DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the HR20 for about 2 months now and for the life of me, I can't get used to the fast forward operation.

Has anyone been able to "truly" master this?

Last night, the wife and I were watching Dancing with the Stars and I swear, I was all over the map trying to get past the commercials and stop in a timely manner. At some points, I would hit FF three times and the picture wouldn't even move for a second or two. I was doing such a bad job that the wife grabbed the remote from me and took over (but she didn't do much better).

I like to think that I have excellent Remote Control Management skills, but for whatever reason, this HR20 has me doubting my abilities.

Overall, I've been satisified with the HR20 (still have my 2 HD TiVos) but can't find a middle ground for the FF'ing feature.

Thanks,

-Matt

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
I have had more success with 2x FF then 3x FF

I have gotten pretty good leavign the 2x FF with the Jump Back button, and either catching the the blank space before the program starts, or clipping 1s or so either way of that.

· Cool Member
20 Posts
Yeah, it's been tough, but I'm getting better at 2x FF and hitting the instant reply a couple of times. It's really the only thing I miss about my HR10 when compared to the HR20.

Joe

· Godfather
256 Posts
thepoloman33 said:
I've been using the HR20 for about 2 months now and for the life of me, I can't get used to the fast forward operation.

Has anyone been able to "truly" master this?

Last night, the wife and I were watching Dancing with the Stars and I swear, I was all over the map trying to get past the commercials and stop in a timely manner. At some points, I would hit FF three times and the picture wouldn't even move for a second or two. I was doing such a bad job that the wife grabbed the remote from me and took over (but she didn't do much better).

I like to think that I have excellent Remote Control Management skills, but for whatever reason, this HR20 has me doubting my abilities.

Overall, I've been satisified with the HR20 (still have my 2 HD TiVos) but can't find a middle ground for the FF'ing feature.

Thanks,

-Matt
Poor driving skills last night. We've all had those nights. I was a master of the remote on the HR10-250 but I've had the HR20-700 for a month now and I actually try to use the FWD as little as possible. I agree 100% with what your saying. I'm stopping either too soon or too late. It pauses before it does anything and sometimes locks up. Hopefully the FWD will become more stable and we'll regain our driving skills. I loved the feature on the HR10-250 that when you were in FWD X3 or what I called warp speed, you would get a little glimpse of the program during the commercial and that would let you know when to stop FWD'ing. Friends were blown away because they didn't no how I was able to stop at the end of the commercials and be right at the beginning of the show. Does the HR20 have that feature or am just missing it. Thx.

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
For me, I still try to do 3x, but I might go down to 2x. I don't know if HD or SD matters (like maybe more frames are dropped when FFing HD than SD), but when FFing at 3x in SD, it usually takes me 4 presses of the replay button to get back to the beginning. For HD, it can be anywhere from 6-10 presses. That's really annoying, so sometimes if I know I went to far in an HD program, I will just press the RW button once and then stop pretty close to the beginning. It's very annoying.

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
Italfra1 said:
Poor driving skills last night. We've all had those nights. I was a master of the remote on the HR10-250 but I've had the HR20-700 for a month now and I actually try to use the FWD as little as possible. I agree 100% with what your saying. I'm stopping either too soon or too late. It pauses before it does anything and sometimes locks up. Hopefully the FWD will become more stable and we'll regain our driving skills. I loved the feature on the HR10-250 that when you were in FWD X3 or what I called warp speed, you would get a little glimpse of the program during the commercial and that would let you know when to stop FWD'ing. Friends were blown away because they didn't no how I was able to stop at the end of the commercials and be right at the beginning of the show. Does the HR20 have that feature or am just missing it. Thx.
If you are talking about Tivo's autocorrection, it is supposedly a patent, but when I looked up the patent (albeit just a summary), it didn't seem like it would stop Directv from using it.

Okay, I just asked a co-worker and her Time Warner (probably the largest cable provider in the nation? maybe Cox?) DVR has the autocorrection feature. I know that companies can selectively choose who they go after for patent infrindgement, but don't you think they would go after TW? I think we need to do a more thorough investigation into this supposed Tivo patent.

· Legend
187 Posts
I have adjusted to using the "30 second advance" 8 times and not worrying about it. Jump out with the replay button and it has gone smooth. Not quite as quick as 3x ff, but more consistent.

· Godfather
256 Posts
mtnagel said:
If you are talking about Tivo's autocorrection, it is supposedly a patent, but when I looked up the patent (albeit just a summary), it didn't seem like it would stop Directv from using it.

