (wiggle it around and bend the cable back and forth).

·
AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. It was a loose connection behind the wall plate. DirecTv did send me a refurbished HR44 for replacement, however I choose to keep the existing HR44 due to the recordings it had on it I haven't watched yet.

I called DirecTv about keeping the HR44 I received but was informed that only on Genie server can be active on an account at a time. Has anyone had experience with to Genies on same account and step-up inside their home?

Thanks
Carl

·
Godfather
313 Posts
ctsmd said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. It was a loose connection behind the wall plate. DirecTv did send me a refurbished HR44 for replacement, however I choose to keep the existing HR44 due to the recordings it had on it I haven't watched yet.

I called DirecTv about keeping the HR44 I received but was informed that only on Genie server can be active on an account at a time. Has anyone had experience with to Genies on same account and step-up inside their home?

Thanks
Carl
Even though you can only have one genie active, you can hook booth genies to your home theater and watch the recorded programs on the old genie while recording new programs on the new genie. The old genie can still play what it has recorded. That's what I plan on doing when when the replacement for my old genie arrives.

I will get charged a non return fee since I'm keeping the old one temporarily and when I do return it, my account will be credited for the fee.

·
Mentor
60 Posts
jangell2 said:
Even though you can only have one genie active, you can hook booth genies to your home theater and watch the recorded programs on the old genie while recording new programs on the new genie. The old genie can still play what it has recorded. That's what I plan on doing when when the replacement for my old genie arrives.

I will get charged a non return fee since I'm keeping the old one temporarily and when I do return it, my account will be credited for the fee.
For what it's worth, I tried to do that very thing with an old HR34 and a new HR44, that is, after I activated the HR44, I tried to view the recorded programs on the HR34. It wouldn't let me. It wouldn't even let me access the List without "activating" the HR34.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
You would have to remove the coax from the old genie BEOFRE it gets the "kill" command. Eventually tho, the old genie will time out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.