DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Legend
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few threads comparing the HR20 to an (admittedly non-existent) MPEG4 HD Directivo. In these threads some people have stated that they love their HR20 and that they wouldn't give it up for an MPEG4 HD Directivo because of the additional features of the HR20.

I've had the HR20 for around a month now and it's been fine for me. However, as a longtime Directivo owner I've been a little disappointed.

I am honestly curious what the additonal features of the HR20 are? I can think of 2 off the top of my head:
- Much faster in several circumstances (setting up recording especially)
- The 'Active' stuff: weather, interactive mix channels.

Please let me know what I am missing? Specifically, I am looking for the advantages of the HR20 over a hypothetical MPEG4 HD Directivo, over and above what I've already mentioned. I already know the advantages of the reverse comparison.

Please don't flame the HR20 or HR10.
 

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,090 Posts
-) Caller-ID
-) One Line Guide
-) Picture In Guide
-) External Hard Drive Support / Upgrade options that dont' require a PC
-) Space Usage Indicator
-) All video outputs active at one time
-) Native RF remote support (with no antenna)
-) On Screen Menu (aka menu based actions don't require you to go the full screen menu of TiVo)

The "faster" options are significant as are the Interactive additions.
 

· Founder
Joined
·
17,247 Posts
Earl pretty much summed it up. The HR20 interface has features that Tivo should have had years ago. Hard drive space remaining? Come on Tivo. How hard could it be to program that???

One of my favorite features is the fact that all video outputs are active at the same time. Very nice for someone watching HDTV on one TV and SD on a TV in another room.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
156 Posts
Some things I like that Earl left out...

  • The ability to record MPEG4, which takes up less hard drive space
  • Two sets of L/R audio outputs (this helps me hook it to both my TV and the DVD recorder)
  • Ethernet port (future use)
  • Larger hard drive (300 vs. 250)
  • Native mode
  • Bookmarks
  • Larger live buffer (90 vs. 30 minutes)
  • Cool blue rotating wheel thingie
 

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,090 Posts
Starrbuck said:
Some things I like that Earl left out...

  • The ability to record MPEG4, which takes up less hard drive space
  • Two sets of L/R audio outputs (this helps me hook it to both my TV and the DVD recorder)
  • Ethernet port (future use)
  • Larger hard drive (300 vs. 250)
  • Native mode
  • Bookmarks
  • Larger live buffer (90 vs. 30 minutes)
  • Cool blue rotating wheel thingie
I left the MPEG-4 bit out because the OP wanted us to compare to a theoreticl MPEG-4 DTivo

I thought the DTivos did have two set's of L/R audio outputs.

Even though the hard drive is "larger", when you take out the "reserved" space,the hard drive nets out the same.... but the fact that is SATA and thus has a higher "I/O" pipe speed....
 

· Legend
Joined
·
156 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I left the MPEG-4 bit out because the OP wanted us to compare to a theoreticl MPEG-4 DTivo

I thought the DTivos did have two set's of L/R audio outputs.

Even though the hard drive is "larger", when you take out the "reserved" space,the hard drive nets out the same.... but the fact that is SATA and thus has a higher "I/O" pipe speed....
Ah, interesting points. Sorry I didn't pick up on those.

The HR10 only has one set of audio (I was using a set of splitters to do the two feeds), but I do think the HDVR2 has two, so likely the MPEG4 DTiVo might have had two as well.
 

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,090 Posts
Dusty said:
You may not care, but I like this very much. No need to hook up the phone line for software upgrade.
Ahh... forgot another.

The purchase PPV AFTER recording.

Basically, you can RECORD any PPV event when it is on, and then pay for it when/if you are ready to watch it. (with in a time frame though, you can't purchase it years after recording it)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,952 Posts
Just J said:
Also simplifies recording off to DVD-R/VHS....
Which could be made even more simple with a "tune to" choice similar to recording. That way we could record to the HD and our DVD machines at the same time without having to "replay" the entire program, just so we can make a DVD of a program.

My Sammy 360 had that feature...my TV has that feature...it seems like D* didn't consider how those video outputs might be used very well. I won't write it off to a conspiracy, just short-sighted. They address recording to VCR in the manual...it doesn't take much thought to see how inefficient it is to have to record, then replay to record to DVD...silly.

Hopefully, before they get bored with the HR20 development, they will put this feature in.
 

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
Joined
·
4,107 Posts
This is a great thread!

I added many of your thoughts to the TiVo to HR20 Survival Guide.

The 1-page Version 0.9 of the Survival Guide had over 600 downlaods.

With your input and input from dozens of others, Version 1.0 expands from 1 to 2 pages:
+ Details 26 Features the HR20 adds
+ Better help in finding key features
+ Designed to be printed on the front and back of one page.

When you look at the 26 new features that the HR-20 brings, it is easy to see why so much programming is involved. I am happier to have had the HR20, warts and all, these weeks than still be waiting until all of the glitches were fixed. That day will never come.

Let me know what you think about the Survival Guide! Give me more to add!

- Craig
 

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
Joined
·
9,882 Posts
* One touch recording, especially from a saved search but also in the guide.
* Mini-guide (blue button)
* My VOD (My Playlist) right from the main menu. Hit menu, My VOD and all your programs are right there and autoplay when selected.
* Sunday Ticket Interactive. God's gift to fantasy football.
* Fast, fast, fast
* No phone line needed
 

· Legend
Joined
·
156 Posts
harsh said:
I'm pretty sure that this "advantage" is spoiled by the set-aside for VOD.
Someone already pointed that out. Still, the fact is that the HR10 has a 250 and the HR20 has a 300.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
38 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Ahh... forgot another.

The purchase PPV AFTER recording.

Basically, you can RECORD any PPV event when it is on, and then pay for it when/if you are ready to watch it. (with in a time frame though, you can't purchase it years after recording it)
I didn't know this! Is it possible that this feature causes the inability to record/view NHL Center Ice (or other sports subscriptions)? Here's what I'm thinking. You can watch the PPV when it is authorized. The moment an NHL game ends on Center Ice, it is no longer "authorized" so while it may have recorded, you no longer have access to it?

BTW, how does this work? Do you record the PPV, and then you go to play it, you have an option to pay in order to watch? I have avoided PPV with the HR20, since I figured it would be subject to the sports subscription bug.
 

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,090 Posts
islesfan44 said:
I didn't know this! Is it possible that this feature causes the inability to record/view NHL Center Ice (or other sports subscriptions)? Here's what I'm thinking. You can watch the PPV when it is authorized. The moment an NHL game ends on Center Ice, it is no longer "authorized" so while it may have recorded, you no longer have access to it?

BTW, how does this work? Do you record the PPV, and then you go to play it, you have an option to pay in order to watch? I have avoided PPV with the HR20, since I figured it would be subject to the sports subscription bug.
I don't think it is related to the NHL stuff (or any sports subscriptions).

When you go to play a recorded PPV, you are then presented with the cost and the option to pay for the program.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top