DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Legend
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that since having the HR20, most scheduled recording seem to be a minute or so into the show when the recording starts, but it wasn't until today that I confirmed the clock is indeed off.

I have a PC that is NTP synchronized directly to a GPS clock. As a second data point I also have a Verizon cell phone that derives its time from the network. The PC and the Phone are within 1 second of each other (without me adjusting anything manually).

When I compare the clock on the PC and Phone to that of the HR20, the HR20 is about 31 seconds behind. This confirms my suspicion that the HR20 is starting recordings 30 seconds late.

The strange thing is that my two DirecTiVo units (SAT-T60 and SD-DVR40) are both within 1-2 seconds of the GPS time, so D* must be sending the correct time to those units.

Why would the HR20 have a clock that is off by so far from the other D* receivers? Should I just call D* to complain to see if they fix it or do they know about this already? Is there a workaround? I don't see any way to manually set the clock.

·
Legend
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jonaswan2 said:
I would call DirecTV since there is no way for you to fix it yourself, but before that...

Unplug for 15 min then come back
(You've probably already red button reset)
I've done red button resets and have unplugged the power cable and reconnected. I haven't left it unplugged for 15 minutes, but I can't see how that would be any different than just unplugging the power cable for 30 seconds.

I guess I'll contact D* and see what they say.

·
AllStar
69 Posts
I have also noticed that on most recordings, my HR20 starts late, wheras my HDTivo records the exact same program on time.

Hopefully this will get fixed in an update...

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Have sometimes wonderred about this... seemed at one time my recordings were getting later and later.. just didn't think to check it's clock..

·
Mentor
48 Posts
I have this problem too! My DirecTivo starts exactly on time. I've had this HR20 a week and sometimes I have to 30 second skip 2 or 3 times to get it to start. Usually the end scenes for the next episode get cut off too.

·
Legend
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SubSolar said:
I have this problem too! My DirecTivo starts exactly on time. I've had this HR20 a week and sometimes I have to 30 second skip 2 or 3 times to get it to start. Usually the end scenes for the next episode get cut off too.
Sounds like you have the opposite problem - sounds like your clock is 30 seconds ahead instead of 30 seconds behind. Can you confirm this by using a "reliable" clock source like a cell phone that gets time from the network? I also noticed that time.gov will give you a pretty accurate (within 1 second) clock:

http://www.time.gov/

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
pgiralt said:
I've noticed that since having the HR20, most scheduled recording seem to be a minute or so into the show when the recording starts, but it wasn't until today that I confirmed the clock is indeed off.

I seem to have the opposite problem, I get cut off about 30 seconds on most programs. I've thought that recordings started late, but I usually can rewind to the beginning. So, I'm not so sure the clock is slow; I'm thinking its fast.

·
Mentor
48 Posts
pgiralt said:
Sounds like you have the opposite problem - sounds like your clock is 30 seconds ahead instead of 30 seconds behind. Can you confirm this by using a "reliable" clock source like a cell phone that gets time from the network? I also noticed that time.gov will give you a pretty accurate (within 1 second) clock:
Hmm, I guess you're right, it would be ahead. Actually I compared to time.gov and it seems to be in sync now, I'll check programs tonight and see if they record right. I've had the HR20 for a week, maybe it takes a few days before it syncs the time?

·
Godfather
304 Posts
pgiralt said:

http://www.time.gov/
You've peaked my interest... so I checked with the link provided.
1st timing: My HR20 is only 11 secs slower than the official Time.
Then I went into Setup > Display > Clock (tab) and changed my setting from "Eastern (Auto)" to just "Eastern".
Now my time is only about 3 secs. different than the official time.
See what your settings are under Clock, then compare the 2 and see if it changes.

Interesting...

·
Legend
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Slyster said:
D* just needs to set THEIR clock!
As I said - all my DirecTiVo units (which also get their time from D*) have the correct time (within 1 second), so it looks like the problem is how the HR-20 adjusts its clock and not necessarily that D*'s clock is wrong.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
I always pad my recording at least 2 minutes before and 2 minutes after so I guess I'd never notice a 30 second error one way or the other.

I've been doing this ever since the VCR recording days.

·
Legend
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
glennb said:
I always pad my recording at least 2 minutes before and 2 minutes after so I guess I'd never notice a 30 second error one way or the other.

I've been doing this ever since the VCR recording days.
The problem with this is if you have both tuners scheduled back to back, you'll end up with missed recordings because the extra to minutes on the first show runs into the first two minutes on the next show. I wish the HR20 at least did "smart" padding where it could add an extra minute at the beginning/end of each show if it is recording two shows back to back that are on the same channel.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
pgiralt said:
The problem with this is if you have both tuners scheduled back to back, you'll end up with missed recordings because the extra to minutes on the first show runs into the first two minutes on the next show. I wish the HR20 at least did "smart" padding where it could add an extra minute at the beginning/end of each show if it is recording two shows back to back that are on the same channel.
From an engineering and software standpoint, I've always wanted the Tivos and now the HR20 to figure out if two shows are back to back on the same tuner and therefore do the trivial thing of just using one tuner even if the pad's overlap. Ya know it can't be that hard to setup.

But at this point, I can wait until after OTA and manual recordings are working. ;)

Cheers,
Tom

·
Legend
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jbstix said:
You've peaked my interest... so I checked with the link provided.
1st timing: My HR20 is only 11 secs slower than the official Time.
Then I went into Setup > Display > Clock (tab) and changed my setting from "Eastern (Auto)" to just "Eastern".
Now my time is only about 3 secs. different than the official time.
See what your settings are under Clock, then compare the 2 and see if it changes.

Interesting...
Interesting indeed. Now my clock is also about 3 seconds off. I set it back to Auto and it is still 3 seconds off. Looks like a change in time zone might force it to update the clock. Let's see if it drifts again...

·
Hall Of Fame
1,448 Posts
I've had that problem with my R 15 with it missing the opening, say the first 30 seconds of a show. Very frustrating. Haven't noticed whether the HR 20 does it too as I mostly use the R 15.

·
Legend
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Earl (or someone else with D* contacts),

Is there any way to find out for D* how the time sync on the HR20 (and R15) works? Is it a valid expectation that the clock should be within 1 second of GPS clock sources? How and how often does the HR20 sync its clock with D*?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.