DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called D* yesterday to see what kind of deal they are offering on the HR20--they say they have a "waiting list" and have had since the 3rd week of October. Also, they wouldn't offer me any kind of a deal on the unit and wouldn't provide any estimate of when they would have units--very strange. According to them (and also based on the other deals/discounts/rebates/credits I've been offered over the years) I'm one of their "A-list" customers, but apparently not this time around. I'm guessing that their inventory of HR20's must be being utilized to replace existing customer's units--from a quick read of the posts, looks like lots of people are on 3rd and 4th units. Anyone have an estimate of when their going to resume adding new customers for the HR20?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
From a quick read of the posts here you are reading messages from a very small percentage of people that actually have an HR20.

It's been said many, many, many times here that they are in short demand due to being sold out because they can't keep up with the number of people that want one right now, not because they are replacing all the broken ones.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
glennb said:
From a quick read of the posts here you are reading messages from a very small percentage of people that actually have an HR20.

It's been said many, many, many times here that they are in short demand due to being sold out because they can't keep up with the number of people that want one right now, not because they are replacing all the broken ones.
Granted this might be a bit cynical, but have you considered that just perhaps, it is a marketing message that they "sold out". That just maybe there are a lot of problems and rather than create a mountain of problems by shipping at full steam, they have slowed down their distribution while try to deal with the serious problems, while there is just a mole hill of boxes on the market? That the idea of continuing to ship lots and lots of boxes when there are major problems, and if they did that, it could impact them negatively in the press, which could impact their stock price and market share? So perhaps and just perhaps, this "shortage" is actually a strategy to control damage, as we move into the holiday season, which is when many consumer electronics are purchased and HDTV is the big thing this year. Perhaps all these years in the Valley have made me just a tad cynical on who's interest is being protected and what the truth really is.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
I just received an automated message 2 days ago that I will be contacted to schedule withing 2-3 weeks regarding the HR20 install. I was placed on the priority waiting list 2 weeks prior. So this is the last I have heard on when they will be available. Then I'm sure I will have to wait weeks for them to have an available date to install.:(
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
192 Posts
hamltnh said:
Not in No. VA--Best Buy doesn't either--
But circuitcity.com does and you can have it shipped next day.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
btmoore said:
Granted this might be a bit cynical, but have you considered that just perhaps, it is a marketing message that they "sold out". That just maybe there are a lot of problems and rather than create a mountain of problems by shipping at full steam, they have slowed down their distribution while try to deal with the serious problems, while there is just a mole hill of boxes on the market? That the idea of continuing to ship lots and lots of boxes when there are major problems, and if they did that, it could impact them negatively in the press, which could impact their stock price and market share? So perhaps and just perhaps, this "shortage" is actually a strategy to control damage, as we move into the holiday season, which is when many consumer electronics are purchased and HDTV is the big thing this year. Perhaps all these years in the Valley have made me just a tad cynical on who's interest is being protected and what the truth really is.
Whatever you say.
Sounds like you've got it all figured out.
:rolleyes:

Have you considered that just perhaps the supply can't keep up with the demand right now like when the HR10-250 DIRECTV/HDTV/TiVo first came out.
 

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
glennb said:
Have you considered that just perhaps the supply can't keep up with the demand right now like when the HR10-250 DIRECTV/HDTV/TiVo first came out.
Five years ago when I got my two SD DSR6000 DirecTivos, the forums were all full of the same threads: sold out here, in-stock there, why aren't the dealers stocking up for the holidays? What is D*/Phillips/whomever thinking by not having more of them for the buying season? Etc., etc., etc.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top