DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting close to making the leap to HD. I have a question about whether there is a noticeable delay difference between the HR20 and the H20.

Currently, I have an UltimateTV receiver in my living room and a standard (OLD) D* receiver in my kitchen. There is about a 1.5 second delay difference between the two units, meaning that I can't have the sound up on both of them if they are on the same channel. Drives you nuts.

When I upgrade to HD, I'd like to get an HR20 for the living room and an H20 for the kitchen. If I'm going to end up with that same delay issue, though, I'll probably go for two HR20's instead.

Does anyone have both units where they can be seen or heard at the same time? Is the delay difference noticeable?

Thanks.

·
Icon
545 Posts
kragswei13 said:
I'm getting close to making the leap to HD. I have a question about whether there is a noticeable delay difference between the HR20 and the H20.

Currently, I have an UltimateTV receiver in my living room and a standard (OLD) D* receiver in my kitchen. There is about a 1.5 second delay difference between the two units, meaning that I can't have the sound up on both of them if they are on the same channel. Drives you nuts.

When I upgrade to HD, I'd like to get an HR20 for the living room and an H20 for the kitchen. If I'm going to end up with that same delay issue, though, I'll probably go for two HR20's instead.

Does anyone have both units where they can be seen or heard at the same time? Is the delay difference noticeable?

Thanks.
Yes, there is at least a 1.5 sec delay!
The HR20's audio/video is being buffered!

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I figured that was probably going to be the case. Looks like I'll be going for two HR-20's. Probably wouldn't use the kitchen one to record anything, but I guess it would be nice to be able to pause/rewind live stuff.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Different TVs will have different delays.
Different inputs on one TV can have different delays (depending on amount of processing of HD or analog/digital translations going on)
2 Same DVRs will each have different delays from the disk buffering

I have to keep the sound up on the one room that is adjacent to the kitchen and down in the kitchen. I can usually tolerate remote rooms that don't hear the sound from the other rooms very well.

Cheers,
Tom

·
AllStar
74 Posts
This may be "obvious", but, why don't you run the signal from the receiver in the living room to the kitchen TV?

That's what I do using the good-old coax out on my old SAT-T60 in the living room. I can't imagine ever wanting to watch two seperate shows in such close proximity, and it saves on equipment fees.

Do you really have an HD screen in the kitchen?

Dan

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not all that uncommon for me to have two different programs on the two TVs. Especially on Sunday afternoons or during NCAA tournament time. :)

I do actually have the ability to run component video from the living room to the kitchen. Regardless of which receiver I get for the kitchen, I'm planning on putting it with the rest of the A/V components in the living room so that I can just have the LCD on the wall in the kitchen and no box. I've thought about getting a switcher box so that I could choose which receiver I'm going to watch in the kitchen. If I want to watch the same thing as what's on in the living room, pick the living room receiver so there's no delay. If I want to have something different on the kitchen tv, pick the kitchen receiver.

I don't have an HD tv in the kitchen yet, but am looking for a nice 17" - 20" HD LCD for in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.