DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been on the waiting list and I finally got the robocall that we can now place an order for an HR20 (DirecTV PLUS HD DVR). As an avid Tivo lover, I've been kind of dreading this day, but as someone who can't get HD locals with an antenna, I've also been looking forward to it. Questions for those of you who have already made this switch:

1. Is there an upgrade fee? How much?

2. How long did it take for you to receive yours from the time you placed an order?

3.What features does the HR20 have that the HR10-250 doesn't and vice-versa?

4.How much of an "issue" is it for you NOT having TIVO anymore and having this DVR instead?

5. Does it make more sense to just hold on for dear life to the Tivo HD DVR we have now or should we just bite the bullet and go for the HR20 while we can?

Thanks for your help! :)

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
For what it's worth.....I receive HD OTA just fine (at least on 3.1.5f) so I'm keeping my HR10s at least until DTV starts rolling out new national HD channels in MPEG4. I'd guess mid 2007. At that point any upgrade decision I make will depend on the new HD content and how stable the HR20 is.

·
Banned
614 Posts
rbro said:
Well I've been on the waiting list and I finally got the robocall that we can now place an order for an HR20 (DirecTV PLUS HD DVR). As an avid Tivo lover, I've been kind of dreading this day, but as someone who can't get HD locals with an antenna, I've also been looking forward to it. Questions for those of you who have already made this switch:

1. Is there an upgrade fee? How much?

2. How long did it take for you to receive yours from the time you placed an order?

3.What features does the HR20 have that the HR10-250 doesn't and vice-versa?

4.How much of an "issue" is it for you NOT having TIVO anymore and having this DVR instead?

5. Does it make more sense to just hold on for dear life to the Tivo HD DVR we have now or should we just bite the bullet and go for the HR20 while we can?

Thanks for your help! :)
1.: Depending on the retention rep you talk to, you may pay nothing at all.
2.: If you order the HR20 via phone from DirecTV retention, a HSP installer will deliver to your home and set it up (likely for free).
3.: HR20 has better searching options (search by channel) then the HR10, and it's faster (guide is stored in ram).
4.: Well next year the HR10 will only get SD when HD content switches to MPEG4/Ka.. except for OTA HD with antenna.
5.: That's your choice... if you have HD locals available in your market now via MPEG4, then it's well worth having the HR20 now.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
3.: HR20 has better searching options then the HR10, and it's faster.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on that one, that is if the HR20 search module is anything like the R15's.
  • A maximum of 25 searches stored in history. With the HR10 you can save your search as a WishList and save as many of those as you wish.
  • The guide data in the R15 (I'd guess the HR20 is the same) only stores the first actors listed for any show. The HR10 stores as many actors as the guide has, at least 6 from what I've seen. Whys this a problem? If you search on a specific actor you're only going to find hits when that actor is listed in the first 3 positions. Actors that don't always get top billing (Rip Torn, Gene Hackman) will not return a hit. One example is that Men in Black does not show as a hit on the R15 if your search on "Rip Torn" as he is listed 4th in the guide. The HR10 does find this show.
  • R15/HR20 searches all channels even if you don't receive them. HR10 you can edit the channels I receive and the search doesn't return hits for those channels.
  • Paging through search results is < second on the HR10. 1-2 seconds per page on the R15/HR20.
Again, I don't have a HR20 but my understanding is the UI/Features/Functionality is suppose to be the same between the HR20 and the R15 other than HD.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Wolffpack said:
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on that one, that is if the HR20 search module is anything like the R15's.
  • A maximum of 25 searches stored in history. With the HR10 you can save your search as a WishList and save as many of those as you wish.
  • The guide data in the R15 (I'd guess the HR20 is the same) only stores the first actors listed for any show. The HR10 stores as many actors as the guide has, at least 6 from what I've seen. Whys this a problem? If you search on a specific actor you're only going to find hits when that actor is listed in the first 3 positions. Actors that don't always get top billing (Rip Torn, Gene Hackman) will not return a hit. One example is that Men in Black does not show as a hit on the R15 if your search on "Rip Torn" as he is listed 4th in the guide. The HR10 does find this show.
  • R15/HR20 searches all channels even if you don't receive them. HR10 you can edit the channels I receive and the search doesn't return hits for those channels.
  • Paging through search results is < second on the HR10. 1-2 seconds per page on the R15/HR20.
Again, I don't have a HR20 but my understanding is the UI/Features/Functionality is suppose to be the same between the HR20 and the R15 other than HD.
Okay I see your points, however I was referring to the ability of the HR20 to search by channel/network, which the Tivo can't do. Also the guide is faster, because it's stored in ram not on the hard drive.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
Okay I see your points, however I was referring to the ability of the HR20 to search by channel/network, which the Tivo can't do. Also the guide is faster, because it's stored in ram not on the hard drive.
Okay, got it. Faster guide? Geez the HR20 better have a faster guide than the HR10 (especially 3.1.5 as that was drawn by hand on the screen by gnomes inside the box). :grin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.