DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
AllStar
117 Posts
Please, PLEASE, let this update fix the audio dropouts on FOX!!!
They seem to get worse each week and are driving the whole family crazy.
And with '24' starting after the 1st of the year (and Prison Break coming back) this couldn't come at a better time - assuming it actually solves the problem! :(

Rob

·
Legend
278 Posts
I wonder if it fixes the issue where if the hard drive is full, it either stops recording altogether or deletes the last thing you recorded. I have been manually deleting older programs since the 6.3 upgrade.

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
I have notice several audio dropouts on FOX (House, Prison Break) over the this past season. I chalked it up to my local provider. But I guess if other people are having the same issues I guess it may be the HR10-250. The dropouts last anywhere from 1 second to as much as 8 or so. My wife just told me that the dropouts happen on more than just FOX. Lets hope this does fix it!!:)

·
3 Posts
Does "stability fixes" refer to the unit locking up? I've had about 6 occurences since 6.3 where the only thing I could do was pull the plug. Have had plenty of audio drop outs as well.

Also will this be a stagered release, if so any estimate on how long?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blues1183 said:
Does "stability fixes" refer to the unit locking up? I've had about 6 occurences since 6.3 where the only thing I could do was pull the plug. Have had plenty of audio drop outs as well.

Also will this be a stagered release, if so any estimate on how long?
Yes, that is some of the stablity fixes... but there is also the possibility of hard drive issues.

As for the staggered... weeks :(

·
Icon
596 Posts
Since the discussion thread you linked to above is closed, I huess I will post here.

The "Stability fixes" in the release notes is extremely vague. Does this update fix the shortened recordings and newer recordings being deleted instead of older recordings when the drive becomes full issue?

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Scrapper said:
I chalked it up to my local provider. But I guess if other people are having the same issues I guess it may be the HR10-250. My wife just told me that the dropouts happen on more than just FOX.
Most of the dropouts are on FOX due to the way FOX delivers HD content to affiliates and how the affiliates pass it on via the splicer. Ever notice how you never need to call a FOX affiliate and tell them to "Flip the Switch?" That is because there is no switch to flip. The splicer handles that function but somehow the splicer signal was creating issues for the HR10 when it came to decoding the audio after it passed through the splicer.

·
Mentor
52 Posts
Herdfan said:
Most of the dropouts are on FOX due to the way FOX delivers HD content to affiliates and how the affiliates pass it on via the splicer. Ever notice how you never need to call a FOX affiliate and tell them to "Flip the Switch?" That is because there is no switch to flip. The splicer handles that function but somehow the splicer signal was creating issues for the HR10 when it came to decoding the audio after it passed through the splicer.
I am experiencing most of the dropouts on CBS OTA. I do get an occasional FOX dropout. I am in Philadelphia.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rob Dawn said:
Earl,
Any word on when this new update will start rolling out?

Rob
It already has started.

Juppers said:
Since the discussion thread you linked to above is closed, I huess I will post here.

The "Stability fixes" in the release notes is extremely vague. Does this update fix the shortened recordings and newer recordings being deleted instead of older recordings when the drive becomes full issue?
All I got was "stability fixes"...
So past that, I have no other details.

·
Mentor
237 Posts
I forced a call yesterday and got the "Pending Restart" message! Reset the TiVo and I'm now at 6.3b! For those interested I was one of the last people to get 6.3a with it finally coming down somewhere near the end of October, and I was forcing a call almost everyday. I also tried forcing a call 2 days ago and got nothing.

Watched the tail end of the Bones re-run at 9pm on FOX. Almost immediately I got an audio drop, but it was only for a second and there was video breakup around the same time ... So maybe it was just a normal OTA dropout. I did not receive any other dropouts -- definitely no 5-10 second audio dropouts with the video continuing to work fine like with 6.3a. Watched some HD on some other stations too after that and it worked fine ...

We'll see tonight with FOX when the OC is on if there's anymore problems. Right before this with the 8pm episode of Bones, I was getting dropouts left and right with 6.3a, so getting only 1 short one afterwards is promising to me.

Also, I went back to my 8pm Bones recording and played it using 6.3b and the audio still drops in the same places so the audio dropout is embedded into the recording.

Keep forcing those calls daily, you might get the update!

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
LiQiCE said:
Keep forcing those calls daily, you might get the update!
Hope it comes soon...yesterday (after initial reports on 6.3b looked positive) I plugged in a unit that had been re-imaged and disconnected from the phone line since October. Forced a call and got 6.3a rather than b. Another call today and no luck.

I can live w/ the OTA Fox dropouts (only problem I had w/ 6.3a originally) for now, since I have nothing on my to-do list there for a while (did record Bones last night and had 5-6 of the dropouts)...but am anxiously waiting for 6.3b. Hope no major issues appear with it, and it is rolled out quickly to everyone. Would hate to have to re-image bak to 3.1.5f again.

·
Icon
808 Posts
Zipper the drive and then install and run the add63.tcl script. You'll have the 6.3b slices in mfs overnight. Modify the installSw.itcl file and run it manually from bash.

The 6.3b update only takes a short while to install. It will look like the HDTivo is stuck on the Welcome screen but you'll see the red record light on for a few minutes. When it goes out, the HDTivo will finish the boot cycle and you'll be up and running with 6.3b.

·
AllStar
82 Posts
captain_video said:
Zipper the drive and then install and run the add63.tcl script. You'll have the 6.3b slices in mfs overnight. Modify the installSw.itcl file and run it manually from bash.

The 6.3b update only takes a short while to install. It will look like the HDTivo is stuck on the Welcome screen but you'll see the red record light on for a few minutes. When it goes out, the HDTivo will finish the boot cycle and you'll be up and running with 6.3b.
English please...

j/k I'll wait till I get the conventional way although I'm getting a little frustrated with D* for taking so long (like that's something new)

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.