DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Godfather
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having some issues with tuner 2 on my HR20-100 lately, where some channels come in with very low signal, and when i go to the signal strength the odd transponders on 101 are all 0's on tuner 2 only. I swapped the cables (without swapping the BBCs) and it still showed the same behaviour, and then I swapped the BBCs and it still did the same thing, so the tech on the phone deduced it must be the DVR. So they said they would send me out a new one. I expressed to them that I need one that has an OTA input since I know the HR21's do not. He said that wouldn't be a problem and he would be sending me the same one I had now.

I received an HR21-200 today. While it is very nice looking from the case, and probably a bit higher quality componentwise, It has no OTA. I don't think I should have to pay for an AM-21 because I am getting a replacement and shouldn't have to pay to get the same features I had, so I called and asked what I should do. They said they would send me a new DVR and noted specifically that it would have OTA input. I suggested the AM21 and she asked her supervisor something and then came back and said she would be sending me a new DVR. Just then we were discussing what I should do and when I should send back the replacement and my original, but the call was suddenly disconnected, and she did not call me back. It was told to me when i first ordered the replacement that I had to send my original back within 7 days or I would be billed for it. Now I don't know what to do, because it will be at least monday before I get the replacement replacement. She was unclear whether I should send the replacement back now or wait for the replacement replacement first, but it sounded like she was telling me to send the replacement back now. I waited a few minutes for her to call back, but she didn't When I called back I was instead connected to an offshore callcenter instead of the one I was originally connected to, and call me silly, I just trust the knowledge of the onshore call center a bit more than the offshore one. She told me to wait until the replacement replacement arrives to send anything back.

I guess my question to you all is: What should I do with the replacement? Send it back now? wait for the replacement? or call back again and see if I can just get them to send me a free AM21?

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
Not trying to make things any worse for you, but I'd almost be willing to bet that the replacement replacement that is SUPPOSED to have OTA won't either. If I've been reading things correctly on this forum, for them to actually be able to guarantee an HR20 is sent out would pretty much be a manual process.

Best of luck and I hope things work out for you. As for the question of what you should do, I'm not sure. Was this replaced under the Protection Plan? And when you called about the missing OTA on the replacement receiver, did you talk to the PP department, or just a front-line CSR?

If this was a PP replacement, I might trying calling back and speaking with them directly and see what they have to say about a new shipment versus ordering an AM-21.

· Godfather
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have the protection plan. When she said she was sending one that specifically had OTA she went off to talk to her supervisor, so I am pretty sure they were setting something manual up, and she said she had notated my account out the wazoo that it had to have OTA. I then asked her to double check that they were sending me a new receiver and not just an AM21, so she left again and said she checked with the supervisor and he said it will be a new HD DVR with OTA capability.

I'm just hoping they get it right.

I've seen a TON of people complaining about their customer service but I've never had a big problem before. In fact DirecTV is one of my favourite companies to deal with because everything is so simple and things always go my way. I've always had nothing but praise for my customer service incidents with them, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

· Registered
5,674 Posts
they can't do it no matter what they tell you. I think they say it to appease you, but retention dept themselves say there is no way to do it. talk to the right person and they will send and credit an am21 so you keep the same functionality.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
They can put notes, and say they are doing their best. But in reality there is no specific model order system in place so you will get whatever you get.

The only differentiation they have is the type (SD, SD-DVR, HD, HD-DVR)

· Legend
288 Posts
Grentz said:
They can put notes, and say they are doing their best. But in reality there is no specific model order system in place so you will get whatever you get.

The only differentiation they have is the type (SD, SD-DVR, HD, HD-DVR)
And D* should change this...gezz how hard could it be in these days of bar codes on everything.

But for now your odds are very, very slim in getting a HR20 just do what you have to do to get a AM21

8 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to me. They said they were going to send me an HR20 twice but I got an HR21 both times. I just call back and they sent me an AM21 and gave me a 60 dollar credit.

Keep trying to you get someone that will give you the credit. I got it on my second call.

TK

· Godfather
427 Posts
ttodd1 said:
And is DTV suppose to keep up with the inventory of every installer that works for them? :sure:
Absolutely. There system of work orders should include allocation ( Assignement by serial number /Access Card Number by location. This is part of any basis inventory MRP/ERP system. This type of a system would generate requirements based on sales orders and can be used to provide future order requirements to there vendors of the receivers, lnbs, and switches.

Think about it. You own a business and you give installers equipment that you paid for would you want to know the status of that equipment? If you don't you'll be out of business real quick.

