DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Icon
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been reading some of the threads about the HR20, and I'm skeptical about getting one yet, and wondering what some of you think. Should I wait for the second generation to come out or??? I've never had a DVR of any type, and currently have the 5 lnb dish and H20 receiver, and get my locals in HD. Directv suggested waiting for this one to come out when we first switched to the H20. Is it worth it to get it now? And, should I lease it from Directv, or just buy one from Best Buy or similar store? And last, do you simply switch cables from the H20 to the HR20, or is there more involved? Thanks, in advance, for any info!

· Icon
770 Posts
I went ahead and got a HR20 and I've had HD for over five years, starting with the one or two local channels that broadcast OTA in 200, long before even cable HD. I've also had a HR10-250 for about a year, which finally returned me to the place that I was before I got HD and just used a DirecTivo DVR. Being able to record HD again freed up my life to watch what I want when I want.

Since the latest DirecTV business model is the leased receiver, I don't see any advantage to buying from a local B&M store when you can probably get a much better deal direcTLY from DirecTV, especially since you already have a H20 and a lot of people were promised a free upgrade to the HR20 when it was released. If you're not planning on putting the H20 in another room, installing the HR20 is simply a matter of unplugging the H20 and plugging in the HR20. Shouldn't take any more than 5 minutes.

· Registered
12,607 Posts
1. It's up to you to decide if you want to get one now or wait after reviewing the issues here. There won't be a "second generation" HD DVR for awhile since the HR20 is brand new. Remember that most all of the problems you're reading about here are software bugs that should be fixed during the next few weeks.

2. Most likely you'll be leasing, even if you "buy" from Best Buy. That's how DirecTV works these days.

3. Yes, you can simply switch cables with your H20. Of course, if you want both tuners active you'll need a second cable from your dish/multiswitch to your DVR.

· Godfather
284 Posts
My honest advice would be to wait, unless you have a backup Tivo unit that you can use to ensure you can actually watch and record your shows. The HR20 seems to be a crapshoot at this point.

· Icon
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
litzdog911 said:
.... and many more that are perfectly happy with their R15 DVRs and H20 HD Receivers.
I am happy with my H20, but it is a second generation:D
And yes, that's not always what it takes, like in the case of software issues.

· Icon
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just Called Directv, and the guy I got told me it would be $299 plus $19.99 shipping up front to lease the HR20, along with a 2 year commitment. It seems I've seen posts on here where people got a lot better deals than that, yes? I've been with them for 9 years, so I think they can do better. Also, he said for full functionality, I need to run a second cable from the dish, in order to be able to record one show while watching another. This makes sense, can anyone confirm? Appreciate it.

873 Posts
norcal jim said:
I just Called Directv, and the guy I got told me it would be $299 plus $19.99 shipping up front to lease the HR20, along with a 2 year commitment. It seems I've seen posts on here where people got a lot better deals than that, yes? I've been with them for 9 years, so I think they can do better. Also, he said for full functionality, I need to run a second cable from the dish, in order to be able to record one show while watching another. This makes sense, can anyone confirm? Appreciate it.
As they say "your mileage may vary". My deal ($150 credit, $20 per month programming credit for 6 months, free AT9 dish & install) will be different from your deal. Just remind them how long you've been with them. Also, try calling their retention phone number. Some folks have had better luck with them. I can't remember the phone number, but do a search in this forum and it should come up.

Yes, you'll need a 2nd line run to your receiver to use the dual tuners.

Good luck!

· Icon
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
carlsbad_bolt_fan said:
As they say "your mileage may vary". My deal ($150 credit, $20 per month programming credit for 6 months, free AT9 dish & install) will be different from your deal. Just remind them how long you've been with them. Also, try calling their retention phone number. Some folks have had better luck with them. I can't remember the phone number, but do a search in this forum and it should come up.

Yes, you'll need a 2nd line run to your receiver to use the dual tuners.

Good luck!
Thanks! Yeah, I was calling for the info, and since I wasn't ready to order just yet, I wasn't going to go into that "i've been with you since'97" thing, but trust me, when the time comes, I will:D Haven't been able to locate the retention phone #, so If anyone knows it, I'd appreciate it.

873 Posts
norcal jim said:
Thanks! Yeah, I was calling for the info, and since I wasn't ready to order just yet, I wasn't going to go into that "i've been with you since'97 thing, but trust me, when the time comes, I will:D Haven't been able to locate the retention phone #, so If anyone knows it, I'd appreciate it.
Found it:

1-800-824-9081

· Banned
1,199 Posts
norcal jim said:
Thanks!:up:
Play dumb, be nice, don't mention deals you have seen on these forums. And keep calling until something clicks. You might want to mention you heard there are problems, and it's your only DVR, etc. Say you read it about it someplace. Whatever it takes, you should not pay $299 being a 9-year sub.

· Icon
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tstarn said:
Play dumb, be nice, don't mention deals you have seen on these forums. And keep calling until something clicks. You might want to mention you heard there are problems, and it's your only DVR, etc. Say you read it about it someplace. Whatever it takes, you should not pay $299 being a 9-year sub.
Trust me, I won't:D

· Banned
1,199 Posts
jkc120 said:
My honest advice would be to wait, unless you have a backup Tivo unit that you can use to ensure you can actually watch and record your shows. The HR20 seems to be a crapshoot at this point.
No other way to describe it. Mine worked, then didn't work, then it worked (oversimplifying here, but not worth all the details), then it didn't, now it does. Screwy. Get it, but use your H10/R10/R15 as backup. And try not to pay for it.

· DBSTalk Club Member
367 Posts
Love the HR20. Near flawless for me. With OTA, it will win as my primary DVR over my Tivo HR10.

· Banned
1,199 Posts
brewer4 said:
Love the HR20. Near flawless for me. With OTA, it will win as my primary DVR over my Tivo HR10.
Snore.

· Icon
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tstarn said:
No other way to describe it. Mine worked, then didn't work, then it worked (oversimplifying here, but not worth all the details), then it didn't, now it does. Screwy. Get it, but use your H10/R10/R15 as backup. And try not to pay for it.
Well, I don't have any kind of backup, as I have never owned any type of DVR, so I might hold out a little longer and see if a few more problems get resolved............or I may just jump in with both feet, and join the party:D My wife wants one a little more than me, but I know I will (hopefully) enjoy it when I get one.

· Legend
108 Posts
norcal jim said:
Well, I don't have any kind of backup, as I have never owned any type of DVR, so I might hold out a little longer and see if a few more problems get resolved............or I may just jump in wqith both feet, and join the party:D My wife wants one a little more than me, but I know I will (hopefully) enjoy it when I get one.
Save your marriage, don't get one just yet, wait 'til ALL the issues are resolved!

Although TiVo is not perfect it's been VERY reliable for the years I've owned one, HD and non HD. I don't remember if I ever experienced a single crash in 4 or 5 years!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.