DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
AllStar
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is the day. My Sony 40" LCD is being installed and my DirecTV HR20-700 is also arriving via FedEx.

I am new to all of this and have some questions regarding how people set up their systems to view content.

I know the TV can be switched to a Wide Mode to cover the entire screen for SD broadcasts. I also know the DVR can control the resolution and stretch mode.

So my question is this: how does everybody out there set their's up? Do you let the Reciever broadcast in Native resolution and simply let the TV upconvert everything? What happens is you are using Wide Zoom mode on the TV and you have an HD broadcast - does it stretch it funny.

I guess I am just wondering about some best practices and advice on how to make the 2 devices co-exist.

Thanks!
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
968 Posts
honestly, the best solution is what works best for you. every set does stretching/upconverting differently (better or worse), so you try it each way and use what works best for your equipment. there is no "works for all" answer.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
I just lock mine at 720p and STRETCH mode.

Over three years of that with my Plasma and the DTivo boxes, I just got used to the stretched look.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I just lock mine at 720p and STRETCH mode.

Over three years of that with my Plasma and the DTivo boxes, I just got used to the stretched look.
I agree. When I first got my widescreen, I thought I was going to go crazy looking at all the short fat people on all the TV shows, but you adjust and I hardly notice that they're stretched anymore. It looks just as normal as it would if I watched it in the bedroom on a 4:3 TV.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,019 Posts
I use native and I don't use the tv's zoom for anything. I also never zoom or stretch an SD image unless it is letterboxed so that you have black bars on the top and the bottom. Zoom gets rid of that. But if it's a full screen SD, then if you zoom, you chop the heads and bottoms off and if you do stretch, everything is distorted and people look fat.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,019 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I just lock mine at 720p and STRETCH mode.

Over three years of that with my Plasma and the DTivo boxes, I just got used to the stretched look.
Sharkie_Fan said:
I agree. When I first got my widescreen, I thought I was going to go crazy looking at all the short fat people on all the TV shows, but you adjust and I hardly notice that they're stretched anymore. It looks just as normal as it would if I watched it in the bedroom on a 4:3 TV.
Wow. That's shocking. But what about when you go to widescreen HD, where everything is back to how it should be? Then everyone will look really skinny to you guys. I couldn't imagine getting used to a stretched image.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
mtnagel said:
Wow. That's shocking. But what about when you go to widescreen HD, where everything is back to how it should be? Then everyone will look really skinny to you guys. I couldn't imagine getting used to a stretched image.
Kinda show specific...
Last year, I primarily watched My Name is Earl in SD-stretched.
This year, we started to watch it in HD, and didn't notice much of a difference.

NBC's Joey... we watched SD, and got used to the characters... when we watched one in HD... that was a big difference, so we switched back to SD.

Kinda how you get used to an actor in a role on a show... you kinda get used to the characters in that show looking that way.

At least that is how it is for us.

When I first got the plasma, there was no HD-DVR; so I rarely watched HD content except for sports or special events.
So we got used to it fairly early on.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK - so the advice seems to be: play with all settings until I find something that I can live with. Thanks! Seems like I'll be playing around a lot tonight!

Earl - you keep yours locked on 760. I am getting a 1080p TV. Would it not be better to have the receiver set to 1080 for better picture quality - or does that just exagerate flaws i nthe signal quality.

Appreciate everyone's support here. Hopefully tomorrow I won't be *****ing about all the bugs in the new DVR. I plan on keeping my R-15 hooked up as well to ensure I don't miss any of my favorite shows.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
105 Posts
I've got Native off, 1080i stretch on the HR20 and my TV is set on 1080i 'smooth wide' which does a good job of keeping people thin in the middle, but you get some odd looking stuff at the edges. That is the one thing I think my Hitachi got right. I can't stand any of the other modes, Full, Fill aka stretch, and Pillar Box.

Z
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
488 Posts
I keep mine at 1080 stretch. The TV is 1080p and the picture is great; except for problems with the local feed. I tried native the other night and while I liked the featre and had no problems with the delay when switching resolutions, I could not get used to the lowered UI. Anything less than 1080 was tough on the old eyes. Try it and you will see what I mean.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
RussFor said:
OK - so the advice seems to be: play with all settings until I find something that I can live with. Thanks! Seems like I'll be playing around a lot tonight!

Earl - you keep yours locked on 760. I am getting a 1080p TV. Would it not be better to have the receiver set to 1080 for better picture quality - or does that just exagerate flaws i nthe signal quality.

Appreciate everyone's support here. Hopefully tomorrow I won't be *****ing about all the bugs in the new DVR. I plan on keeping my R-15 hooked up as well to ensure I don't miss any of my favorite shows.
720p...

My Plasma's maximum native resolution is 760ish
So from what I have learned about the unit is that, if it gets a 1080i
It will "split the resolution" to 540 and then upconvert to 720p

With a 720p signal, it doesn't do anything to the incomming signal.
So I just leave it at that. (I have never noticed any real difference between the two).

If you have a true 1080p system, then you will want to try out the different settings to see which one you prefer... It is very independent of the Make and Model of the TV, to see if the HR20 does a better job of upscaling, or if the TV does
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jgrade said:
I keep mine at 1080 stretch. The TV is 1080p and the picture is great; except for problems with the local feed. I tried native the other night and while I liked the featre and had no problems with the delay when switching resolutions, I could not get used to the lowered UI. Anything less than 1080 was tough on the old eyes. Try it and you will see what I mean.
So you keep your receiver on 1080 stretch - what about the actually TV? Wide or stretch as well?

Also - (and I apologize for my ignorance) what is UI?
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
720p...

My Plasma's maximum native resolution is 760ish
So from what I have learned about the unit is that, if it gets a 1080i
It will "split the resolution" to 540 and then upconvert to 720p

With a 720p signal, it doesn't do anything to the incomming signal.
So I just leave it at that. (I have never noticed any real difference between the two).

If you have a true 1080p system, then you will want to try out the different settings to see which one you prefer... It is very independent of the Make and Model of the TV, to see if the HR20 does a better job of upscaling, or if the TV does
So if I choose to let the HR20 do the upscaling what setting do I put my TV on? Native? Just trying to figure all of this out.

Thanks
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top