DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
AllStar
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after using an auxiliary fan on my HR20 for 6 years or more, it finally died after DTV did a refresh on it trying to track down a pixel/freeze issue on my HR34. Don't ask me why they felt the need to refresh the HR20, but shortly after doing so it went into an endless reboot that I could never get it to come out of. Now it won't even come on after giving an error code on a BSOD. After calling DTV, they shipped me an HR44, even though I had requested an HR54 (thinking at the time it would get 4K). My question for everyone is now that I have 2 genies in my possession, can I move the HR34 from the living room into the bedroom and use the same hookup the HR20 had, or do I need to do something different. They did not send me another DECA so I only have what is there now that was hooked up to the HR20 and the one that is on the HR34. I was surprised they sent me another Genie as I always thought this was not allowed.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
So, after using an auxiliary fan on my HR20 for 6 years or more, it finally died after DTV did a refresh on it trying to track down a pixel/freeze issue on my HR34. Don't ask me why they felt the need to refresh the HR20, but shortly after doing so it went into an endless reboot that I could never get it to come out of. Now it won't even come on after giving an error code on a BSOD. After calling DTV, they shipped me an HR44, even though I had requested an HR54 (thinking at the time it would get 4K). My question for everyone is now that I have 2 genies in my possession, can I move the HR34 from the living room into the bedroom and use the same hookup the HR20 had, or do I need to do something different. They did not send me another DECA so I only have what is there now that was hooked up to the HR20 and the one that is on the HR34. I was surprised they sent me another Genie as I always thought this was not allowed.
You will find out -for sure-When you call in to activate the Hr44

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,731 Posts
Get rid of that 34- it’s been junk for years and activate the HR44. You will be amazed at the difference.

Is it a HR20-100 or -700 that went bad? There’s a big difference between the two. I’ve had both and still have my 20-100 working like a champ.

·
AllStar
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes it was a 100. kinda noisy having an auxiliary fan on it for so many years in the bedroom, but eventually got used to it. guess I'll just have to experiment today and see what happens, since nobody seems to have an answer to my main question.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Something to do with having issues with the clients being able to talk to one specific Genie or the other, the software wouldn't let you pick which client talked to which Genie. Or something like that.
It will let you pick a server --The only problem occurs when viewing a recorded program from one server to another (not a client or a HDDVR or HD receiver) The Video Breaks ups during playback --enough to make it a extreme TROUBLE Call problem if released out in the field

·
AllStar
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok.....per Harsh's request. If I move my HR34 into the bedroom, can I use the same hookup that was there for the HR20?

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
ok.....per Harsh's request. If I move my HR34 into the bedroom, can I use the same hookup that was there for the HR20?
Sure. Try it and let us know. I assume you already have a single wire multiswitch (SWM) setup? One issue might be the total number of tuners you'll have with two Genies. Each has 5 tuners. Your current dish setup might only support 8 tuners.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,731 Posts
yes it was a 100. kinda noisy having an auxiliary fan on it for so many years in the bedroom, but eventually got used to it. guess I'll just have to experiment today and see what happens, since nobody seems to have an answer to my main question.
Yea the HR20-100's were junk. The -700's are much better. The -100 is the only DVR/receiver I had where the motherboard went toast like what happened to you.

Your moving of the 34 to the 20 location should work fine. I still think you will have problems activating the HR44 though, as the 34 is still considered a Genie. You will find out once you make that call. Expect to be on the phone with them a LONG time.

·
AllStar
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it activated. First tried to do it online, but no luck. Was able to do it thru their automation process via a phone call. Took maybe 10 mins total. However, the HR34 in the bedroom is now getting a Problem communicating with dish (776) error. A satellite dish hardware upgrade is required. Please call Customer Service and choose message 776. Also, the whole home doesn't seem to be working anymore either. Haven't called them yet to see what they say.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Got it activated. First tried to do it online, but no luck. Was able to do it thru their automation process via a phone call. Took maybe 10 mins total. However, the HR34 in the bedroom is now getting a Problem communicating with dish (776) error. A satellite dish hardware upgrade is required. Please call Customer Service and choose message 776. Also, the whole home doesn't seem to be working anymore either. Haven't called them yet to see what they say.
Suggestion: when you move the hr34--From the old location --FInd that rg6 and move the Hr34 New rg6 to that location

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,450 Posts
Suggestion: when you move the hr34--From the old location --FInd that rg6 and move the Hr34 New rg6 to that location
I'm confused. What is it that you're trying to accomplish by "move the HR34 New RG6"?

A 766 error appears to be precisely what @litzdog911 was cautioning about in post #10: Too many tuners connected.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I'm confused. What is it that you're trying to accomplish by "move the HR34 New RG6"?

A 766 error appears to be precisely what @litzdog911 was cautioning about in post #10: Too many tuners connected.
Well -then He needs to Change his LNB to a RB --with 22 channels -problem solved

1 - 20 of 30 Posts