DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· AllStar
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two HR20-700's. I can confirm the downstairs one received the 0254 update early this morning and seems to be working just. In case it matters, that HR20-700 is connected HDMI to a Panasonic Plasma.

I presume since the downstairs until got 0254, the upstairs unit did too. It was working just fine last night. I was watching the All Star game until well after midnight Central. As of this morning, I am getting no picture. It is hooked up HDMI to a Toshiba Regza LCD. I have RBR'ed and power cycled NUMEROUS times to no avail.

Any thoughts? Anyone else having this problem? I do not believe in coincidences. This must have something to do with the update.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
ptimmerm said:
I have two HR20-700's. I can confirm the downstairs one received the 0254 update early this morning and seems to be working just. In case it matters, that HR20-700 is connected HDMI to a Panasonic Plasma.

I presume since the downstairs until got 0254, the upstairs unit did too. It was working just fine last night. I was watching the All Star game until well after midnight Central. As of this morning, I am getting no picture. It is hooked up HDMI to a Toshiba Regza LCD. I have RBR'ed and power cycled NUMEROUS times to no avail.

Any thoughts? Anyone else having this problem? I do not believe in coincidences. This must have something to do with the update.
Check your HDMI connection. Unplug it and plug it back in. If you still have no picture. Switch to cables. See if that works. If it does your HDMI port is done. If it doesn't your reciver is shot.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
As I stated in your issue post, try hooking up via component or composite to see if you can get a picture.

· AllStar
74 Posts
While it does sound fishy as far as coincidences you mention, my thoughts are this - and really only apply to my TV, but probably others:

If the picture is black and you don't see a TV generated message like: "No Source" or "No Signal" or simply something like "Input 4", then I would assume that the HR20 is still sending a feed to the TV - it's just black. And it that case I would be suspicious about the DVR. If the cable was bad, I would think you would get a similar message.

Also, when the picture is black, invoke a DVR menu to see if the menu is displayed and the picture-in-picture part is black.

Unless I'm misreading, you are saying this is happening to 2 TVs: Panasonic Plasma and Toshiba?

The switching cables and component suggestions are the best at this stage. Even try composite! But let us know the outcome.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
I’ve been having this problem with my HR20-700 connected to via HDMI my Panasonic TH50PZ-77U for about a month now (even before 0x235). It is very intermittent and the only solution is to turn off the TV and DVR, unplug the HDMI cable, count to ten (stand on my hand, touch my nose, throw salt, etc.) and then plug it back in and power on. This seems to work well until it happens again a day or two later.

The screen never goes black while watching TV; it only does this when powering on from standby. I also have noticed that when the HR20 is on and the TV is not, that it seems to happen almost every time. I have a composite connection from the HR20 to another TV on the patio that we often watch with the plasma being off. When we come back inside and switch on the plasma, we expect a picture, but it’s nearly always black.

My guess is that this is not a software release issue but something going on with the testing of HDCP over HDMI. For example, if the HR20’s HDMI port may “lock down” after so many seconds if it does not get a proper HDCP handshake. Once that happens, it won’t try another handshake until it senses a different device connected, thus the reason why powering off and unplugging the HDMI cable seems to reset it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.