DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you answer, please try to provide your model number for your HR20.

Mine unit is an HR20-700.

Has anyone here removed their front panel on their HR20 unit?

This appears to be extremely difficult since that flat ribbon cable passes through a very tight spot on the front sid eof the unit and then is also held into place by a metal tap on the front of the unit too.

If you have done it how did you do it to get to the screws that hold the hard drive in?

I wanted to upgrade my hard drive but now damaged that ribbon cable.

Anybody know where I can get a new front panel to replace this?

Thx

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Sorry, you can't get spare parts for the HR20-700. I can't say that I've tried to open mine (because I haven't) but my understanding is that it is very difficult to remove the front panel.

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else take off the front panel to the HR20 unit?

The flat ribbon cable is way too tight with space and held in by the metal tab on the front.

Any experience and tips would be great. Or where can we get parts?

· Registered
8,671 Posts
Have had a few off 20/21s during testing.. they are a trick..
as for parts? doubt you could buy any parts for one.. only chance would be a junked one..

· 1*
9,917 Posts
I'm a little curious... Why didn't you just purchase an eSATA drive and hook it up to your receiver? Wouldn't that have been a lot easier?

Also be advised that if your receiver is leased and not owned, you most likely violated your subscriber agreement.

- Merg

· Icon
528 Posts
I have done it on a owned HR20-700 I disconnected the ribbon cable from the main board.
Having worked with electronics for years I am familiar with these type of cables, on mine it was also possibly to take front off and set it aside without disconnect the cable.

Try eBay for parts.

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, are there defferent models of HR20 units just like there is for the HR21-200 and HR21-700 models?

If so anyone know if those are physically different inside and getting apart as well? THe HR21-200's are very 'cheap' inside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.