DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, After ordering on Oct 2nd, 3 cancellations and many frustrated phone calls.....

....I get a call the night before to confirm my next day appointment between 10-12pm. They take my cell number 'case they need to reschedule AGAIN. (at least they called this time, the previous three were no call/cancelled)

...next morn, 9:35 am, the Directv van (perm. decals) and two installers are at my door! YAY! One has only been on the job 2 weeks, the other 4 years....senior tells junior to do most of the stuff you think a 2 week person could do....route cable (going from 2 lines to 4), unplug Tivo DVR, relocate to second location, replug in...etc. Meanwhile, senior tech replaces old 3lnb with 5lnb (man, this dish is a monster).....here comes the funny part....

....Half way through the install, my phone rings....my wife answers....it is Michigan Microtech....

...Apparently, my installer had an EMERGENCY, and couldn't make it today, can they please reschedule for tomorrow....now, my wife has been frustrated with MM since all this started, so she instantly wants a little payback and starts playing with the agent...."Oh really, you know, you've cancelled on us 3 times now...I see this as a real problem"
agent "No ma'am, we aren't cancelling, there was an emergency, how bout we get someone else out there at 5 pm today?"
wife "No that is a problem, you see, an installer is already here doing the job" agent "Ummm, no we need to reschedule" wife "Let me talk to your supervisor" agent "please hold"
(This is the part where my wife walks ouside while on hold to tell us the story, the senior tech is like..."huh?, is that D* or MM?" wife says MM)
.....Supervisor "Ma'am, I understand you are upset about being rescheduled, but your installer had an emergency and can't make it"
wife "I'm LOOKING AT YOUR INSTALLER RIGHT NOW!!!"
senior tech "They're on CRACK!"
supervisor "That isn't possible, what is the techs job ID".
..wife hands phone to tech .."hello? who is this? Uh-huh, well, I've been here for an hour and I'm almost done, so....." hangs up....
senior tech "man, they are on CRACK"

Anyway, we laughed for awhile and they finished the install...but let me tell you, had he been on time, and not a half hour early, and I get that call???? Wow, they really would have had an emergency!!!

Long story, but here is the short part....after playing with the HR20 for hours....I can say the picture is very nice....but the ease of use is a hassle...no intuitive controlls here, multiple keyclicks to get to where I want to go...remote just isn't laid out well for me. Really, kind of minor complaints, and maybe after working with it for a few weeks I'll get used to the navigation....overall, though, I'm happy.

Good luck everyone still waiting!

TheYoke

·
AllStar
72 Posts
TheYoke said:
Ok, After ordering on Oct 2nd, 3 cancellations and many frustrated phone calls.....

....I get a call the night before to confirm my next day appointment between 10-12pm. They take my cell number 'case they need to reschedule AGAIN. (at least they called this time, the previous three were no call/cancelled)

...next morn, 9:35 am, the Directv van (perm. decals) and two installers are at my door! YAY! One has only been on the job 2 weeks, the other 4 years....senior tells junior to do most of the stuff you think a 2 week person could do....route cable (going from 2 lines to 4), unplug Tivo DVR, relocate to second location, replug in...etc. Meanwhile, senior tech replaces old 3lnb with 5lnb (man, this dish is a monster).....here comes the funny part....

....Half way through the install, my phone rings....my wife answers....it is Michigan Microtech....

...Apparently, my installer had an EMERGENCY, and couldn't make it today, can they please reschedule for tomorrow....now, my wife has been frustrated with MM since all this started, so she instantly wants a little payback and starts playing with the agent...."Oh really, you know, you've cancelled on us 3 times now...I see this as a real problem"
agent "No ma'am, we aren't cancelling, there was an emergency, how bout we get someone else out there at 5 pm today?"
wife "No that is a problem, you see, an installer is already here doing the job" agent "Ummm, no we need to reschedule" wife "Let me talk to your supervisor" agent "please hold"
(This is the part where my wife walks ouside while on hold to tell us the story, the senior tech is like..."huh?, is that D* or MM?" wife says MM)
.....Supervisor "Ma'am, I understand you are upset about being rescheduled, but your installer had an emergency and can't make it"
wife "I'm LOOKING AT YOUR INSTALLER RIGHT NOW!!!"
senior tech "They're on CRACK!"
supervisor "That isn't possible, what is the techs job ID".
..wife hands phone to tech .."hello? who is this? Uh-huh, well, I've been here for an hour and I'm almost done, so....." hangs up....
senior tech "man, they are on CRACK"

Anyway, we laughed for awhile and they finished the install...but let me tell you, had he been on time, and not a half hour early, and I get that call???? Wow, they really would have had an emergency!!!

