DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an HR20 for about 2 weeks and DirecTv just came by and installed my new dish. Now everytime we type in a channel that has an HD feed we get a message that we don't get that channel. How do I get the HR20 to default to the SD feeds when I type in a channel number.

Thanks,
Joe

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
That won't work for keying in the channel number with the remote.

To the OP:

Do you have HD access on your account? You should be able to get the HD feed of any stations you get in SD. If not, call Directv and have them authorize your receiver for the HD channels.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not want to spend the extra $10 a month for Food TV in HD and the rest of the package. I do get HBO, SHOWTIME, & my locals in HD. Why would the HR20 default to the HD feed if I don't get it. I then have to press the down channel to get to the HD feed.

The favorites only affects the CH UP and CH Down buttons. It still goes to FoodTV HD when my wife types in 231. I want it to go to FoodTv (SD).

Thanks,
Joe

· Registered
24,395 Posts
JoeCraw said:
I do not want to spend the extra $10 a month for Food TV in HD and the rest of the package. I do get HBO, SHOWTIME, & my locals in HD. Why would the HR20 default to the HD feed if I don't get it. I then have to press the down channel to get to the HD feed.

The favorites only affects the CH UP and CH Down buttons. It still goes to FoodTV HD when my wife types in 231. I want it to go to FoodTv (SD).

Thanks,
Joe
Ah, what channels are you getting HBO and SHowtime On? Are you getting all of them, or just HBO east and Show East? channels in the 70's and 80's? You actually shouldn't receive any channels in HD without the HD access... not sure how your getting around that now. Are you on an older plan that has a different name for the old HD channels or something. (which should have been changed last year, but somehow got missed) ( I assume you recently upgraded from an HR10)

The units are only supposed to be activated if you sub to HD access, and are specifically designed to tune to the hd version of a channel when you type in the keys. No way around that...

There are mulitiple HBO and showtime channels as well as a lot more than the food channel, like USA and TNT and HDNET... etc... You also shouldn't be getting your locals in HD if you aren't paying the HD access fee, even by OTA....

· Registered
5,674 Posts
unless its something customer retention did, they sent me hr20 and activated it on a 3 lnb dish and non-hd package to keep me in February 2008.
didn't take long for that to be upgraded to au9s and hd package though.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
inkahauts said:
Correct... something is going on that we don't know yet... Its a mystery... :eek2:
I have been a customer for 10 years and I had a HD Tivo when it first came out.
I had the HD package back when it was 6 channels (or something like that) and I didn't feel it was worth it so I dropped it. Since then, I have always received my locals in HD and HBO & Showtime (which I get on 70 & 72). 2 months ago I got an email from DirecTV that they would give me an upgraded MPEG4 HD DVR and a new dish for free (even without an additional commitment) so I said yes. I now have an HR20 with new Slimline 5 dish. Right now my account shows:
Total Choice
DirecTV DVR service
DirecTV on demand
HD Access
HBO
Showtime
NFL Sunday Ticket

The only HD channels I am getting is HBO HD, SHO HD, regional networks & regional sports. All the others say to call to subscribe.
I like my package the way it is, I just want to be able to type in a channel number that has an HD feed and go right the feed I actually get.

Thanks again,
Joe

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
It sounds to me like they don’t have the account setup properly. If you have “HD Access” then you should get all available HD versions of all SD channels subscribed to. It shouldn’t have anything to do with the old Total Choice package I have TC+ and HD access and HD Xtra and it all works just fine.

· Godfather
308 Posts
rudeney said:
It sounds to me like they don't have the account setup properly. If you have "HD Access" then you should get all available HD versions of all SD channels subscribed to. It shouldn't have anything to do with the old Total Choice package I have TC+ and HD access and HD Xtra and it all works just fine.
Maybe.... Is there a charge for the HD channels that you receive? With the older HR10-250's, I used to receive what they called "complimentary HD Channels", thus it showed HD access on my account, but there was no charge. When I upgraded I needed to pay $10/month for the rest of the HD channels in MPEG2.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Starchy77 said:
Maybe.... Is there a charge for the HD channels that you receive? With the older HR10-250's, I used to receive what they called "complimentary HD Channels", thus it showed HD access on my account, but there was no charge. When I upgraded I needed to pay $10/month for the rest of the HD channels in MPEG2.
It shows HD access on my account, but there is no charge.
I guess you are telling me I either have to upgrade and pay the $10/month or live with the fact every time I enter a channel # with an HD feed I am going to be told I don't have that channel.

Is this correct?

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
JoeCraw said:
I guess you are telling me I either have to upgrade and pay the $10/month or live with the fact every time I enter a channel # with an HD feed I am going to be told I don't have that channel.

Is this correct?
This is correct. You should have never been allowed to not pay for HD Access in the first place. So if you want to continue on without paying the $10, you're going to have to live with this annoyance. You have to decide which is more important.

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
Early HD adopters received premium HD channels when there was no HD Access charges. He did not receive UHD, HDTH, HDNM and the other MPEG2 HD channels.This is what he has had all along and to grandfather his account it looks like they kept it the way it was when he had his HR10. He has the same HD access he has always had. I don't know of a way to keep from having the receiver default to the HD channels, I don't think you can. My father was in the exact same situation.

· Registered
24,395 Posts
JoeCraw said:
It shows HD access on my account, but there is no charge.

Is this correct?
And just so your aware... You will loose all HD Sat feeds in probably the next 6 months. You are only recieveing the old MPEG-2 HD channels, and those will all be turned off soon... I have seen many dates about when they are going to all be turned off, at the one that is the furthest out is Feburary....

So at some point, you'll probably end up biting the bullet... and there are a bunch of Show channels in HD right now...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.