DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the HR20 for three weeks now. The first week no problems at all. Very happy with picture and the unit functioned perfectly. Second week (last Wednesday) froze while recording Lost- could not perform any functions with the machine. Waited until Lost was over (hoping it was still recording), rebooted the unit with the red button, took 10 minutes to boot up, get to the recording list and Lost is lost, nowhere to be found. So the next day I searched this forum and discovered it is a known bug, which made me feel better that D* knows about it and is fixing it.

Third week- Tuesday at 8:00 CST discover unit is not recording The Unit, so I press the red button again, wait 10 minutes for it to reboot and it finally starts recording the last 50 minutes of the show. But wait, I had a show scheduled for 7 PM, think it recorded, of course not. Getting really upset now. Had to switch over to my SIX YEAR OLD ORIGINAL DIRECTIVO to watch the 7 PM show in standard definition. Good thing I left all my shows to record on the old unit.

Last night, looking forward to watching the "mid-season finale" of Lost. Start watching the program at about 8:45. Pressed play from the recording list and the machine starts the program about 5 minutes in. The status bar said it was at 0:00 on the progress bar, but when I hit rewind, it went back about 5 minutes and under the progress bar it said 0:-5, never saw that before. Get to about 45 minutes left and the picture froze, no further recording was available. So now it is about 9:30 and look at the box and it isn't recording the 9 PM showing of "The Nine". Hit the red buttion, wait 10 minutes, then it finally starts recording "The Nine" with 10 minutes left (what good does 10 minutes of a 60 minute program do me?)

This machine sucks. The picture quality is outstanding, which I expect from HD. Everything else is horrible. D*TV should make up with TiVo and send them an armored truck full of cash to get TiVo back on board. Like I said I have one of the original Directivo units. It functioned perfectly right out of the box, and six years later never had one problem with it. I paid $300 for the HR20 and it can't do what it is designed to do, record a scheduled program with no user input. I almost don't trust this unit to start recording that I may have to start manually pressing record just to make sure it records. All I ask is for this thing to record 2-3 hours of HD programming at night and NFL football on Sunday. It can't do that, so what did I buy this thing for???
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
What other issues are you having with the box, to say "Everything else is horrible"... Other then Two episodes of LOST, and the "The Nine"

The issues you listed about lost (the Negative Time, and freeze up), as you said, are known issues... and the version that is rolling out right now 0xEB, is targeting at least the first one specifically (deleting after a restart)...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
90 Posts
Guy is right, it's horrible, they better fix it by the end of football season is all I can say, the whole set up with the Ka/Ku you sucks, I don't even have MPEG2 HD because I think my 110/119 LNB went out, they are coming out for the upteenth time, this time to replace it supposedly this Friday but it's supposed to rain. They sent me two replacement HR20's but we realized that was not the problem and keep wanting them back, but i've told them and I am holding them hostage until they fix my problems and it works for at least a week. They were not pleased but I said too bad.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
367 Posts
Another one of these threads!!! Oy, my head hurts.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
geaux1 said:
Guy is right, it's horrible, they better fix it by the end of football season is all I can say, the whole set up with the Ka/Ku you sucks, I don't even have MPEG2 HD because I think my 110/119 LNB went out, they are coming out for the upteenth time, this time to replace it supposedly this Friday but it's supposed to rain. They sent me two replacement HR20's but we realized that was not the problem and keep wanting them back, but i've told them and I am holding them hostage until they fix my problems and it works for at least a week. They were not pleased but I said too bad.
If your 110/119 LNB went out, you may have an entire assembly issue with your AT9... which is independent of your HR20 and which in turn could be causing you some of the problems you are having.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
glennb said:
Everything with my HR20 is going great.

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having.

Maybe it's time to get rid of the box if it's making you so unhappy.
brewer4 said:
Another one of these threads!!! Oy, my head hurts.
Yes... and more or less... we are going to see them... and probably forever.

So yes... there are people that have working boxes, and people that don't have working boxes.

