DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Icon
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nancy from Directv called today with good news for me! Anyway the installer is coming between 1-5 on Saturday to upgrade my dish and swap out my R15 for the HR20 to go along with my new Sharp Aquos 42". The posts here have frightened me. Is this box worse than the R15 which besides it's shortcomings has been a decent DVR? If it is on par with the R15 I can deal with that. I am going to assume my HR20 will be right off of the assembly line since it is sold out everywhere. Are newer models better since the manufacturing process has had a little time to mature? Please talk me off of the ledge before I jump!

Thanks

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
NYSmoker said:
Nancy from Directv called today with good news for me! Anyway the installer is coming between 1-5 on Saturday to upgrade my dish and swap out my R15 for the HR20 to go along with my new Sharp Aquos 42". The posts here have frightened me. Is this box worse than the R15 which besides it's shortcomings has been a decent DVR? If it is on par with the R15 I can deal with that. I am going to assume my HR20 will be right off of the assembly line since it is sold out everywhere. Are newer models better since the manufacturing process has had a little time to mature? Please talk me off of the ledge before I jump!

Thanks
Most the problems you are reading about are software related, so your hardware won't make a difference, btw there are no newer models, just different production dates.

I haven't owned a R15 so I can't tell you about that, but I loose about 2 - 6 recording a week, that can range from the unwatchable bug to the box just deciding to cancel for some reason. Since this last release I had to reboot the box 3 times. Others claim to have worse problems and there are some who claim to have no problems. IMO the HR20 has problems, but it will 80% - 95% work as a DVR, but when you are use to a DVR that works 100% of the time it is very frustrating. Good luck, I would tell D* that you would like to keep your R15 as a back up due to all the issues you have heard about the HR20, ask for a month or 2. Assuming the R15 works well for you, you might want to have a backup. I use my DTiVo as a SD backup for thing I tell the HR20 to record in HD.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
146 Posts
Back off the ledge, its not worth it!! :D

Seriously, the HR20 does have some issues, but it has been getting better with every software release. Many folks who do have issues are able to fix them with a red button reset or a re-format. I have had relatively good luck with my 2 week old boxes, so who knows. Once you get that Aquos hooked up with HD and tuned to Discovery HD or HDNet it will all be worth it. I really like the Sharp Aquos screens :up:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
Dave_S said:
Back off the ledge, its not worth it!! :D

Seriously, the HR20 does have some issues, but it has been getting better with every software release. Many folks who do have issues are able to fix them with a red button reset or a re-format. I have had relatively good luck with my 2 week old boxes, so who knows. Once you get that Aquos hooked up with HD and tuned to Discovery HD or HDNet it will all be worth it. I really like the Sharp Aquos screens :up:
For example the Unwatchable Bug, canceled recording bugs and interface lockups have been in every release since they were sold in general release. No software release has fixed these issues.

2 weeks of experience is not much to judge on, I have owned one since Aug, just because you hear someone say "it has been getting better with every software release" doesn't make it true, assuming by better you mean that it fixes the issues of making a DVR actually record. The improvements I have seen are Trick Plays work better, use to get blue and red dots on mpeg4 recording at times, and they renamed MyVOD to MyPlaylist, out side of that I am not sure the HR20 is any better than when I first got it.

As far as things getting better here is how it seems to go: the pattern goes like this, D* releases new code, the release notes state "Multiple Stability Fixes", everyone is optimistic, all systems are now on a fresh start and have had a clean reboot, we have some early reports of lockups unwatchables, or other problems but there is not a critical mass yet so they are sort of discounted as outliers, proclamations are made about how this is the best release yet, a few days go by and then we start to get a bunch of reports of problems, typically, unwatchable, unexplainable canceled programs and interface lockups (same bugs we have seen in every prior release). Somewhere in this cycle there are 3 users who will start posting about how their HR20 has never had a problem and everyones problems are hardware problems and if they just read the manual and fixed their connections we would all have wonderful HR20s, a bunch of people call BS on them. Somewhere along this line someone who had a "perfect" hr20 will announce how this release broke their HR20 and they want to go back to the last version. Some polls are made that ask poorly thought out questions. A collection of theories are produced about what is causing the bugs. Wild-ass guesses start being made telling users that they need to remove their BBC, not use feature X Y or Z, or perhaps they need to sacrifice a chicken to their HR20. The name calling starts. A collection of users will start dreaming of OTA. Proclamations of how great TiVo is or How much TiVo sucks are made, then we get a new version of software and the cycle of life starts anew.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
146 Posts
btmoore said:
For example the Unwatchable Bug, canceled recording bugs and interface lockups have been in every release since they were sold in general release. No software release has fixed these issues.

