DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a number of posts complaining about the guide on the HR20 being cut off at the bottom (or sometimes the top) and asking when DirecTV is going to fix it. It is possible there may be a problem with the HR20 in some cases, I am not ruling it out, but for most people this is a problem with their TV NOT their HR20. The HR20 guide is designed to fill just about all the picture being output by the HR20, as compared with the HR10 guide which does not use as much of the vertical space available. Assuming you have the aspect ratio/resolution settings correct, then most of the time the cutoff you see is because the overscan on your TV is set incorrectly. TVs have historically been set to make sure that you don't see any gaps at the top and bottom of your picture- to make sure, many TVs overlap ("overscan") the picture so you lose some of the top and bottom. If the overscan is too large, you will lose some of the key areas of the picture - with the HR20 that means the guide. To check out your overscan, look at the HDNet test patterns - these are now on SUNDAYS at 6.50 am. You can record them on your HR20 and use them for future reference. One of the patterns is a set of circles with resolution charts and overscan lines. You can see from the pattern if your picture is centred, if the height/width ratio is OK (is the center circle round?) and your overscan. Your overscan should be small - mine is about on the "8" line left and right, and 4 top and bottom, and I have seen similar numbers from others. If it is not somewhere around these numbers, you have too much overscan. You can only fix this at your TV - there is nothing the HR20 can do. Some people manage to get access to the service menu on their TV, it's different for every manufacturer and often between models from the same manufacturer. If you do not have access to the service menu then you will have to get your TV manufacturer to send someone out to adjust the overscan. It is the ONLY way to make this work.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.