DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
thekochs said:
Just wonrdering if 127 degrees farenheit is OK level for HR20 ?
I got the two-fan Targus model from Walmart online and I do use the USB port to power it. Mine runs from109-118. I didn't invert mine either, because on mine, the fans are reversed and the air blows out a slit in the back of the pad. It's called a chill mat.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
hasan said:
There's been a lot of discussion in other threads about this. The consensus seems to be that 127 isn't bad and that the HR20 does not have a heat problem.

That being said, it was too hot for my "comfort zone". Mine was running 127 out in the open on a vertical equipment rack with plenty of space for ventillation. I bought a "cool pad" laptop cooling unit that has two fans (I think it's a Targus) and 4 USB ports. I just set it it UPSIDE DOWN (so it would draw heat out of the vent slots on the top of the the HR20). It is dead quiet and is AC powered (not USB). It dropped the temperature 20+ degrees and it now holds about 105 +/- 2 degrees and I feel a lot better.

My concerns are long term reliability and with nearly all electronics (and especially hard drives), cooler is better.

I obviously don't use the USB ports...I got the unit for its dual cooling fans and an additional nicety is that it is silver, matching the HR20. It was too expensive. I paid about 50 bucks for it...I think you can get the same thing hunting around a bit for half that.
Why is it obvious that you don't use the USB port? Are you worried it might affect the machine? I use them and they do provide power.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
lguvenoz said:
Have any of you guys had issues with the HR20 and has the additional cooling helped????
I have had only the BSOD issue, which is the blank screen frozen at 0:00 when trying to play something from MyVOD. Other than that, none of the other issues. Until today, when I started getting a blank screen/frozen box requiring a reset.

But mine is running at about 110-115, so the fan is having a good effect. Hasan's idea to mount the fan is good, but way too much trouble. Also, as he says, it's probably just some weird obsession. When I touch the top of my unit, it's cool.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
richadam said:
Thanks for the link, I am picking one up today! That with the 0x104 release gives me hope if nothing else.

Thanks again.

appreciatively yours,
rda
Did you get the download yet? And if so, any progress/tranquility with the HR20?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.