DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if Somebody already answered this but i cant find it.

I am thinking of Buying one HR20 but my concern is i want to put it on my basement. There is no phone line there.

Do i need to have the Phone line hook up?? This is the reason why i did nto buy the HR10 because of the phone line requirement.

thanks

·
Icon
1,565 Posts
Get-Me said:
Sorry if Somebody already answered this but i cant find it.

I am thinking of Buying one HR20 but my concern is i want to put it on my basement. There is no phone line there.

Do i need to have the Phone line hook up?? This is the reason why i did nto buy the HR10 because of the phone line requirement.

thanks
As has been pointed out you don't really "need" to have a phone line. But if you want to have PPV ordering ability and be able to have your HR20 display caller-ID info on your TV (assuming you subscribe to caller-ID thru your phone company) then you do have some options. I am successfully using a gadget that uses your electrical wiring to route your phone line signal. Basically you plug one small box into an electrical outlet. Plug the phone line from the wall into that box and also your telephone. Then you plug the other small box into an outlet next to your Sat receiver. Plug a phone cord into that box and then run it to your Sat receiver and "viola" you have a phone connection. Just make sure that you buy one that specifically states that you can use it for a modem and that it will pass the caller-ID signal. My Sat receiver was on the other side of my bedroom from my phone outlet and I just didn't want to have a phone wire running around the room.

Bought the one I am using at Best Buy. Radio Shack sells a cheaper one that will not work. It is designed to just provide a phone line and will not work with a modem and will not pass the caller-ID signal. Be very careful and make sure it explicitly states on the box that it will work with a modem and will pass the caller-ID signal.

Hope that helps.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
litzdog911 said:
If you want to try the Wireless Modem Jack option, this is a good one ....

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=RCPX441
That is the one that I have that doesn't seem to be working with the HR20. It worked fine with my Tivo... I'm not certain though if it's the phone jack or a software problem but my other HR20 that is hard wired seems to work just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.