DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just watching tv and noticed the blue light on my hr20-700 was sitting on the 480p resolution. I had 1080p as the only one checked in the settings. I tried to change format with the format button but 480p was the only choice. I went into settings and somehow the screen resolution got changed to 480p so i checked 1080p and unchecked 480p. Went back to live tv but the only choice i still have it 480p.

I went back into settings 480p isnt even selected only 1080p. I cant change the resolution to 1080 with my remote or the button on the dvr. I even restarted my DCR.

I have again an hr20-700 via hdmi to a Panny Viera 1080p Tv

Any feedback would be appricated?

· Legend
168 Posts
It's probably the new graphical interface that downloaded about a month ago. Reboot and then you should be in 480i. Push and hold the EXIT button for about 5 seconds, and it should pop you into 1080i which is what you're after. This disables your program list and other features if you're connected using composite, but they should work with the HDMI HD output. To get back, push and hold the EXIT button again.
I've had problems with my HR20 getting fowled up sometimes when going back and forth and it does something like you're describing. Reboot and it should start working again.

· Hall Of Fame
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No i got the new HD GUI back in december and i havent had this issue. Ur fix didnt do anything.

What do u mean u've had problems "going back and forth". I've been using this new software like i said since december and it's never put me into another resolution on it's own.

I dont know what to do i've restarted twice. The reso button on the front doesnt change anything and it's funny when i press the format button on the remote to try and change the resolution it pops up it's on 480pm but the popup is darkened out like all the lettering is a bit dark instead white lettering. Then if i try to hit the info button and go to audio/video on the info banner the change resolution and format is darkened out.

· Registered
14,539 Posts
You're trying to only use 1080p when only 1080p OnDemand are 1080p. Select/check 1080i and use that. You can't force non 1080p channels to output at 1080p.

· Hall Of Fame
2,784 Posts
"gregftlaud" said:
I was just watching tv and noticed the blue light on my hr20-700 was sitting on the 480p resolution. I had 1080p as the only one checked in the settings. I tried to change format with the format button but 480p was the only choice. I went into settings and somehow the screen resolution got changed to 480p so i checked 1080p and unchecked 480p. Went back to live tv but the only choice i still have it 480p.

I went back into settings 480p isnt even selected only 1080p. I cant change the resolution to 1080 with my remote or the button on the dvr. I even restarted my DCR.

I have again an hr20-700 via hdmi to a Panny Viera 1080p Tv

Any feedback would be appricated?
Interesting. My HR20-700 did the exact same thing today. Out of the blue, I noticed the GUI looked terrible. I hit the "format" button and it would only cycle through 480. I had to manually re-check 1080i (along with 1080p) in the setup.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
also know that the "format" button on the DirecTV remote control, cycles through all available resolutions AND formats that have been selected on the set up menu. On the other hand, the RESolution button on the front panel of the receiver just cycles to all the resolutions, regardless of what is checked on the set up menu

· Hall Of Fame
2,784 Posts
gregftlaud said:
I already tried to also check the 1080i.......then went back to live tv and it wont let me swtich from 480p (even though 480p isnt even checked!!!)
Try rebooting first. When I fixed my issue, I rebooted (thinking that would take care of it but it didn't). After the reboot, I then went into setup and selected 1080i, hit "format" again on the remote and it cycled through the 1080i settings fixing the problem.

· Icon
896 Posts
If rebooting doesn't work, call or login to your D* account and make sure you're still paying the HD fee. And/or have D* reauthorize that box.

If the box thinks you're not eligible for HD, 480p is the max. resolution it'll output.

· Hall Of Fame
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
already rebooted and already checked my account for hd (plus if i wasnt paying or even authorized for hd....... hd channels wouldnt come up .....as i have sd duplicated hidden). also did a reauthoriztion. i do not want to call tech support they never help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.