DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· AllStar
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned everything on. It is on ESPN-HD and it is showing the picture fine. But it won't respond to anything with the remote or if I push any of the buttons on the front of the box. It won't pause, go to my VOD, show info, change channels, etc... NOTHING! But it is showinthe picture for ESPN-HD. So it's not a total locked up situation, but it's not good, either.

Any thoughts on what do to??

· Banned
1,199 Posts
mknoebel said:
I just turned everything on. It is on ESPN-HD and it is showing the picture fine. But it won't respond to anything with the remote or if I push any of the buttons on the front of the box. It won't pause, go to my VOD, show info, change channels, etc... NOTHING! But it is showinthe picture for ESPN-HD. So it's not a total locked up situation, but it's not good, either.

Any thoughts on what do to??
Reset is the only option.

· Banned
1,199 Posts
mknoebel said:
The yellow light is on - do you think it's actually recording something??
Might be, but it's of no use to you. Mine was on today when that happened, and a red button reset worked.

· Cool Member
20 Posts
I just had my HR20 installed yesterday (along with the 5LNB dish) and it has locked up three times to the point that it had to be reset. First time while fast-forwarding through a recorded program. Second time while I was looking through the help menu for instructions on how to use the "advance" button. Third time, right after I turned on the box this morning. Which wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take 10-15 minutes to come back up. I also cannot get the "advance" to work at all, and the fast forward just jumps back and forth between two frames. Coming from 2.5 years of flawless performance from my Philips TiVo box (thankfully it's still recording all of the shows the new box keeps screwing up), this box is a complete and total disappointment.

I sat on the phone for almost an hour with two levels of tech support. The first tech was freaked out that I had no signal for the 99 deg (b) satellite, but the second tech said that I wouldn't receive it. The second tech tried to talk me through a hard drive format, but it wouldn't work. If anyone wants to know what instructions she gave, they were:

1. Reset the box using the red reset button.
2. Have one finger on the "Rec" button and another on the down arrow on the receiver (not the remote).
3. The first blue screen comes up, then the screen goes black after a few minutes. Press both "Rec" and the down arrow at the same time as soon as the screen goes black. Hold for approximately 7 seconds, then release. The "Rec" light should stay on.

I did this three times with her on the phone. The DirecTV + HD DVR screen came up before the seven seconds has passed. The "Rec" light never came on. She finally agreed that the box needed to be replaced.

I hope the new box works, because I'm greatly regretting switching and paying $300 for a box that doesn't work as well as the previous one. For all the supposed advances in this new design/interface, my TiVo box NEVER screwed up.

The tech that installed the dish left the previous dish mounted to the roof; he just turned it to a different trajectory. The cables are both still coming out and going to some sort of splitter, but both techs on the phone said I shouldn't need the old dish in my ZIP code (77085) since I have a 5LNB dish. I'd like to remove the old dish since it looks bad, but I'm not sure if it's still in use or not.

· Banned
1,199 Posts
l_lamb said:
I just had my HR20 installed yesterday (along with the 5LNB dish) and it has locked up three times to the point that it had to be reset. First time while fast-forwarding through a recorded program. Second time while I was looking through the help menu for instructions on how to use the "advance" button. Third time, right after I turned on the box this morning. Which wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take 10-15 minutes to come back up. I also cannot get the "advance" to work at all, and the fast forward just jumps back and forth between two frames. Coming from 2.5 years of flawless performance from my Philips TiVo box (thankfully it's still recording all of the shows the new box keeps screwing up), this box is a complete and total disappointment.

I sat on the phone for almost an hour with two levels of tech support. The first tech was freaked out that I had no signal for the 99 deg (b) satellite, but the second tech said that I wouldn't receive it. The second tech tried to talk me through a hard drive format, but it wouldn't work. If anyone wants to know what instructions she gave, they were:

1. Reset the box using the red reset button.
2. Have one finger on the "Rec" button and another on the down arrow on the receiver (not the remote).
3. The first blue screen comes up, then the screen goes black after a few minutes. Press both "Rec" and the down arrow at the same time as soon as the screen goes black. Hold for approximately 7 seconds, then release. The "Rec" light should stay on.

I did this three times with her on the phone. The DirecTV + HD DVR screen came up before the seven seconds has passed. The "Rec" light never came on. She finally agreed that the box needed to be replaced.

I hope the new box works, because I'm greatly regretting switching and paying $300 for a box that doesn't work as well as the previous one. For all the supposed advances in this new design/interface, my TiVo box NEVER screwed up.

The tech that installed the dish left the previous dish mounted to the roof; he just turned it to a different trajectory. The cables are both still coming out and going to some sort of splitter, but both techs on the phone said I shouldn't need the old dish in my ZIP code (77085) since I have a 5LNB dish. I'd like to remove the old dish since it looks bad, but I'm not sure if it's still in use or not.
First thing, call retention and ask for a credit to pay for the HR20. Be very nice, and keep trying. Someone post the phone number, because I don't have it with me. Do whatever you can to not pay for the box.

And I think you should read over the many, many threads on this forum.

2 Posts
My HR20 has frozen at least 25 times now. Others have complained about their receivers freezing up, but not 25 times!!! Should I exchange it (Best Buy) for a new one. There are other problems as well.

· Banned
1,199 Posts
mangialo said:
My HR20 has frozen at least 25 times now. Others have complained about their receivers freezing up, but not 25 times!!! Should I exchange it (Best Buy) for a new one. There are other problems as well.
If they have them in stock,try a new one. Easy to set up. 25 freezes is weird.

· Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,178 Posts
Interestingly, my HR10 was recording something yesterday and experienced some rainfade. The recording lost a few minutes. The HR20 was not recording anything, (was not set to) but when I got home it needed a red-button reset... no output to screen, blue likes came on, but it didn't respond to commands. Was fine after that, but I hope that this isn't how it responds to rain (in this case snow)fade. I wasn't home so can't be sure.

I'm also wondering how snowy it was to cause the fade.

2 Posts
tstarn said:
If they have them in stock,try a new one. Easy to set up. 25 freezes is weird.
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a new one from Directv. At the outset, I was emphatic about not wanting to try their troubleshooting again and they responded well. Even though I purchased the unit from Best Buy, since it's a lease, I do not have to return it there and can simply return the unit to Directv once the new one arrives.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.