DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new from the D* HR10-250 world. So far, I'm very impressed with the HD PQ on E*, which was the main reason I switched. Though the ViP622 seems to be a good performer, I still have some basic questions I need help answering.

1. How do I switch tuners? On the HR10-250, if a show was being recorded, you could just hop to the other tuner and watch a different show. Here, when I try to change channels during a recording, it prompts me to cancel my recording. I am running in Dual Mode, btw.

2. Speaking of Dual Mode, what's the significance of recording something with it defaulting to TV1 as opposed to TV2? It will record in HD, if available, either way, right? You can also view either on either TV, right? So what does it matter?

3. Is anyone but me preferring the HD PQ on component to HDMI? I was a bit surprised, but component looks a bit richer. I am also preferring to have the box set to 1080i, even though my TV is native 720p. I take it there's no signal native mode (i.e., showing ESPN and FOX in 720p and NBC, CBS, etc. in 1080i)?

4. If you do a Dish Pass timer, is there a place to set it to record new episodes only? I only seem to get that option when I pick a program off the guide at this point.

Thanks to all for your help.

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've now answered, I think, questions 1, 2, and 4 for myself.

As to 1 and 2 - this is a real pain in the neck comparied to Tivo, but I know the problem springs from using one box for two TVs. This will take some getting used to and, probably, some WAF juggling. There will be times when she will be annoyed with the fact that one TV or the other is frequently locked up.

As to 4 - is there a way to move through the guide by days, rather than by half-hour clicks? If I'm going to be deleting all my Dish Pass timers and replacing them with DVR timers, I'll need to be able to surf through the week a lot faster than I can now.

· Hall Of Fame
1,262 Posts
On number 1, I run single mode and I just hit another channel and it goes there; could be different in dual mode. Try hitting the swap button and then changing channels - again, I'm not sure this will work for you in dual mode but it's worth a try.

On number 3, I compared component to hdmi and, while the component was richer in color, hdmi was the best for clarity and depth so I tweaked up the color on that input and am now most happy with hdmi.

To move forward by days, use the skip forward button (the one that skips ahead by 30 seconds) while in the guide and you go ahead 24 hours.

Hope this helps!

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
Just mentioning that in addition to Fwd & Back for 24 hours, you can enter a two digit number and then Right / Left button to go 48 hrs, 72 hrs, ... Used to work for 3 digit numbers but they "fixed" that in the Guide to take you directly to a channel on the 3rd digit (<500).

Rather than poking around in the guide, you might investigate the Search (#) button. I prefills the name with what you have selected / are watching and might save you time in certain situations if you intend to create a DVR timer (or resolve a conflict to see if the same episode will be repeated soon).

· Cool Member
28 Posts
I hope that native pass-through is included in the next update (Dec. 1st?), but at this point I simply have the box set at 1080i, component cables, single mode and everything works great except for very minor periodic audio problems on satellite local channels.

· Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
Native pass through will most likely not be included in the next release version.

There's no current way to set a Dish Pass event to record New epsiodes only. That's one of the most requested features.

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark,

Looking at your signature line, I think it's worth saying to you that the ability to watch either tuner on either TV would be a VERY big improvement to the 622.

Swapping tuners is something Tivo people have come to take for granted and, all things being equal, it could be reason enough for a Tivo person to forego Dish Network service. In my case, I will likely stay for the improved HD PQ and extra HD channels, but I find it very problematic.

I am not, of course, saying that I need four tuners. Just that either TV should be able to switch back and forth so that you always have full flexibility as to what you're watching, what you're recording, and where you're watching.

I know this is likely a hardware issue that can never be fixed by a firmware update, but those are my two cents.

· Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
It seems to me that the 622 equivilent operation mode to the Tivo would be to put it into single mode. Then the 622 would be acting like a dual tuner Tivo box by feeding one TV. You could then hit the swap to switch tuners. I run in single mode and if the tuner I'm watching is recording, I just change channels and it will use the other tuner transparently. Or if I'm not recording I can use the swap button to change back and forth between the two tuners. At the same time I can use the recall button to go back and forth between current and previous channel tuned on each tuner if I'm being clear?

I think that is what you are asking about?

The root of your problem is that by feeding two TVs off of the 622 it operates differently, OTOH you do save a second receiver mirror fee.

Good Luck

P.S. By hooking up a OTA antenna you can of course record a HD channel from the OTA as well as two satellite timers. And that might make it more flexible when running in dual mode.

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sadly, I get no OTA in my new home. On the other hand, if I did get OTA, I never would have switched to E*, so maybe it was a blessing.

I understand what you're saying about single mode being equivalent to Tivo in this regard. I just wish the box had been setup to let either TV watch either tuner in Dual Mode. There's no logistical obstacle to that feature that I can see. It just seems to be the way they designed it.

As it is now, I just have to accept that my bedroom TV will frequently be locked into a recording, even though there's another tuner on the same box just buffering reruns of Private Benjamin.

· Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
jeffnebraska said:
Mark,

Looking at your signature line, I think it's worth saying to you that the ability to watch either tuner on either TV would be a VERY big improvement to the 622.

Swapping tuners is something Tivo people have come to take for granted and, all things being equal, it could be reason enough for a Tivo person to forego Dish Network service. In my case, I will likely stay for the improved HD PQ and extra HD channels, but I find it very problematic.

I am not, of course, saying that I need four tuners. Just that either TV should be able to switch back and forth so that you always have full flexibility as to what you're watching, what you're recording, and where you're watching.

I know this is likely a hardware issue that can never be fixed by a firmware update, but those are my two cents.
Jeff, please keep in mind that I am not a Dish Network employee. I have a good working relationship with the engineers.

That said, single user mode does exactly what you want. In dual user mode, the 622 is basically 2 separate receivers in the same box. In single user mode, the 622 is a dual tuner single receiver.

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
jeffnebraska said:
As it is now, I just have to accept that my bedroom TV will frequently be locked into a recording, even though there's another tuner on the same box just buffering reruns of Private Benjamin.
A lot of users would be annoyed if the bedroom TV2 remote could decide to use the "other tuner" and channel surf away while the folks in the living room surf with him. Now if you don't mind snatching the living room TV away from whoever is watching (really low WAF there!), it is possible to use the TV2 remote to cause whatever sat tuner TV1 is using (tuners need not match outputs) to switch to the channel of your choice and begin record it. That would let you watch something at TV2 if it is tied up recording. It isn't convenient, but your 6.3 TV2 remote can also be used to control TV1 via UHF Pro. You need to remove the blue 2 key, slide a switch, then change the Sat remote address to match what TV1 uses, but you do get full control of TV1 that way. Again, low WAF if she's watching TV1 elsewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.