· Icon
1,306 Posts
eandras said:
Think about it. You own a business and you give installers equipment that you paid for would you want to know the status of that equipment? If you don't you'll be out of business real quick.
A lot of people here and elsewhere have been saying the same thing for a VERY long time; certainly anyone who's had to deal with logistics systems certainly find DirecTV's system setup bizarre, to put it bluntly.

One can only hope your last sentence is not prophetic, But they certainly got off on the wrong foot by constructing their 'system' to not distinguish between the various HR2x models. And with models like the HR22 out, and HR2xx on the horizon, it's only going to get worse.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
The thing is besides a few power users and people who really are interested in this stuff, most could honestly care less or know less of which version shows up at their house (HR20 vs. HR21). Remember that those active around here and knowing what is actually going on are a VERY few number compared to the huge customer base.

My uncle has had an HR20 for months and had no idea what the OTA feature even was when I told him about it and set it up for him, and he is actually pretty into electronics.

· DaBears
5,992 Posts
1948GG said:
A lot of people here and elsewhere have been saying the same thing for a VERY long time; certainly anyone who's had to deal with logistics systems certainly find DirecTV's system setup bizarre, to put it bluntly.

One can only hope your last sentence is not prophetic, But they certainly got off on the wrong foot by constructing their 'system' to not distinguish between the various HR2x models. And with models like the HR22 out, and HR2xx on the horizon, it's only going to get worse.
This is where cost vs benefit comes into play. D* obviously is under the principle of you get what you get. This is not new and never has been new. Before the D* branded receivers you could get 2-3 different manufacturers on the same new customer installation. Their lease models states you will get a comparable replacement but not necessarily the exact model number. They charge the same for all HR* models there isn't a new price for the HR22 which has more storage. If you had to pay more or less based on model number they would have to replace like for like. Changing their system to match model numbers doesn't give them enough benefit as a company to justify the cost. Especially when I would venture that the amount of people who care about the OTA on the H20 are a lot less then those who don't.

Generally D* takes care of their customers with situations like this however nothing says they have to provide you a piece of equipment that gets you something other then what they provide you. The H20 has a nice perk of a built in OTA input, but that's all it was a perk.

· Icon
1,306 Posts
Shades228 said:
The H20 has a nice perk of a built in OTA input, but that's all it was a perk.
That kind of thinking will prevail, until the point where they refuse to (or perhaps can't because of their 'system') provide a customer with an IDENTICAL replacement item.

At that point, they'll be talking to a state Atty. General.

· AllStar
79 Posts
eandras said:
Absolutely. There system of work orders should include allocation ( Assignement by serial number /Access Card Number by location. This is part of any basis inventory MRP/ERP system. This type of a system would generate requirements based on sales orders and can be used to provide future order requirements to there vendors of the receivers, lnbs, and switches.

But DTV does not 'own' the independent installer that they contract to. There is no reason not to believe that DTV does not know that they gave installer A x number of HR20-100s. But to say that they should be able to 'lock' into that installer's system is not realistic - IMO. That is like saying that because Intel makes cpus that they should be able to get into the system of every computer manufacture to see what they are using/not using. Extreme I know but just an example.

· Mentor
35 Posts
What many people here seem to be forgetting is the fact that the replacement unit was drop shipped directly from Direct TV. Considering it is coming from D*'s inventory, there should be a way to specify which receiver the customer will receive. This is going to be a very large problem as more HR22s break down, and the customer is sent a HR20/21. I don't think double the HD space is a "perk".

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
I'm going to keep this here. I was tempted to move it to the HD DVR forum but it's really about service, not about equipment.

· Legend
288 Posts
HawkEye19 said:
What many people here seem to be forgetting is the fact that the replacement unit was drop shipped directly from Direct TV. Considering it is coming from D*'s inventory, there should be a way to specify which receiver the customer will receive. This is going to be a very large problem as more HR22s break down, and the customer is sent a HR20/21. I don't think double the HD space is a "perk".
This was exctly what I was speaking of not so much what each installer has but when you are getting a replacement shipped from D* they need to be able to specify what is going to a customer. Now I know you cannot always let the customer choose because everyone that follows the productline would want the latest and greatest box. But if you have an HR22 and it breaks within a reasonable time/warranty period, you should expect an HR22 to replace it as long as they are available.

· Godfather
466 Posts
GutBomb said:
I guess my question to you all is: What should I do with the replacement? Send it back now? wait for the replacement? or call back again and see if I can just get them to send me a free AM21?
I had the same problem with Direct and lead me to terminate my contract. The only solution is to demand the AM21. Be forceful about not paying for the AM21. I kept being promised a model with OTA connectors but kept being sent the HR21 without OTA. Direct even billed me the cost of the DVR they swapped.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.