DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if they will ever add these 2 features to the newer dvr units,Cable tv has always had these 2 advantages over dbs.Since these units have 2 or more tuners,im surprised they havnt added these features yet,sure would be nice for sunday football

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Highly, Highly unlikely...

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
News mix and sports mix are better than any PIP or split screen I've ever seen. Granted you can't pick the channels, which would be better, but 6 at a time is pretty cool. I have PIP on my set and only use it to check OTA quality vs. MPEG4 when there are dropouts.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
From Earl's photos, it looks like there is only one decoder chip in the HR20. The decoder chip is the Broadcom Chip there on the right-hand side.

I checked out the Product Brief from Broadcom and on page 2, the following statement is made:

The BCM7411 supports the following decoding operations:
* 1 HD (MPEG-2, H.264 or VC-1) in real-time
* 2 SD (MPEG-2, H.264 or VC-1) in real-time
So, based on this information, the HR20 could do Picture-in-Picture some of the time, but it could not do it for any HD programming. Put your money on it NOT happening.

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats good info thanks,since the hd dvrs have first come out it seems like we have went back in time to Direct tvs first 16 bit irds,with the super slow menu and guides,If they dont get pic and pic done on this hr20,they are still steping up,maybe 5 yrs from now they will get it together enough to make it happen

the features are really only good for game day,other wise i wouldnt use them that much either,so if your not a foootball fan I see what you mean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.