DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Godfather
Joined
·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to program harmony 680 guide button,I want to be able to press it ONCE not twice to get to my FAVORITE CHANNEL LIST . I have an HR20 receiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
Yes, there is a little trick we do here with the Harmony remotes. For your TV device, learn the Guide command from the HR20 remote. Then in your "Watch TV" activity, set the guide button on the Harmony to use the guide command for your HR20 device as well as the learned guide command on your TV device. Now when you press the guide button in the "Watch TV" activity, it will send the command twice with just 1 button push.
 

·
Icon
Dish Hopper 3, Dish Hopper Plus (sort of), Denon AVR-6500H HT receiver, Klipsch speaker system
Joined
·
730 Posts
Which works very well. Thanks Poit! Been using this swell little gem for a month now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
Strejcek said:
Which works very well. Thanks Poit! Been using this swell little gem for a month now.
Thank Jeremy. Pretty sure he was the guy here that came up with that idea in the first place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
wakajawaka said:
It doesn't work 100% of the time for me, but close enough. I've gotten so used to it that when it doesn't work I get confused as to what to do when the filters come up :)
Yep, every once in a while it will hiccup on me but it's not very often.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PoitNarf said:
Yes, there is a little trick we do here with the Harmony remotes. For your TV device, learn the Guide command from the HR20 remote. Then in your "Watch TV" activity, set the guide button on the Harmony to use the guide command for your HR20 device as well as the learned guide command on your TV device. Now when you press the guide button in the "Watch TV" activity, it will send the command twice with just 1 button push.
OK let me get this straight after I have the harmony learn the guide command from the HR20 ,next I will change guide command to learned guide command.Is this correct?
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
108 Posts
I have the 688 running my HR20. What I do is add a second non-existant dummy HR20 sat receiver for the activity. And then I go into the change button behavior for that activity. You should see your original real HR20, your TV, an AV receiver if you use one, and the dummy HR20 passthrough. You should see no buttons in use on your dummy HR20. So I find the GUIDE button entry on the real HR20 and go straight across the same row to the dummy HR20 and select GUIDE in the drop down list of commands. This effectively enters the GUIDE command twice. This also works well for any of the Custom buttons. I have one set up to go to the "To Do List" by setting the real HR20 to issue the LIST command and then the dummy HR20 issues a "YELLOW" command. I also set up a second command for every time I press the PLAY button - it also sends the REPLAY command. So every time I press PLAY, it sends the PLAY followed by the REPLAY which backs it up 6 seconds. Call it a a crude auto correction for fast forward operation. Even though it does it all the time, I really don't use it to start a show and when I pause and come back later, the replay is actually something I like.
One bit of warning though, the Harmony software doesn't like it when you program two different buttons on the same device to issue the same command. So if you have another button programmed to do the "LIST" command, you'll have to learn a new command for the LIST button and then label it LIST 2. Otherwise the newly added second LIST button function will disappear if it isn't a unique command name. The other thing you need to do is make sure the power on/off isn't going to turn off your unit each time. This avoids the duplicate toggle power button commands. Go into device options for the dummy HR20 and adjust power settings. I usually just check the box that says my device has no power buttons.
It's a little more work setting up the dummy device, but it's real reliable and can be used as a way of making a mini macro. Although I haven't done it, I assume you can add as many dummy devices you like to stack 3,4, etc commands. BTW, I got this from the Harmony tech line when I asked how I could stack commands like a macro.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
mridan said:
OK let me get this straight after I have the harmony learn the guide command from the HR20 ,next I will change guide command to learned guide command.Is this correct?
Add another custom command to your TV device and set it to the learned IR command from the HR20 remote for the guide button. When you're setting up your Activity for watching TV, set the guide button to use both the HR20 guide command and your TV guide command (which is really the HR20 guide command again, but just "learned" for your TV device) .
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jaybee said:
I have the 688 running my HR20. What I do is add a second non-existant dummy HR20 sat receiver for the activity. And then I go into the change button behavior for that activity. You should see your original real HR20, your TV, an AV receiver if you use one, and the dummy HR20 passthrough. You should see no buttons in use on your dummy HR20. So I find the GUIDE button entry on the real HR20 and go straight across the same row to the dummy HR20 and select GUIDE in the drop down list of commands. This effectively enters the GUIDE command twice. This also works well for any of the Custom buttons. I have one set up to go to the "To Do List" by setting the real HR20 to issue the LIST command and then the dummy HR20 issues a "YELLOW" command. I also set up a second command for every time I press the PLAY button - it also sends the REPLAY command. So every time I press PLAY, it sends the PLAY followed by the REPLAY which backs it up 6 seconds. Call it a a crude auto correction for fast forward operation. Even though it does it all the time, I really don't use it to start a show and when I pause and come back later, the replay is actually something I like.
