DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HR20 coming to my parent's home next weekend to go with my Dad's new HDTV. Can I replace out his DirecTiVo with the HR20 and then have DirecTV handle the dish change out at a later date?

My parents are clueless and I would prefer to set it all up and have it good to go, just leaving the installer to add whatever's left to do.

If I understand right, all of the satellite still comes in on 2 cables and the RF from their antenna will need to come in on a third, which I'll have hooked up in anticipation of the OTA tuners being activated.

Thoughts?

Mitch

·
Godfather
336 Posts
mitchrc said:
I have an HR20 coming to my parent's home next weekend to go with my Dad's new HDTV. Can I replace out his DirecTiVo with the HR20 and then have DirecTV handle the dish change out at a later date?

My parents are clueless and I would prefer to set it all up and have it good to go, just leaving the installer to add whatever's left to do.

If I understand right, all of the satellite still comes in on 2 cables and the RF from their antenna will need to come in on a third, which I'll have hooked up in anticipation of the OTA tuners being activated.

Thought?

Mitch
That is what I did so yeah you can do that.

Welcome to DBSTalk.

·
AllStar
77 Posts
Why do I get the feeling that someone is gonna be in the dog house.

clueless parents + HR20 = yikes!

·
Godfather
336 Posts
Tyrod said:
Why do I get the feeling that someone is gonna be in the dog house.

clueless parents + HR20 = yikes!
Yeah have fun I hope you live near by.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
mitchrc said:

Thought?

Mitch
Welcome to the forums. :welcome_s

If the hints are correct, and if the new release does come very soon, and if it fixes the worst of the stability problems for all users (or if your parents are very lucky to be among thems that don't have any problems) then all should be good (but thats a lot of if's). You'll might even be able to test OTA during setup.

Oh, and yeah, I forgot one. If the installer does a good job and leaves your parents a better tuned dish than they have now, you'll be fine after he leaves...

Cheers,
Tom

Upon further review, I'm perhaps being a bit too negative. I do think we'll get an update soon, maybe this week, maybe next, that will solve the problems for many of us. And I wish your parents good luck with the unit.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

I also hope the ATSC tuners are activated soon. It's gonna be real difficult to go through getting that going if I'm not there.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it went pretty well.

Of course DirecTV started releasing the ATSC activation software the day after I left.

FWIW...It was my first time using an HR20. I'm a TiVo user now (and I actually worked on the UI for the original TiVo) and I gotta say: the HR20 sucks. I'll get one the moment DTV starts expanding the MPEG-4 service, but I sure hope they make a lot of improvements between now and then.

Oh and thanks for the welcome guys. I look forward to spending more time here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.