DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AllStar
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...please direct me to the right thread if this has been discussed elsewhere...

I'm a current DirecTV subscriber considering the move to hdtv and the hr20. I currently have a TiVO/R10, and have a second set in my bedroom hooked in using the coax "out to tv" port. What connectivity options would I have with an HR20 to service hdtv sets located in other rooms (such as my bedroom) ? Thanks in advance, and thanks the forums!

·
Icon
730 Posts
The HR20 outputs, at the same time, HDMI, component video, Svideo, and composite video. You cannot hook up a TV to the HR20 with coax as there is not coax out on the HR20. So, if you have long enough cables, and don't mind having all the TV's on the same channel, you can use the HR20 on more than one TV.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Long wires... (either HDMI or component)

Or some expensive HD distribution systems.

·
AllStar
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies!

Is there a single hdmi output port on the hr20? (If so, I'd probably be content to use component output for the hdtv set in living room since I don't watch TV much there...)

It looks like you can get hdmi cabling in pre-worked lengths up to 50 feet, so that would be plenty...

Bad Rex said:
Why not put a second box in the bedroom for only $5 a month?
By second box, do you mean a second HR20?

One more question...does the HR20 have an "output to VCR" feature like the R10 does? (I have a dvd burner hooked up this way, and was hoping to continue to be able to burn dvd's -- albeit digital-analog-digital -- if I upgrade)

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Yes, he was referring to get a second HR20.

There is only one HDMI output.

It doesn't have a "Save to VCR" mode, like the DTivos... but you still connect a DVD Burner to the unit and use it the same way.

·
AllStar
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Earl Bonovich said:

It doesn't have a "Save to VCR" mode, like the DTivos... but you still connect a DVD Burner to the unit and use it the same way.
Thanks! You folks are awesome.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
179 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

This is the first time I've seen someone worried about HDTV and their VCR in the same thread :)

·
Legend
206 Posts
PeeWee10 said:
Hi...please direct me to the right thread if this has been discussed elsewhere...

I'm a current DirecTV subscriber considering the move to hdtv and the hr20. I currently have a TiVO/R10, and have a second set in my bedroom hooked in using the coax "out to tv" port. What connectivity options would I have with an HR20 to service hdtv sets located in other rooms (such as my bedroom) ? Thanks in advance, and thanks the forums!
Cat-5e with baluns.

Check out this web site.

www.intelix.com
www.intelix.com :cool:

·
DBSTalk Club Member
268 Posts
ctwilliams said:
I am using the HDMI port to serve four HD TVs using this gefen splitter:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3355

and it works without any problem...
for $500 it better :)

I'm looking myself at running cat5e lines back and forth from a bedroom so that I can watch either unit from either TV using the baluns.

Hopefully someday I'll be able to stream between them from an integrated guide. And maybe someday I'll be able to schedule a recording on one unit from another.

sigh. love the replaytv.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.