DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i did the search and all I came up with when searching for "Guide" and "Slow" delt with changing channels. So here is my issue, question:

Why on my regular old SD reciever - R10 - is paging up and down through the guide fast and smooth, but the HR20 moves through the guide like a dog walking on it's last good leg?

Any news on when this will be fixed?

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
jspanitz said:
Ok, i did the search and all I came up with when searching for "Guide" and "Slow" delt with changing channels. So here is my issue, question:

Why on my regular old SD reciever - R10 - is paging up and down through the guide fast and smooth, but the HR20 moves through the guide like a dog walking on it's last good leg?

Actually, the guide is much faster than its predecessor, the H10 DVR, and has been improved in steps as the firmware is updated. Perhaps you may want to go into the settings and address the configuration so that the 2 second channel change timing is set up.

·
Godfather
272 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Actually, the guide is much faster than its predecessor, the H10 DVR, and has been improved in steps as the firmware is updated.
That doesn't mean that the HR20 is fast. It just means it doesn't suck as much as their previous efforts. It is HORRIBLY slow.

The Tivo Guide speed on my old series 2 blows this HR20 away in guide speed. And the Tivos store the guide on the hard drive, and not in RAM like the HR20 does. And the Tivo actually has more shows to display on the screen than the HR20 does.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
ShapeGSX said:
That doesn't mean that the HR20 is fast. It just means it doesn't suck as much as their previous efforts. It is HORRIBLY slow.

The Tivo Guide speed on my old series 2 blows this HR20 away in guide speed. And the Tivos store the guide on the hard drive, and not in RAM like the HR20 does. And the Tivo actually has more shows to display on the screen than the HR20 does.
Yes the tivo style guide is fast even on the series 1 DTiVOs. Outside of stability and DLB, the fast TiVo style guide is what I miss most. For DVR purposes IMO the TiVO style guide is better for finding something you might want to record vs the classic grid guide which I think is more attuned to watching live TV.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Yea, I can't stand the slowness either, but I'm from Texas, I get use to slow.

Seems that D* would provide the same code for the guide as they do far ANY of the products and make a jump if record is pressed, not slow things down in the guide in case you push the option on different hardware types.

But I will live with it. Like I can change it!

I feel better...

·
Godfather
423 Posts
I am noticing the reverse of what you dudes are saying. My mom has an HR-10 Tivo and the guide is very, very slow (agonizingly so). Even my brother who has some TimeWarner cable DVR always complains about the slow guide on hr-10. Compare to that hr20 guide is at warp speed.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
ShapeGSX said:

The HR20 guide is definitely much faster than the grid guide on the HR-10 running 3.1 software...but not that of an HR10 running 6.3.

I much prefer the Tivo list-style guide, and it is definitely faster then the guide on the HR20.

·
Legend
118 Posts
bwaldron said:
The HR20 guide is definitely much faster than the grid guide on the HR-10 running 3.1 software...but not that of an HR10 running 6.3.

I much prefer the Tivo list-style guide, and it is definitely faster then the guide on the HR20.
I agree. I think most people compare the HR10 with 3.1 instead of 6.3. I thought 6.3 was faster than the HR20.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
dvrblogger said:
This feature already exists and has 2 weeks of tivo style guide. Just hit info in the guide when the cursor is in the left most column (highlighting the channel number such as "CNN 202"
It sort of exists, but it is rather a lame implementation, additionally it is very very slow and it has presentation bugs when you try to set a series link (2 presses of the record).

·
Mentor
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everyone is missing the point. You are comparing the HR10 Tivo unit with the HR20 non tivo unit.

I am comparing the standard def receiver to the HR 20 - they use the same guide.

And the standard def unit is silky smooth, unlike the handicapped HR-20.

jspanitz said:

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
Part of the reason the HR20 Guide is slow is because it is animated. The animation was already removed from the x-axis (when you move forward or back in time). Try it and see the difference. Only channels up and down (y-axis) are so painfully slow due to animation.

So would removing the link to the animation module be hard? Or would it be hard for a product manager to admit he made a mistake?

Would it be hard to change the call from the Guide button to actually go to the Guide? Or is the real problem that it is hard for a product manager to admit he got the plumbing backwards?

Vote on these and other Wish List Features by clicking the link below:

The option to turn off Guide/List/Menu Animation for better Ease of Use & response

GUIDE button "displays the Guide" first and Channel Categories second per p. iv. & 4

Take Care,

- Craig

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
dvrblogger said:
This feature already exists and has 2 weeks of tivo style guide. Just hit info in the guide when the cursor is in the left most column (highlighting the channel number such as "CNN 202"
I know about that feature, but I don't consider it as an adequate list-style guide.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Only once have I considered the guide "slow". I rebooted and it went back to lightning fast. I still don't understand the complaints about a slow guide as it's always been lightning fast for me, even with the animation. It's as fast as either of my SD DirecTivo's.

I too like the "Tivo style" guide but have gotten used to not having it. There is a reason why it's called the "Tivo style" guide, you won't see it on any other DVR other then a Tivo. So I've gotten over it.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
My theory is that the Guide queries the scheduler database every time you scroll through it to determine if it needs to display a Record or SL icon. The scheduler database is on the hard drive, so that can definitely lead to some lag and I think would explain why the lag time varies. I see that as a more likely candidate for the scrolling being slow; I doubt it's the animation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.