Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one that has me stumped.

One of our locals is in HD via satellite - channel 8 KGW-NBC-Portland, Or.

On my HR20 in satellite input mode, the hd signal comes in perfectly producing a full screen 1080i image on my 42 inch vizio - hdmi connection.

However, on the HR10-250, the image is not full screen (has side panels) and appears to not in hd 1080i on my 20 inch vizio - component cables.

I've tried everything I know - resets, fiddling with ratios etc. on the HR10-250.

I think I'm missing something very fundamental - at least I hope I am.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

Jack

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Make sure on your HR10-250

You are on channel x-y and not just x

If you are on "x", you are getting the SD-SAT version, not the OTA digital version

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Make sure on your HR10-250

You are on channel x-y and not just x

If you are on "x", you are getting the SD-SAT version, not the OTA digital version
I thought the x-y channels were for OTA. On the HR 20 it simply says 8 (not 8-1) and it's in hd1080 - on that receiver when I cahnge to 8-1 it gives me the 777 error - I think it's because it's trying to pull in the OTA signal which because of my reception area isn't strong enough.

So - the hr20 is on channel 8 not 8-1 and it gets full hd - I think because that local is being broadcast via satellite.

Going to the hr10-250 - when I punch in 8-1 I get nothing but a black screen because I have not set it up for OTA since I don't get good enough reception.

If I switch both TVs off of satellite to OTA input, then I get the locals just fine. I'm assuming that's because both the hr20 and the hr10 require higher signal strenths to drive their internal OTA tuners??

Anyway - again, the h20 is definitely on channel 8 and in satellite input mode with a perfect hd signal coming in. The hr10 is the same setup but does not display this channel in hd.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,095 Posts
jfolliard said:
Here's one that has me stumped.

One of our locals is in HD via satellite - channel 8 KGW-NBC-Portland, Or.

On my HR20 in satellite input mode, the hd signal comes in perfectly producing a full screen 1080i image on my 42 inch vizio - hdmi connection.

However, on the HR10-250, the image is not full screen (has side panels) and appears to not in hd 1080i on my 20 inch vizio - component cables.

I've tried everything I know - resets, fiddling with ratios etc. on the HR10-250.

I think I'm missing something very fundamental - at least I hope I am.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

Jack
The HR10-250 does not do HD locals over the satellite. Except MPEG2 stuff from NY & LA.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
You are missing something very fundamental. The HD is transmitted across the satellite in Mpeg4. The HR20 can decode the Mpeg4 stream. The HR10 can only decode Mpeg2. You will have to use an OTA antenna to get the local channel in hi-def on the HR10. (edit: I type to slow) :)

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gr8reb8 said:
You are missing something very fundamental. The HD is transmitted across the satellite in Mpeg4. The HR20 can decode the Mpeg4 stream. The HR10 can only decode Mpeg2. You will have to use an OTA antenna to get the local channel in hi-def on the HR10. (edit: I type to slow) :)
thanks - you know, it's funny how the mind works sometimes - Once you and others reminded me, I instantly recalled that fundamental difference between the 2 receivers! It's so easy to forget this stuff...especially at my age! But we won't go there. :)

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.