DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my AT9 dish and HR20 installed yesterday, but the installer could not get the second tuner working.

Basically, connecting to the SAT1[FTM] input works fine. The problem appears to be with the SAT2 input.

If just SAT1 is connected, I get good signal strength across all satellites and transponders for Tuner1. Interestingly I also get some limited strength & transponders for Tuner2 (and nothing is connected to SAT2 input), not sure how that is happening (maybe some sort of indication of a short in the box?). Also, running the system test in this configuration shows Tuner1 acquired at 95% (or something), but it also shows Tuner2 acquired at 0% and they both pass the test.

If SAT1 and SAT2 are both connected, I get the same as if SAT2 is not connected. I have tried switching the cable from SAT1 to SAT2 and vice-versa to make sure it is not a cabling issue and there is no effect on the results, Tuner1 still is solid and Tuner2 is flaky. I have a multi-switch (WB68), but that has been removed for my testing.

If just SAT2 is connected I get the 771 searching for sat 1 message (I never get one of those for 2). Also, if just SAT2 is connected (or if neither are connected), running the system test gives me a OK, acquired at 0% for both tuners, but they both still pass (I'm thinking the tuner test is eye candy).

I also have a Hughes SD40, and it is working fine with the new dish on both of its tuners.

To me, this stinks of a failed tuner 2; but before I go through the hassle of replacing it either by sending it back to Best Buy or exploring the wonders of leasing, I wanted to see if there was anything else I should try.

My initial reaction is that it is a HR20 hardware failure in the tuner. But I was also reading about LNB problems, so now I'm thinking it could also have something to do with a defective and/or damaged LNB. Finally, not sure if the AT9 has a multiswitch built in like the old 3LNB dishes, but if it does perhaps that is defective and is causing some sort of problem.

·
Godfather
439 Posts
I had the same exact problem you appear to be having and went through the process of getting a new (refurb) box, which arrived and the hard drive was DOA. When I couldn't get the box with the bad tuner to boot up, I removed the B Band converters and all of a sudden both tuners were working on the box. I would suggest removing the converters and re-booting to see what happens.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
If you removed the BBCs prior to testing, switching cables from input one to two pretty much ruled out anything but the receiver. D* will want to send someone out to check everything anyway.

I don't think the installers are supposed to leave until everything is working properly, or they figure out the problem.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tiger2005 said:
I had the same exact problem you appear to be having and went through the process of getting a new (refurb) box, which arrived and the hard drive was DOA. When I couldn't get the box with the bad tuner to boot up, I removed the B Band converters and all of a sudden both tuners were working on the box. I would suggest removing the converters and re-booting to see what happens.
I tried pulling the converters and the results are exactly the same. I also tried converters and each input one at a time, and still the same. Ugh... Directv why do you curse me so!

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
paulman182 said:
I don't think the installers are supposed to leave until everything is working properly, or they figure out the problem.
You would think so... but I think he was pretty frustrated and had another job to get to. It was looking like a bad receiver (which I got from Best Buy, not from the installer) so I think he saw that as a way out. Looks like I'll be sending it back and getting another one. :(

Luckily, I just checked the paperwork I signed and he wrote "Bad receiver need replacement" on there, so hopefully I can bypass waiting for another appointment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.