Long story, but here is the short part....after playing with the HR20 for hours....I can say the picture is very nice....but the ease of use is a hassle...no intuitive controlls here, multiple keyclicks to get to where I want to go...remote just isn't laid out well for me. Really, kind of minor complaints, and maybe after working with it for a few weeks I'll get used to the navigation....overall, though, I'm happy.

Good luck everyone still waiting!

TheYoke
Microtech seems to have alot of problems lately, i had to go through the problem of me calling them and they would tell me they would come out.. They never called to cancel and they never show up. This happened 3 times but finally I got myself a HR-20.

·
2 Posts
I hate Michigan Microtech. I was supposed to get the Mpeg-4 upgrade 14 months ago--when it was free--signing up for it when the Detroit test market was two days old, and I have yet to get it. The first installer showed up over two hours late, walks around my house and tells me I have a line of sight on my garage roof, but that he won't install the dish because there is snow on the ground. I look at him dumbfounded as while there is snow on the grass, there is none on the porch his ladder would go on, nor is there any on the roof. I point this out to him, but the guy just tells me they can't do jobs when there is snow anywhere and that would have to wait for it to melt. I did.

I call when everything has cleared (early this year) and guy number two comes out. This guy takes one look at my current dish, which is on a tripod, and tells me that he can't do the install because they don't make a tripod for the Ka-Ku dish. I tell the guy that I didn't need one as the first installer confirmed I have a line of sight in a different place. This guy claimed I didn't and went straight to the "after-hours custom job" card, telling me he could make a tripod mount and install it for a few hunderd bucks. I knew this was bull and called his supervisor, who could have cared less. Then, about two months ago my neighbor had a service call which was done by a senior tech. He came over after he was done at my neighbors and confirmed I had a line of sight as the first guy said I did. I'm trying to get the dish again, and asked for him to come out and do it.

At least I got something out of it, though. The p.o.s. Samsung box I wanted to replace, which is why I called for the upgrade in the first place, was on its last legs, so after the second botched install I call DTV and start screaming at everyone I could, working my way up the ladder until I got someone who could authorize a replacement despite my not having their insurance. This person initally offers me a used H-10, I decline, and to make a long story short, I was able to get a new HD Tivo out of the deal.

Since I had that I didn't care about the upgrade as much and only decided to upgrade now as FSN Detroit went HD. I ordered two HR-20s last friday from bestbuy's website and they arrived the last night, or the next Tuesday. Mich Microtech is supposed to be at the house Jan. 10th to install the dish. I'm not holding my breath that it gets mounted this time.
Great picture Aside from not being able to hook up an OTA antenna

·
Legend
231 Posts
poz235 said:
I hate Michigan Microtech. I was supposed to get the Mpeg-4 upgrade 14 months ago--when it was free--signing up for it when the Detroit test market was two days old, and I have yet to get it. The first installer showed up over two hours late, walks around my house and tells me I have a line of sight on my garage roof, but that he won't install the dish because there is snow on the ground. I look at him dumbfounded as while there is snow on the grass, there is none on the porch his ladder would go on, nor is there any on the roof. I point this out to him, but the guy just tells me they can't do jobs when there is snow anywhere and that would have to wait for it to melt. I did.

I call when everything has cleared (early this year) and guy number two comes out. This guy takes one look at my current dish, which is on a tripod, and tells me that he can't do the install because they don't make a tripod for the Ka-Ku dish. I tell the guy that I didn't need one as the first installer confirmed I have a line of sight in a different place. This guy claimed I didn't and went straight to the "after-hours custom job" card, telling me he could make a tripod mount and install it for a few hunderd bucks. I knew this was bull and called his supervisor, who could have cared less. Then, about two months ago my neighbor had a service call which was done by a senior tech. He came over after he was done at my neighbors and confirmed I had a line of sight as the first guy said I did. I'm trying to get the dish again, and asked for him to come out and do it.

At least I got something out of it, though. The p.o.s. Samsung box I wanted to replace, which is why I called for the upgrade in the first place, was on its last legs, so after the second botched install I call DTV and start screaming at everyone I could, working my way up the ladder until I got someone who could authorize a replacement despite my not having their insurance. This person initally offers me a used H-10, I decline, and to make a long story short, I was able to get a new HD Tivo out of the deal.

Since I had that I didn't care about the upgrade as much and only decided to upgrade now as FSN Detroit went HD. I ordered two HR-20s last friday from bestbuy's website and they arrived the last night, or the next Tuesday. Mich Microtech is supposed to be at the house Jan. 10th to install the dish. I'm not holding my breath that it gets mounted this time.
Great picture Aside from not being able to hook up an OTA antenna
I had to deal with Michigan Microtech on three different ocasion during my 10 years+ with D. everything that can go wrong will go wrong with them.
They told me I had a line of sight issue, I did not. and on another visit their install looked like crap. Be sure you watch them evey minute and do not blink once.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.