DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked a bunch of the other threads here and have seen some posts here and there about trouble with Dolby Digital and the HR20. I had my HR20 installed last weekend and during the install the tech mentioned that although the box is attached to my surround receiver (Yamaha HTR-5640), the surround does not work. He warned if I enable it that it will cause more problems than I can imagine. I call BS, but wanted to double check. I tried enabling it last night, but it didn't work. It didn't cause any problems, the receiver just never picked up a DD signal. I am on 0xDC.

Any truth to what the tech said and if not, is there anything I need to do to get the receiver to pickup the signal? The receiver works fine with my Xbox 360 and DVD.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
There is truth in everything... there it at least 1 person out of all the HR20 owners that has had a problem with DD turned on.... does that mean the DD causes "more problems then it is worth", absolutley not. DD does work on the HR20 and in the vast majority of cases causes no issues.

Are you going through a switcher with this optical cable?
Have you doubled checked the input on your receiver to make sure it is set to DD or at least to some sort of Auto setting... and that the correct optical input is selected for that video input (I have had that problem on my amp)

Are you on a channel that is actually generating a DD signal?
Are you sure that the audio is selected to DD (sometimes there is more then one audio track, check the side menu, or hit the yellow button)
Are you getting audio if you turn off DD, and just use PCM via the optical connection.

Lastly... try a reboot of your HR20

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll check it out tonight. Right now PCM is working fine, just DD isn't. If I unhook the HR20 and plug it into the Xbox, it works great. No switches, splitters, etc. I'll try again tonight and use a reset as a last grab.

Thanks again for the answers.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
581 Posts
azelesko said:
Thanks. I'll check it out tonight. Right now PCM is working fine, just DD isn't. If I unhook the HR20 and plug it into the Xbox, it works great. No switches, splitters, etc. I'll try again tonight and use a reset as a last grab.

Thanks again for the answers.
Your Yamaha receiver may not be set up to take DD on that input. Check your menu system for that receiver like Earl said.

·
2 Posts
I have a similar issue with DD. Brand new HD subscriber, long time DTV customer. Pre-HD setup was Hughes SD-DVR40 (35 hour TiVo unit); sound was connected via AC-3 optical to Harmon Kardon AVR320 feeding five Polk satellites + Infinity sub. With DVR40 set to Dolby Digital "ON", whenever a channel was selected with a 5.1 track, the AVR320 automatically switched over to DD mode. My preferred mode for anything not DD is receiver's "5 Channel Stereo" setting -- especially for sports since it provides a more stadium-like sound.

When I similarly set up my new HR20 (whose GUI is completely and totally inferior to the DVR40 by the way...separate topic) to Dolby Digital "ON", I've experienced inconsistent behavior from the HR20. Initially, I couldn't get any channel -- HD or SD -- to go 5.1 (side note: I also have a hard time just finding IF a program has a DD track on the Info menu). Then just yesterday, I couldn't get HD channels OUT of DD mode -- the receiver wouldn't respond to any command to come out of DD, as if the only signal it was receiving and sending was DD. Very strange. While watching college football on ESPN HD, the receiver wouldn't come out of DD mode and only powered the three front speakers. I turned the HR 20 to DD "OFF" and then got back to 5 Ch Stereo.

Sooo, receiver anomaly or HR20 anomaly? If one sets the HR20 to DD "ON", do the HD channels only output DD 5.1?

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
azelesko said:
I checked a bunch of the other threads here and have seen some posts here and there about trouble with Dolby Digital and the HR20. I had my HR20 installed last weekend and during the install the tech mentioned that although the box is attached to my surround receiver (Yamaha HTR-5640), the surround does not work. He warned if I enable it that it will cause more problems than I can imagine. I call BS, but wanted to double check. I tried enabling it last night, but it didn't work. It didn't cause any problems, the receiver just never picked up a DD signal. I am on 0xDC.

Any truth to what the tech said and if not, is there anything I need to do to get the receiver to pickup the signal? The receiver works fine with my Xbox 360 and DVD.
Did you ever get it straightened out? I had to put my Yamaha (HTR-5960) into "Straight" (e.g., unprocessed digital signal) mode to get it to recognize DD from the HR20. Once I got it to recognize the DD signal, I can now set whatever enhanced DSP mode I want without losing DD.