One bit of warning though, the Harmony software doesn't like it when you program two different buttons on the same device to issue the same command. So if you have another button programmed to do the "LIST" command, you'll have to learn a new command for the LIST button and then label it LIST 2. Otherwise the newly added second LIST button function will disappear if it isn't a unique command name. The other thing you need to do is make sure the power on/off isn't going to turn off your unit each time. This avoids the duplicate toggle power button commands. Go into device options for the dummy HR20 and adjust power settings. I usually just check the box that says my device has no power buttons.
It's a little more work setting up the dummy device, but it's real reliable and can be used as a way of making a mini macro. Although I haven't done it, I assume you can add as many dummy devices you like to stack 3,4, etc commands. BTW, I got this from the Harmony tech line when I asked how I could stack commands like a macro.
Thanks for the detailed info:)
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jaybee said:
I have the 688 running my HR20. What I do is add a second non-existant dummy HR20 sat receiver for the activity. And then I go into the change button behavior for that activity. You should see your original real HR20, your TV, an AV receiver if you use one, and the dummy HR20 passthrough. You should see no buttons in use on your dummy HR20. So I find the GUIDE button entry on the real HR20 and go straight across the same row to the dummy HR20 and select GUIDE in the drop down list of commands. This effectively enters the GUIDE command twice. This also works well for any of the Custom buttons. I have one set up to go to the "To Do List" by setting the real HR20 to issue the LIST command and then the dummy HR20 issues a "YELLOW" command. I also set up a second command for every time I press the PLAY button - it also sends the REPLAY command. So every time I press PLAY, it sends the PLAY followed by the REPLAY which backs it up 6 seconds. Call it a a crude auto correction for fast forward operation. Even though it does it all the time, I really don't use it to start a show and when I pause and come back later, the replay is actually something I like.
One bit of warning though, the Harmony software doesn't like it when you program two different buttons on the same device to issue the same command. So if you have another button programmed to do the "LIST" command, you'll have to learn a new command for the LIST button and then label it LIST 2. Otherwise the newly added second LIST button function will disappear if it isn't a unique command name. The other thing you need to do is make sure the power on/off isn't going to turn off your unit each time. This avoids the duplicate toggle power button commands. Go into device options for the dummy HR20 and adjust power settings. I usually just check the box that says my device has no power buttons.
It's a little more work setting up the dummy device, but it's real reliable and can be used as a way of making a mini macro. Although I haven't done it, I assume you can add as many dummy devices you like to stack 3,4, etc commands. BTW, I got this from the Harmony tech line when I asked how I could stack commands like a macro.
When I add a second hr20 in device, it then gives me another watch tv2 activity on right,how do you add dummy dvr to original watch tv activity
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PoitNarf said:
Yes, there is a little trick we do here with the Harmony remotes. For your TV device, learn the Guide command from the HR20 remote. Then in your "Watch TV" activity, set the guide button on the Harmony to use the guide command for your HR20 device as well as the learned guide command on your TV device. Now when you press the guide button in the "Watch TV" activity, it will send the command twice with just 1 button push.
when you change activity on buttons first row pvr,second row television,on television row next to pvr guide is this where you put learned guide command from HR20 under television row,if that makes sense
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
108 Posts
mridan said:
When I add a second hr20 in device, it then gives me another watch tv2 activity on right,how do you add dummy dvr to original watch tv activity
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that quirk.
After adding the virtual HR20 device, rename the device to something like Dummy HR20.
Then you need to go through the setup wizard again for your current Watch TV activity. Keep all the same settings and when you get to "Review the settings for this Activity. Are these settings correct?" question, check the following option: "Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity."
The next page will show you the "Devices in use" and "Devices not in use". Click the Add button for the Dummy HR20 and it will be part of that activity. Click Save and you've added the device to the Activity.
Then go remove the power button option on the Device Options.
Then set up your buttons by clicking on the Customize link on the Activity and then on Change the behavior of buttons.
I hope this helps. :)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top