DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the definition of "freezing" happening to me: The picture freezes on the screen, remote becomes unresponsive. A little while later, programming unfreezes only to continue to freeze soon after - and so on and so on.

> Live TV is fine.
> Recorded programming, CBS HD big brother, programming froze 17 minutes in.
> Recorded programming, SCIFI HD, eureka, programming froze 16 minutes in.
> Recorded programming, Discovery HD, mythbusters, programming froze 18 minutes in.

The DVR is behaving as if an internal memory buffer is getting filled (at a constant rate) and not getting flushed out quickly enough.

My standard def hr10 (unfortunately dedicated to backup duty for the hr20) has recorded this same programming fine.

I would normally say it seems obvious the DVR is the issue, but when gathering the information normally asked for I noticed that 103c, tuner 1, started out with two 0s, filled in the rest of the numbers, then the 0s were updated. I don't know if that is at all normal. It seems to happen when I slowly switch from 103s to 103c since (s) starts off with some 0s.

Ambient Temp: 78
Internal Temp: 125 F
Both BBC Temps: 94

Tuner 1
1-8: 0 (95) 0(95) 94 95 94 94 94 89 95
9-16: 94 94 91 96 92 95

Tuner 2
1-8: 96 96 95 95 94 94 90 95
9-16: 94 95 91 96 93 95

No multiswitch
No network
No OTA
Slimline 5 dish

I have the protection plan, so I think it's just easier to ask for a new box. But I wanted to ask if anyone had any magic bullet ideas before I go down that road. Does anyone have any insight into the next software release concerning major stability fixes? Maybe I'll just wait for the next software release.

PS - I don't think there is a way to backup settings to a thumb drive, right?

Thanks!

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Good to see someone else who has the sense to use the Protection Plan. Get a new box. Takes a day or two. FedEx delivers on Saturdays, if you call the PP today, you might have the replacement tomorrow or Monday. At least if the problem persists with the new box, you'll be reasonably sure the box isn't at fault. Sounds like it tho.

Rich

romulox said:
Here is the definition of "freezing" happening to me: The picture freezes on the screen, remote becomes unresponsive. A little while later, programming unfreezes only to continue to freeze soon after - and so on and so on.

> Live TV is fine.
> Recorded programming, CBS HD big brother, programming froze 17 minutes in.
> Recorded programming, SCIFI HD, eureka, programming froze 16 minutes in.
> Recorded programming, Discovery HD, mythbusters, programming froze 18 minutes in.

The DVR is behaving as if an internal memory buffer is getting filled (at a constant rate) and not getting flushed out quickly enough.

My standard def hr10 (unfortunately dedicated to backup duty for the hr20) has recorded this same programming fine.

I would normally say it seems obvious the DVR is the issue, but when gathering the information normally asked for I noticed that 103c, tuner 1, started out with two 0s, filled in the rest of the numbers, then the 0s were updated. I don't know if that is at all normal. It seems to happen when I slowly switch from 103s to 103c since (s) starts off with some 0s.

Ambient Temp: 78
Internal Temp: 125 F
Both BBC Temps: 94

Tuner 1
1-8: 0 (95) 0(95) 94 95 94 94 94 89 95
9-16: 94 94 91 96 92 95

Tuner 2
1-8: 96 96 95 95 94 94 90 95
9-16: 94 95 91 96 93 95

No multiswitch
No network
No OTA
Slimline 5 dish

I have the protection plan, so I think it's just easier to ask for a new box. But I wanted to ask if anyone had any magic bullet ideas before I go down that road. Does anyone have any insight into the next software release concerning major stability fixes? Maybe I'll just wait for the next software release.

PS - I don't think there is a way to backup settings to a thumb drive, right?

Thanks!

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, you're right. I'll do that, maybe tuesday. I've just noticed that the freezing is occurring on live TV now - and on an SD channel of all things! These freezes are being recorded from the stream (I know the SD channel broadcast is fine by going to another TV with an HR10). If the broadcast is fine, then that means the dish and signal are fine and leaves me with these possibilities:
1) it's the DVR
2) it's one of the tuners in the DVR
2.5) could it be the BBCs? Even an SD signal has to pass through it physically.
3) only the 2 coax cables running from the dish to the DVR are flawed?
4) The dish's built in lnb might be flakey causing a problem on only the coax lines going to the hr20.

I kind of doubt #3 and #4, but I guess I'll get the service tech out here to check every connector or any corrosion, test the lnb, and give me a new box and some new bbcs. Hope that's not asking for too much!

thanks rich!

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
romulox said:
yeah, you're right. I'll do that, maybe tuesday. I've just noticed that the freezing is occurring on live TV now - and on an SD channel of all things! These freezes are being recorded from the stream (I know the SD channel broadcast is fine by going to another TV with an HR10). If the broadcast is fine, then that means the dish and signal are fine and leaves me with these possibilities:
Good logic. Now for the bad news. I had similar problems with my first 21-700 and when I checked my 20-700s there was no problem. Got one replacement, another 21-700 and it did the same thing. The PP's first choice was to send another replacement. Refused that and my problem was sent to Case Management. Long story short. Got the dish replaced and most of the cabling and finally got what D* refers to as a "grounding block". After all that and two more realignments of the dish, the 21 started working correctly. Unfortunately, I have no idea which of the fixes finally solved the problem.

1) it's the DVR
See above.

2) it's one of the tuners in the DVR
Doubt that, but replacing the DVR will answer that question to some extent.

2.5) could it be the BBCs? Even an SD signal has to pass through it physically.
I've never had a bad BBC. Other people that I trust tell me they have. I kinda doubt if they are the problem.

3) only the 2 coax cables running from the dish to the DVR are flawed?
I wanna say, "Nah.", but with these things you never know.

4) The dish's built in lnb might be flakey causing a problem on only the coax lines going to the hr20.
Doubt that.

I kind of doubt #3 and #4, but I guess I'll get the service tech out here to check every connector or any corrosion, test the lnb, and give me a new box and some new bbcs. Hope that's not asking for too much!
Well, you are on the right track. Bear in mind, it might well be the dish and the installers usually have a new dish in the truck and it isn't much trouble to replace dishes. With that, you get new LNBs and a new multi-switch embedded in the dish.

thanks rich!
You're very welcome. When the installer comes, make sure he does everything you want him to. And if he does and your problem goes away, a nice tip is in order.

Rich

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.