DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Godfather
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had 2 HR20/100's in the same cabinet for 5 years. In order to reduce the heat, I had two CPU fans installed in the wall of the cabinet. (About 1.5 years ago, I moved one of the HR20's to a new room and replaced it with an HR24.)

Last night, the remaining HR20 gave me some weird warning about a temperature problem. (Nothing changed....the CPU fans are running and the HR24 reports a temp of 108.) I opened the cabinet and put a standing fan blowing in, and it not make a difference. Twice I unplugged the HR20 and it booted fine and stayed functional for a while.

At this point, I am ready to have the unit replaced. I have the protection plan.

What unit will I likely get? Will this reset my commitment?

Any chance I can "upgrade" to an HR34?

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
Could you check it the next time the message comes up ?
I have read that 126° triggers that message and another place I read that it was 140°.
My 2 DVRs run from 113° to 118°.

Thanks

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
I have also read that a vacuum placed close to the fan will take some of the dust off the fan blades and grill and might help this problem. This is done without taking it apart.

I do not think replacing a defective receiver constitutes a contract extension. If you upgrade it does.

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
What you get is luck of the draw. No extension if it replaces defective. Getting a 34 is the only guaranteed option, but may be up to $400, plus other charges if you don't have SWM. It's possible they'll give you a deal though. That would trigger a 2 year contract.

· Godfather
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I called last night and they had me remove the power cord to see if it was discolored.

Since it is black, its kinda hard to determine if its discolored. When I told the CSR that is was not discolored, he asked that I take a look at the metal connectors in the power cord. Since the metal ends are recessed about 1 cm from the end, it was difficult to see, but again I did not see any discoloration.

Was he checking to see if there was a short?

Finally, it started up and immediately went to the "blue screen" where it tells you about the temp. It started at 146 and everytime it progresses, the temp went down 2degs. Since it was going to take over ten cycles to get to 120 (low enough to boot), I left it alone. After about 3 hours, I noticed it did boot....

By morning, it was over heated again.

Because I have the protection plan, this will be a no-charge replacement, and does not extend my contract.

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
EricRobins said:
So I called last night and they had me remove the power cord to see if it was discolored.

Since it is black, its kinda hard to determine if its discolored. When I told the CSR that is was not discolored, he asked that I take a look at the metal connectors in the power cord. Since the metal ends are recessed about 1 cm from the end, it was difficult to see, but again I did not see any discoloration.

Was he checking to see if there was a short?

Finally, it started up and immediately went to the "blue screen" where it tells you about the temp. It started at 146 and everytime it progresses, the temp went down 2degs. Since it was going to take over ten cycles to get to 120 (low enough to boot), I left it alone. After about 3 hours, I noticed it did boot....

By morning, it was over heated again.

Because I have the protection plan, this will be a no-charge replacement, and does not extend my contract.
Thanks for the post with the temps.

Glad they are sending you a replacement. Hopefully you will not have any problems with it and hopefully you will get a newer model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.