DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Legend
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone has brought this up before, and if they have, I apologize.

My HR20 is buzzing like crazy. The outer case is vibrating and it drives me crazy, especially when the TV is off and no sound is covering it up. It doesn't buzz 24/7, but when it does it's annoying. The buzzing stops if I put my hand on top of the unit and press down gently. Any suggestions as to how to get this to stop? I don't want to put anything on top because of heat venting. I also don't want to get a replacement. Knock on wood, but mine has been very trouble free and works just fine. Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Replace it...
Something is right with the hardware.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Knepster said:
I don't know if anyone has brought this up before, and if they have, I apologize.

My HR20 is buzzing like crazy. The outer case is vibrating and it drives me crazy, especially when the TV is off and no sound is covering it up. It doesn't buzz 24/7, but when it does it's annoying. The buzzing stops if I put my hand on top of the unit and press down gently. Any suggestions as to how to get this to stop? I don't want to put anything on top because of heat venting. I also don't want to get a replacement. Knock on wood, but mine has been very trouble free and works just fine. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Some audio noise can occur if you put the video connection on the audio connection by accident or vice versa.

·
Legend
183 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
Some audio noise can occur if you put the video connection on the audio connection by accident or vice versa.
I believe Kneptser meant the noise is physically coming from the HR-20 chassis itself. I agree with Earl, something isn't right with the hardware.

·
Banned
231 Posts
Rob55 said:
Looks like the FCC got to my avatar.:D By the way, didn't you throw your HR-20 in the trash?
LMAO - YOUR A GOOD SPORT! :) Yep - but then I pulled it back out because I could not do without it - One guy had a brilliant suggestion which I adopted. Leave it in the trash, but run power and HDMI cables in there! Best of both worlds! :)

·
Legend
183 Posts
WANDERER said:
LMAO - YOUR A GOOD SPORT! :) Yep - but then I pulled it back out because I could not do without it - One guy had a brilliant suggestion which I adopted. Leave it in the trash, but run power and HDMI cables in there! Best of both worlds! :)
Always nice to run into a fan.:lol: Peter rules!

·
AllStar
61 Posts
My HR20 does the same thing. Worse, the shelf it sits on is acting like a sounding board. I have a definitely audible hum. Kinda sounds like a forced air furnace (not quite that loud) or some motor running in another room.

I have a tech coming to look at it Wednesday.

·
AllStar
98 Posts
Mallard said:
My HR20 does the same thing. Worse, the shelf it sits on is acting like a sounding board. I have a definitely audible hum. Kinda sounds like a forced air furnace (not quite that loud) or some motor running in another room.

I have a tech coming to look at it Wednesday.
I've got the same problem on both my HR20s.

·
Legend
183 Posts
If the HR-20 isn't vibrating like mad and seems to be ok otherwise, try putting dense rubber or foam pads under the feet. It should eliminate the resonating that occurs as a result of the shelf.

·
AllStar
61 Posts
Rob55 said:
If the HR-20 isn't vibrating like mad and seems to be ok otherwise, try putting dense rubber or foam pads under the feet. It should eliminate the resonating that occurs as a result of the shelf.
My HR20 seems to be OK, but is vibrating like mad. I've tried felt pads, but those helped very little. I'm going to try a piece of carpet pad if the tech can't do anything.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,020 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing and after the process of elimanitation I found out that it was the access card that was viberating if I opened the door and placed my finger on the access card the buzzing sound stopped.

I placed a rubber foot that I had laying around from an old computer router right under the corner where the access card is and so far the vibration has not came back and I hope that it does not.

It may not be the source of your buzzing but an easy check to see if it is by placing your finger onto the access card.

·
AllStar
64 Posts
I fixed my cabinet vibration with a 2" piece of invisible scotch tape applied lengthwise along the top joint of the front bezel and the top panel.

billb....

·
Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
Question that should be asked is what spinning part is that badly balanced to cause parts to vibrate.

Fan or Hard drive would be the only things I can think of.

Design problem? Poor QC, Poor quality parts. I've seen cheap computer fans vibrate and I've seen cheap hard drives cause a bit of a vibration, If it truly is something out of balance that part wil have a shorter life due to bearing wear.

Only other thing that could be a source would be a very noisy hard drive when seeking but I don't think I'd describe that as a buzzing.

And I'm pretty sure they would use a hard drive that has acoustic management ability.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.