DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba 50h81 Widescreen and just got the HR20 DVR, when I put res. to 1080i the channel banner is cut off at top of screen and can't read what channel I'm on. The HR20 is set for 16:9 widescreen and I'm using component cables for the TV (can't change sizing on TV (i.e. Theater Mode 1,2,3 or FULL) when receiving 1080i signal. When I'm in the 480p mode I must set TV to FULL to get channel banner readable, but as soon as it goes to 1080i, top of banner gets cut off. I was just using the High-def Directv non DVR model (not sure of model number) and the 1080i mode was fine on that. Just had D* send me out another HR20 and I get the same problem. How can I watch 1080i HDTV when I can't even see what channel I'm on? Is there another config to TV I can do? BTW did reset convergence on TV but to no avail, also noticed when I change back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9 on HR20 setup, doesn't seem to alter the picture any. Thanks for any input.

·
RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
Check your settings in the HR20 for what resolutions your tv supports, also use the format button and attempt to find a happy setting. Play around with the aspect ratio tv type setting on the HR20.

There is no perfect setting that works with everything.

Some programs are 4:3, some are 16:9 some are coded as LB some are not.

Sometimes you have to work at it to find the best setting.

Sounds like you are zoomed in on a 4:3 program causing it to fill a 16:9 screen. This will cut the top and bottom off the picture. This is the CROP setting. You want pillar box.

What does a HD channel that is sending out a 16:9 program look like?

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have already tried all that still get same thing. Can't figure out why I didn't have this problem with the non DVR HD receiver.

·
1 Posts
I am having a similar problem in 1080i mode. My old HD receiver (non-DVR) had a feature under Settings>Display that allowed you to "center" the image on the screen. The HR20 manual talks about this feature but it is not available in the current version of the software. On my old unit I had to move the screen almost all the way to the right on the centering setting in order to get the image to show up correctly on my TV. I'm hoping that the centering feature will get back with a future software update. Does anyone know if the new software released on the 15th added the centering feature?

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
I have a Toshiba 42h81 that's now been relegated to my kids' playroom. When we had it in the living room hooked up to the Xbox 360, we had the same problems using 1080i mode. I think the Toshiba's overscan settings are to blame and those are not changeable from the user-level menu. They may be modifiable in the Service Menu but I am NOT a Toshiba guru by any means and never wanted to take the risk of messing around with something I didn't know how to undo. I just bought a Samsung DLP a couple months ago instead. :D No overscan issues there at all.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
bobrosey said:
I have a Toshiba 50h81 Widescreen and just got the HR20 DVR, when I put res. to 1080i the channel banner is cut off at top of screen and can't read what channel I'm on. The HR20 is set for 16:9 widescreen and I'm using component cables for the TV (can't change sizing on TV (i.e. Theater Mode 1,2,3 or FULL) when receiving 1080i signal. When I'm in the 480p mode I must set TV to FULL to get channel banner readable, but as soon as it goes to 1080i, top of banner gets cut off. I was just using the High-def Directv non DVR model (not sure of model number) and the 1080i mode was fine on that. Just had D* send me out another HR20 and I get the same problem. How can I watch 1080i HDTV when I can't even see what channel I'm on? Is there another config to TV I can do? BTW did reset convergence on TV but to no avail, also noticed when I change back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9 on HR20 setup, doesn't seem to alter the picture any. Thanks for any input.
I have a Toshiba 40X81 which is very similar to the 50H81.
Mine is set to:
Native off
Pillarbox
1080i only.
16:9
Component video.

and I have no problem with the guide.

I set my overscan using the HDnet test patterns.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input guys, glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. How do you set the overscan using HDnet test pattern?

·
AllStar
74 Posts
bobrosey said:
This is a Toshiba overscan issue. I have the 50HX81 and had this same problem. I found a site that sort of walked me through the service menu and I was able to correct it. I'll see if I can find the link when I get home.

·
AllStar
74 Posts

·
Legend
129 Posts
(can't change sizing on TV (i.e. Theater Mode 1 said:
I can change the Pic Size on my Toshiba using these settings.
My banner only blows up to where I can't see it if I where to go to FULL.
Are you sure you aren't set to FULL?

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
wtrax said:
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/toshiba/servicemenu/servicemenu.html

That's the link to the page I got my Toshiba info from. I had to get it from a couple different places on that site. Be careful though from what I understand it is possible to mess things up. Also you may want to take the advice I was given when I originally asked this same question in this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=69231
WTRAX,

Can you give a little more detail as to how difficult it was to adjust once in service mode and which pages on the Keohi HDTV web page you used.

I am having a similar problem to BOBROSEY although not nearly as bad. The menus appear to be cut off at the top and bottom, maybe a 1/4" or so. I can make out what everything says, but it is still noticeable. I would like to see about adjusting it in the service menu. You refered to your problem as being overscan in the other thread. I did not see any information about adjusting overscan on the Keohi HDTV page.

Thanks
Clayton

·
Legend
144 Posts
I have a similar problem but it doesn't bother me that much. Some overscan is normal, I think, and I'm not about to go messing in the service menu--something not wise to do unless you 100% know what you're doing. I just learned to live with it, though I did not have it w/my non-HD Tivo...
(Samsung, component, 1080i)

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Working in the service menu on the older Toshiba projection TVs is not too difficult, you just have to take everything slowly, write down what settings you have before you change them, do not adjust parameters just because they look interesting (!) and TAKE CARE!!

The Keohi web site will explain how to get into service mode. Once you are there you can do two things.
1) Adjust a whole load of parameters of the TV. Most of the time all you need to do for a simple overscan adjustment is to use the HDnet test transmission, if you have an HR10 or HR20 you can record it and then use it any time you like. You adjust horizontal and vertical position, and height and width, to make sure your picture is centred and there is not too much overscan. Write down what all the settings are before you change them, so you can change them back if you screw up. This web site http://www.smartcalibration.com/hdnetpatterns.html should also be useful.

2) In service mode you can also adjust convergence parameters at the corners of the screen, correct for common distortions, and do a full convergence adjustment, which allows you to do a very precise alignment of the red, green and blue guns on each of the TVs inputs. To do this properly you really need an overlay grid which shows you where all the grid lines on the TV need to be. This is what the professional calibrators do. Doing a correct full convergence can take a long time, going backward and forward adjusting the three separate colors across the whole screen , in antenna, video 1,2,3 and Colorstream (component) 1 and 2 (that's what I have on my TV). Even a professional calibrator can take all day just doing a few inputs.

I need to stress that although going into service mode gives you the ability to set up your TV's overscan and convergence accurately, it also allows you to set all sorts of other parameters which are NOT for the amateur. So I carry no responsibility for any problems you create while you are in service mode. There are even a couple of parameters that if you set them incorrectly the only way to get your TV working again is a service call.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.