So please... let try and HELP the OP of this thread (and any other one), to at least figure out what is going on... if there is a way to correct the problem (even if that ultimately does lead to turning off the HR20 and leave DirecTV... even though that is the LAST and ultimate thing to resort to... it is an option)....

Just as I don't want to see posts.... This thing sucks.. (with no details on why), I don't want to see... Mine is great... just to point it out..

Deal?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
glennb said:
Everything with my HR20 is going great.

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having.
Thats fine ... but why do you have to say

glennb said:
Maybe it's time to get rid of the box if it's making you so unhappy.
It is just rude, hell he has only made 2 posts ever, I don' t get it, what is the need to be so demeaning. This guy is just sharing his experience. I think everyone is happy you are having a positive one. Why don't you tell him to just get the hell out of here you are not welcome unless you have a positive experience? I just don't get the need to put down those who are having problems with passive aggressive comments like that.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
btmoore said:
Thats fine ... but why do you have to say

It is just rude, hell he has only made 2 posts ever, I don' t get it, what is the need to be so demeaning. This guy is just sharing his experience. I think everyone is happy you are having a positive one. Why don't you tell him to just get the hell out of here you are not welcome unless you have a positive experience? I just don't get the need to put down those who are having problems with passive aggressive comments like that.
Exactly.... please... this forum is a place to get answers for your issues.
Or at least more information about your issues.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been with D* for 8 1/2 years and would rather have this service than cable. I don't want to get rid of D*, I just want a unit that works. I contacted D* technical support today and they are passing on my complaint to the engineering department. All they told me is it is a known bug and they are working on it, something I already knew. One positive about the call is I didn't have to wait to talk to someone, very unusual.

There are many issues I have with the box compared to my 6 year old SD original directivo, mostly with the software since D* can't use some things TiVo has a patent on. The most noteworthy is fast forwarding then pressing play it doesn't back up a few seconds. I can live with using the replay button to back up 6 seconds at a time, but that was such a nice feature on the original unit.

Maybe I was a little strong on using the word "horrible". But when the machine doesn't do what it is suppossed to do, record programs, a person has a right to be mad.

D* sucks you into a 2 year contract for the machine. If you terminate the service early there is a penalty. If the customer is truly unhappy with the machine after being patient with it for say a month is there any chance of returning the unit and not being penalized and perhaps getting a refund of the $300?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
bovac97 said:
Maybe I was a little strong on using the word "horrible". But when the machine doesn't do what it is suppossed to do, record programs, a person has a right to be mad.

D* sucks you into a 2 year contract for the machine. If you terminate the service early there is a penalty. If the customer is truly unhappy with the machine after being patient with it for say a month is there any chance of returning the unit and not being penalized and perhaps getting a refund of the $300?
Not at all man, this box has pissed off many of us. You invest time, effort, and even credibility with your family with it, so you expect it to work as a basic DVR with out having to fight with D*s support staff and installers, you have good reason to be angry about the problems you are having. You are not the first to call the HR20 crap. Hopefully it will improve, I can tell you I have had the exact same problems, I don't want to speak too early but, the new version of the software does appear more stable, I have experienced some strange things still but no partials or unwatchable recordings as of yet (knock on wood). The good or maybe bad thing is you should be getting new software if not now, in the next few days. Hopefully it resolves these issues.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank btmoore for the good words. I'll check the machine for the new software when I get home. I have read that my machine can't get the new update until D* says my machine is ready, but I have read some people try to force a download anyway. Haven't done a search on how to do that yet, but can someone tell me quickly how to do that?
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
bovac97 said:
Thank btmoore for the good words. I'll check the machine for the new software when I get home. I have read that my machine can't get the new update until D* says my machine is ready, but I have read some people try to force a download anyway. Haven't done a search on how to do that yet, but can someone tell me quickly how to do that?
When starting up... first "Welcome" screen 02468 one time

