DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,

Had an older dtv Hd20 dvr with a caviar 2tb external that worked great. Recently the dvr died, and dtv set me up with an HR-200. After getting over not being able to recover the shows on the HD, I decided to go ahead and reinstall it on the new receiver. Went thru all the normal steps and the receiver does not recognize the drive. Everything is the same as what was working for over a year, so I am stumped. I hooked up the drive to my mac and it recognizes the drive so I am pretty sure the dive is Ok. I even tried formatting the drive to fat-32 but still no success.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

· Broadcast Engineer
4,146 Posts
Its not a mature technology, and not approved by DTV, so its finicky. It's best to have a drive and enclosure that is recommended by those on the forum. The Antec enclosure and WD green HDDs seem to be the most trouble-free.

It is also good to have a good eSATA cable, the short, cheap, stiff ones have been known to have problems.

The drive must be spun up before the DVR tries to boot, also. Give it 30 secs, and be sure it is not using a spin down routine.

Searching this forum can also give you a lot of info in this area.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
TheLix said:
Howdy folks,

Had an older dtv Hd20 dvr with a caviar 2tb external that worked great. Recently the dvr died, and dtv set me up with an HR-200. After getting over not being able to recover the shows on the HD, I decided to go ahead and reinstall it on the new receiver. Went thru all the normal steps and the receiver does not recognize the drive. Everything is the same as what was working for over a year, so I am stumped. I hooked up the drive to my mac and it recognizes the drive so I am pretty sure the dive is Ok. I even tried formatting the drive to fat-32 but still no success.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?
What's an HR-200? If it's an HR24-200 or a 21-200 or a 22-200, what kind of external device are you using? The easiest external device to hook up and use is the Thermaltake docking station. What's the model number of your external HDD?

Answer these questions and maybe we can help you.

Rich

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rich said:
What's an HR-200? If it's an HR24-200 or a 21-200 or a 22-200, what kind of external device are you using? The easiest external device to hook up and use is the Thermaltake docking station. What's the model number of your external HDD?

Answer these questions and maybe we can help you.

Rich
Sorry for the incorrect info Rich, and thanks for your response. The receiver is an HR24-200. The drive is a Calvary CAXE3701TO 1TB. This drive and cable was something I bought a couple years ago based on a recommendation on one of the forums online, and worked flawlessly on my old receiver, So I am surprised that the HR24-200 won't recognize it. I hate to spend money on a new drive setup, which is why I thought posting my problem on this forum might shed some light on why it won't work.........

Gary

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
TheLix said:
Sorry for the incorrect info Rich, and thanks for your response. The receiver is an HR24-200. The drive is a Calvary CAXE3701TO 1TB. This drive and cable was something I bought a couple years ago based on a recommendation on one of the forums online, and worked flawlessly on my old receiver, So I am surprised that the HR24-200 won't recognize it. I hate to spend money on a new drive setup, which is why I thought posting my problem on this forum might shed some light on why it won't work.........

Gary
Is that Cavalry an "all-in-one" eSATA? The Cavalrys are one of the worst eSATAs out there, if not the worst. If it is an eSATA device, and nothing you do gets it to be recognized by the HR, then you might try taking the thing apart and removing the 1TB HDD. That's probably still good and will work in something like this.

But first, try this exactly as written: Unplug the HR. Unplug the Cavalry device. Leave the eSATA to eSATA jumper in place between the HR and the eSATA. Plug in the Cav and let it spin up. Keep your hand or a finger on it and you'll feel it when it has spun up. Only takes a couple seconds. Now plug in the HR and let it boot up. That should cause the HR to recognize the eSATA.

If that doesn't work, take the HDD out of the enclosure. If my memory is correct, it's pretty simple to do. Just a few screws and it should slide out. Try it in the Thermaltake docking station, following the above instructions precisely and it should be recognized. The docking station has a blue power light on it. One side will start sparkling red when the external is recognized by the HR. Then you should be good to go.

The docking stations require no tools, just slide the HDD in with the label facing you and make sure it is properly seated in the dock.

Rich

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rich said:
Is that Cavalry an "all-in-one" eSATA? The Cavalrys are one of the worst eSATAs out there, if not the worst. If it is an eSATA device, and nothing you do gets it to be recognized by the HR, then you might try taking the thing apart and removing the 1TB HDD. That's probably still good and will work in something like

But first, try this exactly as written: Unplug the HR. Unplug the Cavalry device. Leave the eSATA to eSATA jumper in place between the HR and the eSATA. Plug in the Cav and let it spin up. Keep your hand or a finger on it and you'll feel it when it has spun up. Only takes a couple seconds. Now plug in the HR and let it boot up. That should cause the HR to recognize the eSATA.

If that doesn't work, take the HDD out of the enclosure. If my memory is correct, it's pretty simple to do. Just a few screws and it should slide out. Try it in the Thermaltake docking station, following the above instructions precisely and it should be recognized. The docking station has a blue power light on it. One side will start sparkling red when the external is recognized by the HR. Then you should be good to go.

The docking stations require no tools, just slide the HDD in with the label facing you and make sure it is properly seated in the dock.

Rich
Yes, Rich, the Calvary is an all-in-one. Worked great for about 2 years on the old HR. I tried just about everything to get the HR to see it….. I changed eSata cables, reformatted the drive on my computer, even waved a magic wand, but no luck.

So, I took your advice and went looking for an eSata enclosure. The local Fry's did not have the Thermaltake, but they did have a Nexstar-3 which looked pretty good. I purchased one of those, and along with it a Seagate Barracuda 2TB since the Calvary was suspect. Took the new stuff home, slipped the drive into the enclosure, hooked up the eSata, and powered down the HR. I then turned on the drive enclosure, powered up the HR and SUCCESS! Got lots of space now.

Its a mystery why the Calvary would not work with the HR24-200, but I'll put it to use elsewhere………

Thanks for your help - Gary

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
TheLix said:
Yes, Rich, the Calvary is an all-in-one. Worked great for about 2 years on the old HR. I tried just about everything to get the HR to see it….. I changed eSata cables, reformatted the drive on my computer, even waved a magic wand, but no luck.

So, I took your advice and went looking for an eSata enclosure. The local Fry's did not have the Thermaltake, but they did have a Nexstar-3 which looked pretty good. I purchased one of those, and along with it a Seagate Barracuda 2TB since the Calvary was suspect. Took the new stuff home, slipped the drive into the enclosure, hooked up the eSata, and powered down the HR. I then turned on the drive enclosure, powered up the HR and SUCCESS! Got lots of space now.

Its a mystery why the Calvary would not work with the HR24-200, but I'll put it to use elsewhere………

Thanks for your help - Gary
You're welcome. Did you try the Cav's HDD in the enclosure (reading your post it sounds like you didn't) by any chance? The Cavs are easy to work on. The HDD just slides out and slides back in. If the HDD out of the Cav were to work in the enclosure, you'd solve the mystery, the chip set in the Cav enclosure is probably shot. 2 years out of a Cav is not bad.
Rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.