Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Legend
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my top concern about this box. If it keeps up I am sending it back to
D* for a refund. :icon_stup

I have been patient with my box - that has been "relatively" trouble free since October but NOW I am nearly done with it.

Ever since the 0x10b update my downstairs box - OTA enabled but no antenna connected right now, connected via Component and set to Native 1080i for my Panasonic (see below) now works as follows:

Two-Three days no issues
Fourth Day turns on, guide works, no picture. Changes channels and operates normally it seems but no picture at all on any station.
Turning if off then on Via remote has no effect.
Red button reset no effect - kills unit so it is entirely non-responsive
RBR 2nd time again no effect - unit is dead
Unplug unit for 10 minutes - sometimes brings unit back

Result - lost guide, lost recording opportunities.

D* - its time to roll out a new update or rid us of this infernal machine.
Why can't you all design a product that works and does what it should - this one won't even turn on anymore without major hastles. Then we have the damn 24 hour guide repopulate issue. This isn't even an HDMI issue so there is NO excuse at all for this black screen of death and dead box.

If this is not fixed in the next 30 days I am looking for a new provider and D* can refund my lease fees on both of my HR20s.

Who else has the same problem - BSOD from turn on - I think we need a specific poll for this issue.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
S. DiThomas,

Ouch! (Somehow that doesn't seem to feel strong enough.) :(

Forgive me if I ask what to you might be obvious--even tho the issues started with 0x10b's release, have you tried the usual: checking cables, swapping cables, removing/swapping BBCs, standing on your left foot when RBR'ing (just a bit of poor humor to lighten the day), inspecting the multiswitch connections, etc.?

Beyond that, I can only wish you good luck and a Happy New Year.
Tom

· Legend
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tibber said:
S. DiThomas,

Ouch! (Somehow that doesn't seem to feel strong enough.) :(

Forgive me if I ask what to you might be obvious--even tho the issues started with 0x10b's release, have you tried the usual: checking cables, swapping cables, removing/swapping BBCs, standing on your left foot when RBR'ing (just a bit of poor humor to lighten the day), inspecting the multiswitch connections, etc.?

Beyond that, I can only wish you good luck and a Happy New Year.
Tom
tipper:

Thanks.

Yep it is a strong expression of my frustration with D* and their "flagship" HD receiver.

Good suggestions too - I actually did not check those things at first since I have no kids and my setup - except for the dish is secured in the house in a protected cabinet.

I will try the cables - I am not using the BBCs at all. I checked my other HR20 connected to the JVC upstairs via HDMI and have no issues at all. Works without a hitch. The problems are just affecting my original box on the Panny with the Component connection.

Sounds like it may be hardware issue - anyone else with the same problem on a similar configuation have any thoughts?

· Icon
828 Posts
S.

A suggestion which may determine if the problem is the box or an ancillary piece of equipment, such as a bad cable.

If your upstairs hr20 works well, why not try swapping the two boxes, leaving all of the cables in the original locations? This would, without a doubt determine if the "bad" box is actually bad or if the problem lies elsewhere. If you have any slack in the cables in both locations, swapping them out should be a quick and easy job. If the "bad" box stays bad upstairs, a replacement from D* might just cure all of your problems. If the upstairs box goes bad downstairs, you know it's not the box.

Good luck,
Rick

· Legend
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rick:

Good Idea - If I I ever get the courage to unbundle the myriad of cables from the down box I will try it.

I am hoping for a new software update before having to go through that mess. Counting the component, phone, three coax, power, Toslink, S-video to receiver and audio I think I have 12 cables to unhook and re hook.

That's a lot of time to invest.

· ke6cdn
424 Posts
Also your Ox10b download may not have gone right. The first thing I would try is forcing a redownload of Ox10b and then immediatly do a RBR when you go to live TV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.