DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Legend
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had my HR20 installed today. The picture is incredible....on tuner one. I have run the tests and it says the tuner is ok but it is obviously not. When checking signal strength only the even transponders show up. Also when recording a program and trying to change the channel it says that there is a live tv conflict and to choose which tuner to change the channel on but the second tuner is grayed out and it says "title not available" as the show that it is currently on. Am I missing something in setup or installation that can fix this or did I get a broken machine?

· Registered
12,607 Posts
Try swapping the two satellite cables on the back of the DVR .... does the problem "move"? If not, then your DVR has a defective tuner (be sure to remove the B-Band Converter modules if you've installed them). If it does "move", then something is wrong with the cable/connector or dish/multiswitch output feeding that cable.

· Godfather
336 Posts
I second what litzdog911 said remove the BBC's I thought that I had a dead tuner 2 like a lot of people, come to find out I have 1 bad BBC.

· Godfather
439 Posts
Carbon said:
I second what litzdog911 said remove the BBC's I thought that I had a dead tuner 2 like a lot of people, come to find out I have 1 bad BBC.
Same here. Removed the BBC's and the HR20 has not had any further tuner issues.

· Legend
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a quick question while this thing reboots. Do I need to unplug the unit from the wall while swapping cables on the sat inputs? or have I been wasting my time with these hard reboots?

· Legend
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it seems that after swapping cables with the bbc's removed I now have...are you all ready for this?..... TWO tuners working correctly! I had already swapped the cables and talked to D* about this and they never once recommended that I take off the bbc's. Shocking I know. But I didn't take the time to read here first like I should have. D* just said "so you swapped the cable and the problem stayed with the second tuner?" and strangely it did so I said yes. They then said that they were going to send out a new hr20 to me. I didn't argue as I had waited 6 weeks to get this one and didn't feel like waiting to get one that worked properly.

My questions now are these:

Why would the problem not follow the bbc when I swapped them the first and second times? Is tuner 2 more sensitive to the bbc? Is that even possible?
What should I do with the new hr20 they are shipping me? I think it is too late to have them stop the shipment. So what should I do?

One other thing. I recorded the Bruins on NESN HD last night and the recording was there but was completely unwatchable. Stuttering, skipping, blocky and just down right terrible. I did a test just now to see if it was the channel and low an behold it is. When watching it live the picture is perfect without even a trace of an artifact or skip. But the recordings (I made 2 more of about five minutes) are unwatchable. I am recording some other channels that are mpeg4 to see if it is the codec or the channel. Is this something that sounds like another issue or is it something that is known and needs to be addressed in a software update?

· Legend
169 Posts
Argghh!

I had a new HD20-700 installed on Tuesday with Slimline A9 Dish + 4x8 MultiSwitch.

Everything worked fine that night...the next morning I get "Searching for Satellite" on Tuner 2. Going to the Menu shows that only EVEN Transponders are showing up. I have 4 other Tivos in the house (3- DSR7000, 1 HR10-250) and this EVEN only Transponder problem is effecting them also. Also, it is the 101 bird only.

Well, last night it all worked again for about 2 hours (only time I noticed it when I got home from work, so it could've been fixed for longer)...then at 9:30PM local time...back to "Searching for Satellite" on Tuner 2.

I removed the BBCs and have reset'd numerous times...unplugges all the receivers and plugged in just the HR20-700 -- no go.

You think it's the 101 LNB or the multiswitch?

Thanks in advance for any information...

· Registered
14,539 Posts
bbq-allstar said:
Argghh!

I had a new HD20-700 installed on Tuesday with Slimline A9 Dish + 4x8 MultiSwitch.

Everything worked fine that night...the next morning I get "Searching for Satellite" on Tuner 2. Going to the Menu shows that only EVEN Transponders are showing up. I have 4 other Tivos in the house (3- DSR7000, 1 HR10-250) and this EVEN only Transponder problem is effecting them also. Also, it is the 101 bird only.

Well, last night it all worked again for about 2 hours (only time I noticed it when I got home from work, so it could've been fixed for longer)...then at 9:30PM local time...back to "Searching for Satellite" on Tuner 2.

I removed the BBCs and have reset'd numerous times...unplugges all the receivers and plugged in just the HR20-700 -- no go.

I had the every other transponder yesterday (evens were 0 on mine), but we had ice & snow. Check your outside LNB connections to make sure all fittings are tight and dry.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
bbq-allstar said:
Argghh!

5 DVRs, only 8 outputs? Are some of the Tivos only using one tuner?

My first thought is that water got into the cable that was spliced at the dish to align the dish. (At least there should be a cable they could splice into.)

Or could be bad connection at the switch.

Then you start to get to LNB or switch. For two receivers, you can bypass the switch and see if that helps.

Cheers,
Tom

· Legend
169 Posts
tibber said:
5 DVRs, only 8 outputs? Are some of the Tivos only using one tuner?

My first thought is that water got into the cable that was spliced at the dish to align the dish. (At least there should be a cable they could splice into.)

Or could be bad connection at the switch.

Then you start to get to LNB or switch. For two receivers, you can bypass the switch and see if that helps.

Cheers,
Tom
Yep...The HR10-250 has 2 inputs, the HR20-700 has 2 inputs, 1 Tivo has 2, and the other 2 Tivos only have 1 input (kid's room).

We haven't had any bad weather here...all the connections are tight...I have a DirecTV guy coming out tomorrow so I HOPE it'll get resolved then...I can't miss the Sharks vs RedWings game on HDNet tomorrow!!!

Would water or a bad connection only affect one of the Sats?

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,472 Posts
bbq-allstar said:
I think you're supposed to have a WB68 switch.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
bbq-allstar said:
Yep...The HR10-250 has 2 inputs, the HR20-700 has 2 inputs, 1 Tivo has 2, and the other 2 Tivos only have 1 input (kid's room).

We haven't had any bad weather here...all the connections are tight...I have a DirecTV guy coming out tomorrow so I HOPE it'll get resolved then...I can't miss the Sharks vs RedWings game on HDNet tomorrow!!!

Would water or a bad connection only affect one of the Sats?
Yes...for now, but that would depend on which transponder your HD locals are on. If the cable is shorted or damp the odd side of the LNB might not get enough power to amplify the signal. Or the signal could be attenuated by water or corrosion on that one line. (This would be the line between the switch and the dish, btw).

The switch could be bad if the one line that is supposed to bring in the 101 odds is not being switched or forwarding power from the receivers to the dish.

And you are correct, the LNB could be bad if everything else is working. Bypassing the switch is something you might be able to do if you have easy access to the switch. Otherwise you can plug a receiver into the dish at the test point, the place that one line should have a splice by the dish. (Or at the grounding block, if that is accessible.)

Good luck,
Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.