·
Mentor
36 Posts
I am noticing a strange problem with my HR20 and DD. My receiver was not picking up the DD, so I went to the audio settings and checked to make sure DD was set to on. It was. I checked my receiver (Sony 444ES) and it was set up correctly. Optical cable was fine. Nothing seemed to work. So I was going to try turning off DD and turning it back on, and when I turned it off, it came on! So now, DD is set to off, but it is coming through the receiver.

Mike

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
mikepatt said:
I am noticing a strange problem with my HR20 and DD. My receiver was not picking up the DD, so I went to the audio settings and checked to make sure DD was set to on. It was. I checked my receiver (Sony 444ES) and it was set up correctly. Optical cable was fine. Nothing seemed to work. So I was going to try turning off DD and turning it back on, and when I turned it off, it came on! So now, DD is set to off, but it is coming through the receiver.

Mike
Wow - just tried the same thing with my Sony STR-DE855. Exactly the same result. With DD set to on on the HR-20 I was only getting PCM. Turned it off and voila. Good discovery Mike! Could be that the Sony multi-channel receivers want to do all the encoding within their receivers and not have interruptions in interpretations of what the signal should be.
Nice!

·
Mentor
36 Posts
Davenlr said:
Bug in the current software.. DD OFF is really ON, ON is really OFF.
Yeah, I think its a bug too. After I turned it off, and it came on, I then turned it on and it stayed on. But when I turned it off again, I lost sound completely until I changed the channel. Then I turned it on again, and it stayed off. Finally I turned it off again and bingo, it was back on. Very buggy

Mike

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
mikepatt said:
Yeah, I think its a bug too. After I turned it off, and it came on, I then turned it on and it stayed on. But when I turned it off again, I lost sound completely until I changed the channel. Then I turned it on again, and it stayed off. Finally I turned it off again and bingo, it was back on. Very buggy

Mike
Hmm. I just tried turning it back on, and sure enough it was PCM again. I turned it back off and DD returned right away. Changed channels and DD was there wherever that audio was present. Def different for many different users.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
So can we safely say that if you want DD, then disable it in the HR20?

Since I don't have the new dish yet, I can only find SD channels - such as certain HBO programs - that have 5.1. I turned on Walk the Line the other night, sure that it had 5.1 but it wasn't coming through. I'll have to recheck it .

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Slip Jigs said:
So can we safely say that if you want DD, then disable it in the HR20?

Since I don't have the new dish yet, I can only find SD channels - such as certain HBO programs - that have 5.1. I turned on Walk the Line the other night, sure that it had 5.1 but it wasn't coming through. I'll have to recheck it .
Why not try it? Report back with what you find.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
But it doesn't end there: Here's what I found.

1. With DD set to OFF, there are two options in the Quick menu under Audio: English1, and English 2 DD.

2. Those options only appear if the program itself has DD.

3. If the program doesn't have it, only English will appear. (Whether DD is set to on or off)

4. English 2 DD must be selected to hear DD.

5. When you change the channel, and come back it defaults back to English 1 and you have to select English 2 DD to hear DD

6. With DD set to ON, Quick menu now displays English 1 DD and English 2. Changing channels defaults to English 1 DD, but DD doesn't happen. Selecting English 2 at this point does nothing.

Conclusion: The Quick menu options seem to display correctly according to the DD setting and the program audio, but the DD switch itself is reversed.

Workaround: Keep DD set to OFF, but must always check quick menu for English 2 DD - select it if present.

·
7 Posts
I just got my HR20 w/ 5lnb finally connected today. My Yamaha RX530 has been showing PCM audio only. Tried tweaking all the setting. No luck to get DD. Afer reading your experiences, I turned DD off on the HR20. Boom! The Yamaha is showing 5.1 DD. It's crazy, but it is working. Thanks for tip!

·
Legend
216 Posts
So it sounds like the tech knew what he was talking about afterall! Has this little bug been made known outside of this thread? I know I just stumbled upon it.

Never underestimate the ability of this receiver to throw a curveball at you. How a bug like this got through.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.