DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a slingbox for the HR20, and connecting it via Wi-Fi to my home network with a Linksys wireless access point. Four questions:

1) Does the slingbox software for Windows have good support for the remote? The only demos I've seen have it controlling a TiVo.

2) Is anyone running the PocketPC / Windows Mobile app for it? Any comments?

3) Any problems with the wireless access point?

...and the big one...

4) So, I'm thinking I'll run composite video and stereo audio to the slingbox. My TV is, of course, 16:9. How does the slingbox handle 16:9 content over composite video? Does it distort it to fit a 4:3 window, or does it handle it properly, or what?

Thanks, folks.

· Icon
968 Posts
lamontcranston said:
I'm considering buying a slingbox for the HR20, and connecting it via Wi-Fi to my home network with a Linksys wireless access point. Four questions:

1) Does the slingbox software for Windows have good support for the remote? The only demos I've seen have it controlling a TiVo.

...and the big one...

4) So, I'm thinking I'll run composite video and stereo audio to the slingbox. My TV is, of course, 16:9. How does the slingbox handle 16:9 content over composite video? Does it distort it to fit a 4:3 window, or does it handle it properly, or what?

Thanks, folks.
1) Most definitely yes. only downside is you can't use RF on the HR20 since enabling RF disables IR.

2) I use a blackberry, so not sure about this.

3) what wireless access point? slingboxes only have an ethernet port, if you want wifi you have to buy a wireless bridge and configure it for your slingbox to use.

4) i thought it handled it so-so. you can tell the slingbox to do widescreen, although i couldn't figure out what exactly it was doing to make it widescreen.. probably just doing a 16:9 stretch.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Check out this thread for more info.

(1) I have the classic version, but you would likely get one of the newer models. The Slingbox has an R15 remote that works GREAT for the HR20. In fact, I found the HR20 remote functionality about twice as good as my SAT-T60 remote (old box).

(4) I think that it maintains the 16:9 format. I don't remember for sure, but I know I don't remember it looking wrong.

873 Posts
lamontcranston said:

...and the big one...

Thanks, folks.
There are now 3 flavors of the sling box. One of which supports HDTV receivers via HDMI. You might want to head over to their site and see which one works for you.

· DBSTalk Club Member
88 Posts
carlsbad_bolt_fan said:
There are now 3 flavors of the sling box. One of which supports HDTV receivers via HDMI. You might want to head over to their site and see which one works for you.
It does not support HDMI, only component. The connection looks like an HDMI connection, but you have to buy an HD dongle that connects there that accepts component and RCA for audio. Trust me, I've tried connection via HDMI and it doesn't work.

There are too many digital rights issues if you stream a digital (HDMI) signal. By converting it to analog (component) they get around those issues.

Lamont, PM me and you can connect to my HR20 to see the remote if you'd like.

Just download the Slingplayer software, and I'll give you the info in a PM.

I use the mobile version on my Cingular 2125. It works OK, EDGE doesn't really have enough speed. I have a friend that has the PPC-6700 from Sprint and said it's great on EVDO. I'm upgrading to the Cingular 8525 w/ 3G on Friday, which should make viewing as good as his EVDO.

www.slingcommunity.com is a great resource.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. As far as the wireless access point, I'm thinking of using a Linksys, I think it's a WAP54G.

I've read that the HDMI slingbox still streams at fairly low resolution. Basically I'm looking for something that will let my wife watch "House Hunters" while I'm driving. We're going to upgrade our phones in the spring and I'm trying to put together a solution for all of this.

· AllStar
55 Posts
I have the old slingbox and it work great and the software does have the remote code for the HR20. I also have it on my T-Mobile MDA Pocket PC Phone with WiFi. It works great on that as well. You may want to look at a new product Pinnacle came out with that does the same thing. They sent me an email today. It has built in HD and wireless so you don't need an access point. See below some info I recieved.

Introducing PCTV To Go
Now with HD Support!
The ultimate wireless TV viewing solution that let’s you watch and control your TV from anywhere. Watch TV on a PC or Notebook within 300 feet of your entertainment center via your wireless network or watch it anywhere in the world via the internet. Simply connect PCTV To Go to your TV or set top box at home, with no messy wires to your Access Point/Router. And now, with the recent release of version 1.1., PCTV To Go includes full HD compatibility.