But... as you said, it won't get the software unless it is authorized.
And if it is authorized, it tries to update once an hour.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another question- do these machines really take a long time, like 10 minutes, to start up? I wasn't kidding when I said it takes mine 10 minutes to boot.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
bovac97 said:
Another question- do these machines really take a long time, like 10 minutes, to start up? I wasn't kidding when I said it takes mine 10 minutes to boot.
Yup they do.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Exactly.... please... this forum is a place to get answers for your issues.
Or at least more information about your issues.
Earl,

You might also want to mention this forum isn't a place to come and say - HR20 a piece of crap!, This machine sucks !, etc...
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
156 Posts
The HR10 takes almost that long as well. It has the two bootup screens, then has to acquire data from the satellite.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
glennb said:
Earl,

You might also want to mention this forum isn't a place to come and say - HR20 a piece of crap!, This machine sucks !, etc...
I have... but often "this machine sucks" is a gut reaction to the frustration that a problem is causing.

Sure, I would rather see the titles change and stuff like that, but so long as we get to the actual "reason" for the post, and can discuss it...

I really personal don't like to see either extreme in the posts and threads.. (It's great, It sucks)....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
bovac97 said:
I have been with D* for 8 1/2 years and would rather have this service than cable. I don't want to get rid of D*, I just want a unit that works. I contacted D* technical support today and they are passing on my complaint to the engineering department. All they told me is it is a known bug and they are working on it, something I already knew. One positive about the call is I didn't have to wait to talk to someone, very unusual.

There are many issues I have with the box compared to my 6 year old SD original directivo, mostly with the software since D* can't use some things TiVo has a patent on. The most noteworthy is fast forwarding then pressing play it doesn't back up a few seconds. I can live with using the replay button to back up 6 seconds at a time, but that was such a nice feature on the original unit.

Maybe I was a little strong on using the word "horrible". But when the machine doesn't do what it is suppossed to do, record programs, a person has a right to be mad.

D* sucks you into a 2 year contract for the machine. If you terminate the service early there is a penalty. If the customer is truly unhappy with the machine after being patient with it for say a month is there any chance of returning the unit and not being penalized and perhaps getting a refund of the $300?
Just expect when you complain about the box out of frustration, you will hear about it from those whose boxes have worked perfectly since day one. I have no reason to doubt the latter group's veracity, but for whatever reason, they don't like to hear others complain about the HR20, no matter what words are used.

Sorry Earl, but this situation is pretty obvious. Bovac97, out of frustration, detailed his problems (okay, so he didn't choose the perfect language, but he was upset, as he noted) and sure enough, the "why don't you send it back, moron" posts soon arrived, right on schedule.

Again, no one with a problem box has initially attacked someone with a perfect box for saying so, unless they have been provoked. It's not about the "what a POS" vs. "mine works great" language. It's about the hostility and disrespect people face because they dare complain about a piece of equipment they count on for recording. You're right, it's time it stopped. But ranting about a machine is one thing, insulting someone for doing it is another. There is a difference, as many of us have argued from the beginning.

Admittedly, when people make these insulting posts, some of us take exception and resort fo similar verbal tactics, but it's only natural to respond in kind. That's when those making the initial smart-ass, insulting comments resort to the "Gee whiz, where'd all the civility go?" red herring.

You're right. It's getting old.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
2 Posts
Anyone know how to fast forward faster instead of hitting the button 3 times. on my HR 10 Tivo if you was fastforwarding you would simply hit the ->| button and it forwarded you to the next line or a big chunk.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
IeetPooC said:
Anyone know how to fast forward faster instead of hitting the button 3 times. on my HR 10 Tivo if you was fastforwarding you would simply hit the ->| button and it forwarded you to the next line or a big chunk.
Skip To Tick Forward: Hold FF for 3s
Skip to Tick Reverse: Hold RW for 3s

Jump to End: Hold Forward Advance (30s slip) for 3 seconds
Jump to Start: Hold Jump Back for 3 seconds
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top