DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be be a noob kind of question, but does anyone else think the guide is too large for the screen? Some of the information in my guide screen appears to be cut off (for example, the listing at the bottom of the guide page only show about 90% of the text). Any ideas on how to solve it or anyone else have similar issues? I am using component cables to a 1080i TV, with Native on. Not sure if this affects guide data, but it is clearly not the same size as my previous HD-DVR.

It is as if it is going into the overscan area, and I have never changed that on my TV (and don't know if I can).

Thanks, Tom

· Registered
5,952 Posts
TAllen01 said:
This may be be a noob kind of question, but does anyone else think the guide is too large for the screen? Some of the information in my guide screen appears to be cut off (for example, the listing at the bottom of the guide page only show about 90% of the text). Any ideas on how to solve it or anyone else have similar issues? I am using component cables to a 1080i TV, with Native on. Not sure if this affects guide data, but it is clearly not the same size as my previous HD-DVR.

It is as if it is going into the overscan area, and I have never changed that on my TV (and don't know if I can).

Thanks, Tom
It will vary by TV...it is an overscan issue...I don't have it on my Sammy..works fine. Others report some of this or that. I think if your TV is properly calibrated for overscan the problem will go away. (HD-NET has a test screen for doing it, but each TV has its own method for adjusting it, typically from inside the TV's service menu, which a lot of people are afraid of.

You can also get a copy of Avia or Video Essentials and do the adjustment with that DVD...but you still will have to get into your TV's Service Menu.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Tom, welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

The other problem, is I'd like lots more lines and more columns too. on a 46" or larger widescreen it sure would be nice to see more data quicker. Surely someone will figure out how to give us an option in a user interface for more or fewer items...

Merry Christmas,
Tom

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! I have the test discs that show my overscan percentage, but you are right--I have never gone into my service menu. Maybe it is about time if I can find the service codes to get into it. Older Toshiba 50" Widescreen Cinema Series

· DBSTalk Club Member
485 Posts
hasan said:
It will vary by TV...it is an overscan issue...I don't have it on my Sammy..works fine. Others report some of this or that. I think if your TV is properly calibrated for overscan the problem will go away. (HD-NET has a test screen for doing it, but each TV has its own method for adjusting it, typically from inside the TV's service menu, which a lot of people are afraid of.

You can also get a copy of Avia or Video Essentials and do the adjustment with that DVD...but you still will have to get into your TV's Service Menu.
When does HDNET show that test screen? Haven't noticed it yet.

· Legend
150 Posts
I have the same problem. I have an H10 and H20 and both of them always displayed the guide correctly and on the same input on the back of the TV. The guide on the HR-20 looks like it is in "stretch" mode. On the H10 and H20 the "HD" icon would be a perfect square but on the HR-20 it is a rectangle...as if it is being stretched.

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Is there a website online with a database to find out how to get into your own service menu?

· Registered
5,952 Posts
Mixer said:
Is there a website online with a database to find out how to get into your own service menu?
Go to AVSFORUM, display area, look for your TV...go to that thread. Do a search for "service menu"...I'm sure you'll find it, and the instructions/hints on how to use it. There will also be warnings on things NOT to do, so you don't screw something important up.

If you are going to make changes in the Service Menu of any TV, make sure you write down the settings BEFORE you make any changes!

· Legend
150 Posts
Mixer said:
I have seen posts in the pasts on this subject. Everyone talks about adjusting for overscan but I don't think that should be the solution. The H10 and H20 use the same GUI as the HR-20 and they always looked just fine on the same inputs that I'm now using for the HR-20. I think this should be fixed on the HR-20 itself.

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Hasan...thanks for that. I found a site but they charge 23.99 for my service manual....LOL Is that even legal?

Anyway thanks for the tip I will look over at AVSFORUM

hasan said:
Go to AVSFORUM, display area, look for your TV...go to that thread. Do a search for "service menu"...I'm sure you'll find it, and the instructions/hints on how to use it. There will also be warnings on things NOT to do, so you don't screw something important up.

If you are going to make changes in the Service Menu of any TV, make sure you write down the settings BEFORE you make any changes!

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
If the guides looked fine on the other units then yes I agree that it is an issue that should be fixed on the HR20. But what about the idea that for some people the guide looks fine on their HR20 depending on the TV?

The deal for me is that when I am watching an HD channel the guide fits perfectly on my screen. When I switch to SD channel it does not fit. Regarless of format (stretch, pillar box, crop) Is this what everyone else is seeing?

nocaster said:
I have seen posts in the pasts on this subject. Everyone talks about adjusting for overscan but I don't think that should be the solution. The H10 and H20 use the same GUI as the HR-20 and they always looked just fine on the same inputs that I'm now using for the HR-20. I think this should be fixed on the HR-20 itself.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
Mixer said:
If the guides looked fine on the other units then yes I agree that it is an issue that should be fixed on the HR20. But what about the idea that for some people the guide looks fine on their HR20 depending on the TV?

The deal for me is that when I am watching an HD channel the guide fits perfectly on my screen. When I switch to SD channel it does not fit. Regarless of format (stretch, pillar box, crop) Is this what everyone else is seeing?
I've never seen this problem...it doesn't matter whether I'm watching SD or HD, the guide "fits" the same. I'm guessing you are running Native ON in the HR20 and it's changing resolutions that it is sending to the TV. The amount of overscan on the TV is DIFFERENT for differing resolutions (there are two settings).

On your HR20, go into your Display menu, and turn NATIVE OFF, then set the output resolution to either 720p or 1080i (using the front panel res button). I bet the problem you are reporting goes away.

· Mentor
48 Posts
I have the same issue on my Pioneer Pro710HD. I adjusted the height through the service menu and it didn't help much for the HR20. However, after the HR20 was updated to the 0108 software, the display was better - before that, it was chopping the channel numbers in half, now it only chops off the very top of the numbers where I can at least read them. Perhaps in later releases they will fix it completely. The HR20 is the only device I have with this issue.

· Godfather
372 Posts
nocaster said:
I agree the H10 scales the guide to the resolution set on the box. Since almost all HR20's are on HD sets, providing more data on the page would be a plus. The H10 guide is much nicer at 720p or 1080i, it would be nice if the HR20 implemented this as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.