See special offer >> More info >>

SEE HOW WE STACK UP AGAINST THE COMPETITION

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Pinnacle product looks cool but doesn't look like it streams to a Windows Mobile Device. That's a bit of a killer for me right now.

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I love sling, and have three slingboxes. However they do NOT sling in hi-def. The new Sliingbox Pro, which does have HD input capability, does an internal down-rez to SD for slinging.

Normal WAN slinging is at 640x240. Normal LAN slinging is 640x480 with the newer slingboxes.

Carl

· Mentor
40 Posts
I travel for extended periods of time and want to use the Slingbox to schedule recordings and delete stuff from my HR20. I dont really have an interest in streaming the video. How good is the Slingbox at remote controlling the HR20?

· DBSTalk Club Member
88 Posts
Katodude00 said:
I travel for extended periods of time and want to use the Slingbox to schedule recordings and delete stuff from my HR20. I dont really have an interest in streaming the video. How good is the Slingbox at remote controlling the HR20?
Works like a champ. You could even force an update with it, provided there was an updated available.

· Registered
4,690 Posts
Can someone post some pics of how the controls work with the HR20? I'm out of town and could have used this big time this week.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
tfederov said:
Can someone post some pics of how the controls work with the HR20? I'm out of town and could have used this big time this week.
Not sure if this helps or not, but here is what it looks like on my screen.

Attachments

· Registered
4,690 Posts
Thanks!

So you mouse over the buttons on the remote to control what you're watching? Very cool deal. With that said, I guess if I want to watch the HD channels, I need to get the pro. Otherwise, I could get a regular slingbox and do just fine?

And I can do all of this from my little ol' laptop?

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
tfederov said:
Thanks!

So you mouse over the buttons on the remote to control what you're watching? Very cool deal. With that said, I guess if I want to watch the HD channels, I need to get the pro. Otherwise, I could get a regular slingbox and do just fine?

And I can do all of this from my little ol' laptop?
You can watch all of the channels recorded or live. I use the composite output (NOT component) from one of my HR20s connected to the Slingbox while the Component output is connected to my Television. Both outputs are active at the same time. Of course the slingbox is not in HD, but it still looks good.

· Registered
4,690 Posts
Okay, just one more question... (I'm really stoked about this... I don't need the pro from the looks of it)... I'm also working with the assumption that if I'm watching from my PC, my family at home would be watching what I am. In other words, I can't be watching one thing from it and them another because we're (in cable tv terms) splitting the signal to two different televisions?

I am so getting one when I get back to Dallas on Thursday.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
tfederov said:
Okay, just one more question... (I'm really stoked about this... I don't need the pro from the looks of it)... I'm also working with the assumption that if I'm watching from my PC, my family at home would be watching what I am. In other words, I can't be watching one thing from it and them another because we're (in cable tv terms) splitting the signal to two different televisions?

I am so getting one when I get back to Dallas on Thursday.
Yes, the Slingbox is showing exactly what is on your TV.

In my case, I have two HR20s and one Slingbox connected to one of the HR20s. My family could watch something from the "other" HR20 while I watch something from the Slingbox'd HR20. But generally speaking, your comments are correct.

· Icon
563 Posts
dogger01 said:
I have the old slingbox and it work great and the software does have the remote code for the HR20. I also have it on my T-Mobile MDA Pocket PC Phone with WiFi. It works great on that as well. You may want to look at a new product Pinnacle came out with that does the same thing. They sent me an email today. It has built in HD and wireless so you don't need an access point. See below some info I recieved.

Introducing PCTV To Go
Now with HD Support!
The ultimate wireless TV viewing solution that let's you watch and control your TV from anywhere. Watch TV on a PC or Notebook within 300 feet of your entertainment center via your wireless network or watch it anywhere in the world via the internet. Simply connect PCTV To Go to your TV or set top box at home, with no messy wires to your Access Point/Router. And now, with the recent release of version 1.1., PCTV To Go includes full HD compatibility.

See special offer >> More info >>

SEE HOW WE STACK UP AGAINST THE COMPETITION
The pinnacle system has a terrible UI and ugly remotes. There was a review today on pc magazine web site http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2071043,00.asp

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.