DBSTalk Forum banner

HR20-700 Replacement not possible?

830 Views 14 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Superfro
I apologize if this is the wrong spot, but I'm kind of in a desperate state here and need some advice.

I'm having the freeze/system stuck issues ever since the first software upgrade in July. The 2nd software upgrade to 254 hasn't fixed the problem for me at all. As of last Thursday, the normal reboot "fix" also decided to completely reset my reciever, removing all of my recordings and settings. At this point I'm just wanting to replace the receiver but DirecTV won't allow me to do so, as they're saying this problem is affecting everyone and there's nothing I can do till they fix the software. The software they haven't done anything about since 7/16.

Can anyone else give me any advice, or confirm that this is indeed the case. At this point I'm just completely tired of jumping through their hoops over the issue.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Welcome to DBStalk. I haven't had any problems. I don't think this is widespread, but I'm just one. Good Luck.
I decided to try an esata drive on my HR20-700 that was having the lockups and freezes. No more problems. I changed to esata while on the 0254 NR and problems went away. Since then I have updated to the latest CE without any problems. HR20 is problem free for about 2 weeks now.

Not an inexpensive fix, but I'm happy.
does this happen on recordings or live tv? or both?
ukdave said:
I decided to try an esata drive on my HR20-700 that was having the lockups and freezes. No more problems. I changed to esata while on the 0254 NR and problems went away. Since then I have updated to the latest CE without any problems. HR20 is problem free for about 2 weeks now.

Not an inexpensive fix, but I'm happy.
Like he said, it could be a hard drive problem.
Thanks for the info thus far. Been a long time lurker, but haven't had any need for posting till this whole software thing. :nono2:

turey22 said:
does this happen on recordings or live tv? or both?
Happens on recordings probably 50%-75% of the time. Happens on Live TV probably 50% of the time, but only after I rewind or pause. Then when it plays it starts skipping or freezing. When it unfreezes and I can change the channel, it goes back to being fine as long as I'm watching live TV. I'm also experiencing crazy slow response times from the remote/menus.

I know it's not as widespread as the tech reps would have me believe, and honestly, I know that most of them don't even know what they're talking about. I've talked to 4 people there since Friday and have heard 4 different things. I'm just not understanding why I can't get the unit replaced, as it's obviously not working or going to.
anybody else has something. i was thinking it might of be a hdd problem but i really dont know maybe someone else has some extra advice. now it cant be affecting everyone cause i have the same model and no problems at this end
turey22 said:
anybody else has something. i was thinking it might of be a hdd problem but i really dont know maybe someone else has some extra advice. now it cant be affecting everyone cause i have the same model and no problems at this end
It happened at the exact same time as the software change over in July, so I guess it's possible that the software triggered something to fail, I don't know.

I just got of the phone with my next attempt to work out the situation with DirecTV and after a 5 minute conversation I have a replacement unit coming out to me. :) Hopefully it'll be smooth sailing from here on out once I get it hooked up.

Thanks again for everyone's help! :D
I would call and say cancel when asked why you are calling and then tell retention the problems you are having. Are you on the protection plan ? This is one reason I get it. I just had a HR20-100 swapped out because it would not pick up HD. While the new reciever was coming the problem seemed to fix itself. Since I own the HR20-100 I was able to keep them both. :), Oh and to my suprise they sent me a HR20-700 instead of the HR21. It is refurbished but that is ok with me
Superfro said:
It happened at the exact same time as the software change over in July, so I guess it's possible that the software triggered something to fail, I don't know.

I just got of the phone with my next attempt to work out the situation with DirecTV and after a 5 minute conversation I have a replacement unit coming out to me. :) Hopefully it'll be smooth sailing from here on out once I get it hooked up.

Thanks again for everyone's help! :D
Oops I did not see this post. Glad you got it fixed
now it probably wont be a HR20-700 but a hr21 and if you have an over the air antenna you will need a am21
Superfro said:
I just got of the phone with my next attempt to work out the situation with DirecTV and after a 5 minute conversation I have a replacement unit coming out to me. :)
Hey, enjoy your ride on the D* Carousel of Policy! :)

Having the HR2x format the HD upon a standard reboot is a common symptom of a bad hard drive. The fact that it just started happening after the July software update is likely just coincidence.
redram38 said:
I would call and say cancel when asked why you are calling and then tell retention the problems you are having. Are you on the protection plan ? This is one reason I get it. I just had a HR20-100 swapped out because it would not pick up HD. While the new reciever was coming the problem seemed to fix itself. Since I own the HR20-100 I was able to keep them both. :), Oh and to my suprise they sent me a HR20-700 instead of the HR21. It is refurbished but that is ok with me
I do have the protection plan, which is what made this all the more irritating. :rolleyes:

turey22 said:
now it probably wont be a HR20-700 but a hr21 and if you have an over the air antenna you will need a am21
I do use an OTA antenna, but I'm not sure I follow. Can you please elaborate? Thanks!
Superfro said:
I do use an OTA antenna, but I'm not sure I follow. Can you please elaborate? Thanks!
Do you have the OTA antenna connected to your HR20, or is it just connected directly to your TV? If you do us it on the HR20 and if you receive an HR21 as a replacement, it does not have the ability to directly connect an OTA antenna. There is a change you will get a refurb HR20, but if not, and you get the HR21 and do need OTA, you will have to call D8 to get an AM21. It's an external box that you plug into the HR21's USB port and it gives it OTA antenna connectivity. The AM21 is usually sold for $50, but if you call and ask nicely, explaining that your HR20 was replaced with an HR21 under the PP, then they might send it to you for no charge. Also not that they can't even sell you one until the HR21 is activate on your account, so wait until then to call and request it.
rudeney said:
Do you have the OTA antenna connected to your HR20, or is it just connected directly to your TV? If you do us it on the HR20 and if you receive an HR21 as a replacement, it does not have the ability to directly connect an OTA antenna. There is a change you will get a refurb HR20, but if not, and you get the HR21 and do need OTA, you will have to call D8 to get an AM21. It's an external box that you plug into the HR21's USB port and it gives it OTA antenna connectivity. The AM21 is usually sold for $50, but if you call and ask nicely, explaining that your HR20 was replaced with an HR21 under the PP, then they might send it to you for no charge. Also not that they can't even sell you one until the HR21 is activate on your account, so wait until then to call and request it.
Ugh....:(

Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad I have the info prior to it showing up at least, so I can prepare myself. If I end up needing I'll guarantee that I won't be paying for it. :p
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top