DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· New Member
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here....But have been a DTV guy for many years now......I currently have the Hughes 10-250, and like most I have the huge issue with the 6.3 update dropping audio on local HD. Well, I *****ed to DTV and they sent me a new HR20-700.

My questions are:

1. Is the over the air feature enabled on these units...I remember reading that they were not functional at this time?

2. Is this unit better, worse, or about the same when compared to the 10-250?

3. I am reading about alot of issues with this HR20, and am wondering if I should just live with the 10-250...because once I activate the HR20, I have to send them the 10-250......I am not sure what to do.

Any help or advise would be very helpfull. I am hoping to hear from you guys who have the HR20, and are familiar with the 10-250.

I WAS happy with my 10-250 untill that annoying update.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
4,642 Posts
OTA is not enabled on the HR20. "Suppose" to be enabled in December. So instead of audio dropouts OTA you now have no OTA. I hope you at least have MPEG4 HD locals.

As far as "better/worse" or "richer/poorer" depends on who you ask. I'm reinstalling 3.1.5 on my HR10s due to the audio problem and some other strange issues with 6.3a. I used my 3.1.5 backup I created before hacking but as I understand it the $20 InstantCake CD has all the software/tools you need to restore your HR10 to 3.1.5.
 

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,090 Posts
1) It is not functionall at this time... but... If I was a betting man, I would say that possible by the time your order and have it installed, there is a very good chance it would be activated.

2) All depends on your opinion of the two units.

3) You shouldn't have to send them your HR10-250... unless they have changed their "offer" recently
 

· Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
Heynow312 said:
Newbie here....But have been a DTV guy for many years now......I currently have the Hughes 10-250, and like most I have the huge issue with the 6.3 update dropping audio on local HD. Well, I *****ed to DTV and they sent me a new HR20-700.

My questions are:

1. Is the over the air feature enabled on these units...I remember reading that they were not functional at this time?

2. Is this unit better, worse, or about the same when compared to the 10-250?

3. I am reading about alot of issues with this HR20, and am wondering if I should just live with the 10-250...because once I activate the HR20, I have to send them the 10-250......I am not sure what to do.

Any help or advise would be very helpfull. I am hoping to hear from you guys who have the HR20, and are familiar with the 10-250.

I WAS happy with my 10-250 untill that annoying update.
Next year the HR10 will be only good for SD, because all HD is going to the new Ka/MPEG4 Satellites. The only HD you will be able to get with the HR10 is what you can receive via OTA antenna.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
4,642 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
Next year the HR10 will be only good for SD, because all HD is going to the new Ka/MPEG4 Satellites. The only HD you will be able to get with the HR10 is what you can receive via OTA antenna.
That's correct. Hopefully by the time MPEG2 HDs are turned off the HR20 will have OTA capabilities, most all of it's current bugs have been ironed out and there's a plentiful supply of units so us HR10 users have a viable upgrade path.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
4,642 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
3) You shouldn't have to send them your HR10-250... unless they have changed their "offer" recently
From other posts it doesn't sound like you'd have to send in any unit since they're only selling to buyers willing to pay $299 on their credit card. Sounds like currently no upgrade deals nor even charging to your account.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
Wolffpack said:
From other posts it doesn't sound like you'd have to send in any unit since they're only selling to buyers willing to pay $299 on their credit card. Sounds like currently no upgrade deals nor even charging to your account.
I didn't have enough on my credit card initially, and DirecTV did apply the equipment cost for my HR20 to my account, and within a week I paid it. So if you insist on it, they will, but they don't advertise right off the bat.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
4,642 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
I didn't have enough on my credit card initially, and DirecTV did apply the equipment cost for my HR20 to my account, and within a week I paid it. So if you insist on it, they will, but they don't advertise right off the bat.
Did they still charge you the full $299?
 

· DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
96 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
1) It is not functionall at this time... but... If I was a betting man, I would say that possible by the time your order and have it installed, there is a very good chance it would be activated.
Love that answer. I just ordered my 2nd hr20 and am having it installed 12/4. I am betting that OTA will be enabled by then. We will see.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
Wolffpack said:
Did they still charge you the full $299?
At first the rep would not do it, but with persistence she said that it would be okay to apply it to my account and pay it within the grace period, or by next statement date. My account has been in good standing, never late. Most reps assume they can't apply equipment to accounts but the lady I spoke to checked with her supervisor who then showed her how to do it.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top