Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Legend
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Went to CC today, and picked up the HR20. Got home connected all the cables and turned it on.

Got my first screen (Setup 1 of 2...) and then went blank (nothing on TV). The 4 LED lights (resolution) kept circulating and nothing else would happen. Tried both HDMI and Compenent.

Talk to HD tech. and couldn't solve the problem. They are shipping a replacement.

Anyone else have this problem.

Frank

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
You said you tried HDMI and component. Which one did you start with first? Did you switch from one to the other without unplugging the HR20 beforehand? Also, did the tech you spoke to ask you to try formatting the HR20 (hold down the Down and Record buttons during startup)?

·
5 Posts
I had the same issue when I intially set up my HR20.

The solution was to use the old fashion RCA cables and make sure you are set to 480i and on the right tv input.

As soon as I walk through the setup this way, I was able to re-connect with my HMDI cable and set the resolution to 1080p.

Hopefully this helps.

Brian

·
Legend
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PoitNarf said:
You said you tried HDMI and component. Which one did you start with first? Did you switch from one to the other without unplugging the HR20 beforehand? Also, did the tech you spoke to ask you to try formatting the HR20 (hold down the Down and Record buttons during startup)?
Started with HDMI first, then Component (unplugging in between).

Yes the Tech asked me to hold the Down and Record button, but not during startup.

It was a big headache, that's why I'm writing here (you guys). Plus the kegorator went empty, was getting ready for Football.

·
Legend
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brian_h said:
I had the same issue when I intially set up my HR20.

The solution was to use the old fashion RCA cables and make sure you are set to 480i and on the right tv input.

Brian
Stupid question, how do I set to 480i, when I can't past the first screen.

Frank

·
Legend
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have a 3lnb dish, waiting for the new 5lnb.

Do I have to use the B-Band converters? They (DTV techs) said yes.

Frank

·
Hall Of Fame
1,758 Posts
djfrankie said:

Frank
The (RES) button next to the indicator LEDs changes the resolutions.

djfrankie said:
I do have a 3lnb dish, waiting for the new 5lnb.

Do I have to use the B-Band converters? They (DTV techs) said yes.
The B-Band connectors are not required yet, some even have corrected problems by removing these connectors.

·
Legend
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DVDKingdom said:
The (RES) button next to the indicator LEDs changes the resolutions.

The B-Band connectors are not required yet, some even have corrected problems by removing these connectors.
Thanks, will try all above at 4, watching the bad Redskins. If I press the (RES) button, should that stop at 480i?

And, I will leave the B-Band connectors off.

Frank

·
5 Posts
djfrankie said:

Frank
When this happened to me, the resolution was already pre-set to 480i (which is all you can get with RCA cables anyways). I was stupid in how I said it. For some reason, my Samsung LCD cannot handle 480i through HDMI or Component cables.

All that I had to do was switch inputs on the TV and plug in RCA cables while the lights were blinking through the resolutions. The setup screen was there as soon as I switch to RCA cables.

It took me a good 45 minutes to figure this out when it happened to me.

Brian

·
Legend
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
brian_h said:
When this happened to me, the resolution was already pre-set to 480i (which is all you can get with RCA cables anyways). I was stupid in how I said it. For some reason, my Samsung LCD cannot handle 480i through HDMI or Component cables.

All that I had to do was switch inputs on the TV and plug in RCA cables while the lights were blinking through the resolutions. The setup screen was there as soon as I switch to RCA cables.

It took me a good 45 minutes to figure this out when it happened to me.

Brian
I also have a Samsung LCD, i will try it. Do you switch to HDMI after setup and activation?

Frank

·
5 Posts
djfrankie said:
I also have a Samsung LCD, i will try it. Do you switch to HDMI after setup and activation?

Frank
yes. you can plug in the HDMI cable and switch to what ever resolution you want...as long as it isn't 480i.

Also...one thing crazy about my Samsung LCD is if I use the optical audio output from the tv, every time the TV turns on it switches the Receiver to Stereo mode instead of Dolby Digital or Prologic. Are you seeing the same issue? My problem went away when I moved the optical audio output from the TV to the HR20.

Brian

·
Legend
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, it worked (with component).

When can I switch to HDMI, how do I get 1080i res to show?

Frank

·
5 Posts
djfrankie said:

Frank
As soon as I was watching TV, I just change cables to HDMI and hit the format button on the remote until I was on 1080i.

Brian

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
djfrankie said:

Frank
I think this is one of the first problem/solution pairs I added to my troubleshooting guide. Glad you've resolved the issue.

·
Legend
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, everything is working great, except the HDMI. Switched as Brian side, but no picture and the audio kept coming in and out (using optical).

I do have the RES set at 1080i, with component. It seems to very happy. The picture is amazing, and will leave it this way, until I can get a chance and look into it further and catch a breath. After all this BS, from the DTV Tech, I just want to enjoy a little TV.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Will keep everyone posted.

If I can't get the HDMI, to be happy, I will just have to buy a DVD player with HDMI upconvert :) .

Frank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.