2 weeks of experience is not much to judge on, I have owned one since Aug, just because you hear someone say "it has been getting better with every software release" doesn't make it true, assuming by better you mean that it fixes the issues of making a DVR actually record. The improvements I have seen are Trick Plays work better, use to get blue and red dots on mpeg4 recording at times, and they renamed MyVOD to MyPlaylist, out side of that I am not sure the HR20 is any better than when I first got it.

As far as things getting better here is how it seems to go: the pattern goes like this, D* releases new code, the release notes state "Multiple Stability Fixes", everyone is optimistic, all systems are now on a fresh start and have had a clean reboot, we have some early reports of lockups unwatchables, or other problems but there is not a critical mass yet so they are sort of discounted as outliers, proclamations are made about how this is the best release yet, a few days go by and then we start to get a bunch of reports of problems, typically, unwatchable, unexplainable canceled programs and interface lockups (same bugs we have seen in every prior release). Somewhere in this cycle there are 3 users who will start posting about how their HR20 has never had a problem and everyones problems are hardware problems and if they just read the manual and fixed their connections we would all have wonderful HR20s, a bunch of people call BS on them. Somewhere along this line someone who had a "perfect" hr20 will announce how this release broke their HR20 and they want to go back to the last version. Some polls are made that ask poorly thought out questions. A collection of theories are produced about what is causing the bugs. Wild-ass guesses start being made telling users that they need to remove their BBC, not use feature X Y or Z, or perhaps they need to sacrifice a chicken to their HR20. The name calling starts. A collection of users will start dreaming of OTA. Proclamations of how great TiVo is or How much TiVo sucks are made, then we get a new version of software and the cycle of life starts anew.
Hi BT,
I acknowledge you have experienced a lot of frustrating issues with basic functions that should work smoothly on this box. I also agree with you that there are still unresolved software issues, and that the box still has a way to go. All I am trying to do is balance some of the negative reports with a positive report. I know 2 weeks is a very short time, and I hold my breath everytime I hear the "update" word. I also try to accurately represent my usage and my experiences, thats why I am trying to make it clear I have only had the box a short time, and it has worked well for me. Hopefully DTV will get this thing sorted out quickly, and we will have a suitable replacement for the HR10.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
NYSmoker said:

Thanks
I went from DTivo to R15 to HR20. If you got used to the R15 interface then HR20 is a breeze. There are problems on all systems: network digital broadcasts drop outs, MPEG4 conversion quality issues, and HR20 bugs. It will take time to reach zero defect but once you get hooked on HD there is NO turning back, hence the eagerness for fixes and updates. I just added a Dolby surround system (essential!). No problems feeding the Aquos.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
btmoore said:
POST OF THE YEAR! You've nailed it on the head. This should be a sticky and required reading for any new people here. I've been here only a couple months, but this is exactly what happens every time.

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
btmoore said:
As far as things getting better here is how it seems to go: the pattern goes like this, D* releases new code, the release notes state "Multiple Stability Fixes", everyone is optimistic,...then we get a new version of software and the cycle of life starts anew.
That was one funny post. I'm being forced to replace my HD Tivo with one of these, so I'm hoping I'm one of the luckier ones. Unfortunately, they already sent me a refurb that pretty much didn't work out of the box (it got to 90% on satellite update, then rebooted), so I'm off to a great start :lol: :new_cussi

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
swartzentruber said:
That was one funny post. I'm being forced to replace my HD Tivo with one of these, so I'm hoping I'm one of the luckier ones. Unfortunately, they already sent me a refurb that pretty much didn't work out of the box (it got to 90% on satellite update, then rebooted), so I'm off to a great start :lol: :new_cussi
From what I have read here, a D* refurb is a HR20 that was returned (I am betting by some one here). I think D* has a room where they stack the returned units (I mean refurbished units) they take it out of the box it was returned in and put it into a new box to be shipped to you, it is now refurbished.

·
Icon
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Hopefully I can get lucky. I reboot my R15 once a week anyway on Sunday's before bed since the interactive football features cause my box to act funny. I can deal with that. Missing a recording?! Isn't that the whole point of a DVR it is a Digital Video Recorder! :grin:

·
Icon
770 Posts
mtnagel said:
POST OF THE YEAR! You've nailed it on the head. This should be a sticky and required reading for any new people here. I've been here only a couple months, but this is exactly what happens every time.
:lol: :lol: :lol: My sentiments exactly! :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.