DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Godfather
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning look at my HR 20; Power and resolution lights are on so I turn TV on to see what is going on. I am able to change channels. So it looks like all is well and I try to turn the box off, and it won't shut off via remote or directly.

Ok, so box is frozen. I push the red reset button. Nothing. Push it again. All lights go out and then the ppwer light comes on for about 30 seconds and goes out. I hear the hard drive churning. Try resetting it a couple of times with the same result. So I unplug it for a minute or so, and same result. The power light comes on for about 30 seconds and then goes out and nothing else happens.

Is this a dead box? I have the latest software download that came down the other night. I can't get a replacement box till next week cause they don't overnight replacement boxes. I asked why and the guy said they just don't. He said this three times. Guy was a real jerk.

Sorry for the long post. I am just so peeved right now. I have company coming in this weekend plus a bunch of stuff I recorded to watch and football games coming on to watch. If anyone has any ideas on how to get this box running, I would appreciate any thoughts.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Do you have a network cable plugged in? If so, unplug it and hit the reset button on the receiver...

·
RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
Others of us are having problems getting going again after a restart. Seems like a trend here.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Brantel said:
Others of us are having problems getting going again after a restart. Seems like a trend here.
I had problems all day yesterday, and until I unplugged my network cables, and had the system reset itself, nothing else worked...

So again, if you have a network cable plugged in, remove it and perform the reset...it worked on all 3 of my boxes that looked as if they were bricked.

·
266 Posts
humorme201 said:
I had problems all day yesterday, and until I unplugged my network cables, and had the system reset itself, nothing else worked...

So again, if you have a network cable plugged in, remove it and perform the reset...it worked on all 3 of my boxes that looked as if they were bricked.
Several of us have this issue and it is not related to the network cable in our cases. I have never had a network cable plugged into my box.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I had my box turn into a brick last Saturday after moving it from one place to another. I had downloaded 0x10B and didn't think the two were related. Now I'm not so sure.

After several unplug/replugs, I was able to get to the "almost there" screen but then it would reset itself.

Definitely try unplugging the network cables and leaving it for a half hour or so. That didn't work for me but others said it worked for them.

Either way, I hear you brother, it's a real pain when that happens.

·
Godfather
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. If by network cable you mean ethernet cable, I do not have one plugged into the unit. I will try removing all other cables and see what happens. Also, I am using compnent, not HDMI.

D* is telling me their system won't allow them to overnight a new box. I will get a new one in 2-3 "business" days. So that means next week. Uggggggh!!

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I'm not an optimist by nature, but I consoled myself while waiting the 4 days for my new one that at least they were available. It's hard to find one at retail and I understand that D* is shipping very few of them directly to new customers either.

Also if it's any help my new HR20 came with an HDMI cable in the box (at least a $15 value) and the RC34 remote that is so new even the CSRs haven't heard of it. It looks like the RC32 (larger buttons on same size remote) but from what others have said, it supports mixed RF and IR transmitting and possibly has more remote codes.

·
Godfather
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. What a royal pain. My box was fine until 0x10B was installed and now this.

Is Earl aware of this problem? If not, he needs to let D* know what is going on.

Anyway, thanks again and happy holidays everyone!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
If he wasn't aware of it before (which I seriously doubt he did know) I'm sure he knows now.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Hey gator5000e -

Do you remember what the original version of the software "as shipped" was? I was thinking about why some HR20s might go to that great Now Playing List in the sky and some wouldn't. I think that mine shipped with version 0xA9 (I do remember the A part for sure) and that makes me think it was a pretty early hardware build. My replacement shipped with 0xBE and if my theory holds, it means that it was manufactured later.

·
Mentor
39 Posts
My HR20 did the same thing last night( no network cable ). Component hook up. I finally unpluged it for 10 minutes, plugged back in and waited for 15 minutes.....Then I manually hit the power button on the receiver. It powered back up and is working, but picture quality is alittle off ( slightly fuzzy, also looks like it flickering from SD to HD about every 5 to 30 minutes).

·
Godfather
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well now I feel a bit stupid for getting all peeved but I just ran home as I was going to unplug the HR20 for a few hours to see if it would restart. Thought I would try it while I was there and lo and behold it came on. All my recordings are there and all else seems to be in order. So not sure what happened but I appreciate everyone's suggestions and sympathy. Thanks again and happy holidays to all.

·
266 Posts
If it did it once, most likely it will do it again....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.