Okay, I just asked a co-worker and her Time Warner (probably the largest cable provider in the nation? maybe Cox?) DVR has the autocorrection feature. I know that companies can selectively choose who they go after for patent infrindgement, but don't you think they would go after TW? I think we need to do a more thorough investigation into this supposed Tivo patent.
Matt, Is that what it was called Auto Detection. Was that a sweet feature or what. You could just fly through the commercials until you saw the glimpse of the program and then hit play and you were right there. With the HR20 I find it almost impossible to stop right at the beginning of the program. Seems like I always have to RWD some. Thx.

· Icon
714 Posts
If you are retared, I am, too. I have similar troubles about FF. I also have to hit replay many times to get back to the beginning. I have adapted, though. I am using 30 second slip more oftem. For NFL, 6 slips for 2 minute warning, 5 slips for challenge reviews and timeouts, 4 slips to special team transition. For PGA on ESPN HD, 3 slips. For Heros on NBC, 6 slips. I can live with close enough.

· Mentor
44 Posts
I have found that 3X FF + pressing jump back 6 times works great on mpeg2 channels...3X FF + jump back 7 or 8 on the mpeg4 channels...you can hit jump back quickly, the button presses queue.

Your mileage may vary.

· Banned
686 Posts
FF is all over the map. I use "3x" FF, and exit with one or two 6-sec Reviews, and it is always a crapshoot where that puts me. Sometimes 30 or 40 seconds ahead of where I expected to be based on the displayed frames.

More entertaining is when it'll show a series of interlaced that are seperated in time by a good 20 or 30 seconds, for instance:

A is the tail end of a commercial
B is the beginning of the show I'm trying to watch.

During "3x" FF, I'll see

A - A - A - B - A - B - A - B - B

If I drop out of FF with a 6-sec review, it's a total crap-shoot where I'll end up there. Usually 30 seconds ahead of where I expect.

· AllStar
59 Posts
Boy, am I glad I am not the only one with this problem! With my old dvr, I could hit the start of the show after the break every time. Now with the HR20, I hit it once out of every 5 or 6 times. I swear I think it FF's at a different speed sometimes!! I almost always record in mpeg2 HD, and I have to back up a few seconds alot.. My wife says I am just getting old and my hand-eye coordination is lacking. That may be true as well but......:D

· Banned
686 Posts
Someone did research a few weeks ago using the HDNet test pattern (which contains a clock with seconds) and said that the time skipped with 30-sec 'slide' was wildly variable. I am sure the accuracy of Review as well as "FF" is no better.

Yet another problem with letting sloppy code in your mpeg decoder.

· Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
mtnagel said:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6850691.html

FWIW, I can skip through a commercial break with four presses of the same button (FF) in around 5 seconds on my DTiVo. The R15, on the other hand: I usually give up and either watch part of the last commercial or do without part of the show coming back.

· Banned
686 Posts
KungFool said:
I have found that 3X FF + pressing jump back 6 times works great on mpeg2 channels...3X FF + jump back 7 or 8 on the mpeg4 channels...you can hit jump back quickly, the button presses queue.

Your mileage may vary.
The problem is that the mileage does vary- the number of Review keypresses required varies wildly, making it impossible to consistently end up at the beginning of the program, or at least the end of the commercial.

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
2x works much better on HD stuff. I first go to 3x and then drop it down to 2x by pressing the RW and then a couple replays were usually good.

I sure hope they make the FFing smoother (especially on HD stuff) so I can go back to 3x.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
This is the one feature of my DTivo that I can't live without. I still have the old one in the bedroom. After trying to master the FF 2x and jump back to catch the beginning of the scene, and then using the old DTivo again it drives me crazy.

I think I'd be willing to pay DirecTV a fee so they could license the patent for the overshoot correction from Tivo! I love the HR20 otherwise, but this maddening FF overshoot stuff is killing me. I really thing DirecTV should look into licensing the overshoot correction from Tivo and just be done with it. I know Tivo has patented every possible method of automated overshoot correction, so I don't see any legal way around their patents, but enough is enough.

If I could have that back, my enjoyment of the HR20 would increase 100%!

· Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I did some testing last night (Dancing with the Stars results show) and found that the double fast-forward with replay/jumpback is the only way I can get close to controlling fast forward.

So to skip the commercials, my sequence is:

FF, FF, jumpback, jumpback, jumpback, jumpback +/-

Is DirecTV in cahoots with the AA battery manufacturers (Duracell, Energizer)?

All this remote control activity has to be eating up those batteries. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.