DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 9 Posts

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wonrdering if 127 degrees farenheit is OK level for HR20 ?

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, great feedback. 127F is about 58Celcius. Most/All components in Consumer Electronic equipment are rated 0-70C. Thus, I'm gathering if there have been no heat issues on this box then you should only worry if you are seeing 150F+.

I agree cooler is better....especially ICs on HDD control boards but these designs have gotten much better on heat in recent years.

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
127 is the normal operating temperature for the unit.
Earl, what is the upper limit for temp that that D* is telling you ? Also, is this reading on INFO/TEST the ambient in the box or what ?

I found out when I turn ON the HR20 mine is running about 127F....after a few minutes of live TV it drops to 125F. When I Record a show it goes to 129F...when I view a Recorded show it goes to 131F. Is this still within Normal ? I have this in a electronics rack but it does sit on top of my H20. The H20 ON/OFF does not appear to have any temp effect of HR20. These units are behind glass but completely open on side and back...however on top of HR20 about 1" clearance is another shelf. Seems like most of the heat comes from side vents. Where is fan located in the unit ?

Also, I know it is not operational but the USB port on the back of the HR20/H20 appear to be powered ? I put a USB stick into the slot and it's power light came on. However, I noticed that the port must be powered no matter if the HR20/H20 is ON or OFF. This is too bad....wish it would cut power when the unit is OFF....this way you could put a cool pad on top the unit and power from USB....the unit would only be on when the settop is. If you are giving suggestions to D* this would be a good one.

Also.....this was posted on another thread but thought would include here. http://www.cool-components.com/33.html So, I guess you could go Coolpad for ~ $30 connect to HR20 USB or AC but powered whether box is ON/OFF. Else, I like the inline heat sensor they have but the threshold is 73F....guess you'd have to try to see what the outside temp on top the HR20 is verus the 125F-130F inside temp.....which I guess is the ambient inside box ?...not sure. Anyway, this stuff is more expensive but looks like better for AV rack or cabnet items like DVR than Coolpads.

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
harsh said:
131 is the upper limit of the operating range of a hard drive. If the ambient is that high, I would think that the top plate of the hard drive (where the temperature is measured) is hotter than the 55C limit.

I'm inclined to think that the temperature is actually the CPU temperature.

Now we know that the thermometer goes above 129!
I agree with you on the HDD 55C limit...some of the Maxtor CE drives spec 60C though. However, I'm guessing the CPU is not measured but maybe the HDD. The CPU is not running that many MIPS in these boxes.....maybe 300-500 or so but the HDD is the biggest point of failure so my bet is the temp is the HDD. That said, sure is pushing the limit at 131F. Also, when I playback recording the temp rises, live TV it drops to 125F.

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So this is unofficial but good guideline.

Normal HR20-700 is 120F-131F. Mine averages about 127/129...no extra fans.
I'm not sure what the temp reading is actually measuring in the box but it couldn't be ambient or the box would be on fire and the components would be well out of range. So, it is either CPU or HDD. I'm guessing HDD because this is the #1 failure mechanism in all industries.....example POS & Kiosks, etc. Many of the HDD manufacturers are dealing with these companies (eg. IBM, NCR, etc.) with high temp drives. Wanna know what they consider high temp ?.....only 60C operational. So, considering this is a settop box and drive is 300GB SATA I'm guessing 55C typical HDD spec. So translated in Farenheit this means if 131F. 60C is 140F.

So, what does this mean ?.....don't know because nobody has confirmed any of it but my recommendation would be if you are 131F or below no worries. A a coolpad that extracts heat and brings down to lower temp is always good....less stress on HDD. However, 131F and below is fine. You can google on coolpad and their ~ $20.....some are AC powered....some USB powered....which HR20 USB port is powered. Also, there are some sights (http://www.cool-components.com/33.html) that have higher end coolers with inline shutoff switches based on a thermometer. I've never tried but with these starting up at 70F I'm not sure how well they would work. Personally, I'd like to see D* turn off the USB port power on standby mode....this would be nice turn the USB powered coolpad off.....hope they are listening.

So, 131F-140F is kinda Orange warning area....basically you are operating at top level range of HDD. Above 140F you probably are going to have real issues. I assume from other posts the HR20 shuts down by having a internal temperature thermistor however if the box is running at these temps consistantly it is either a box issue of your enclosure.

Anyway, two cents for what it is worth. I check temp when I'm recording, when playback, when Live TV, etc. to get an idea of modes of operation effect. I'm sure all know but go into MENU>Setup...click setup and go over to first page tab and scroll down for temp reading.

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
paulman182 said:
"So, switches based on a thermometer. I've never tried but with these starting up at 70F I'm not sure how well they would work. Personally, I'd like to see D* turn off the USB port power on standby mode....this would be nice turn the USB powered coolpad off.....hope they are listening."

Thanks for the informative post...but I hope they are NOT listening.

I'm not using a USB fan--mine is a lot bigger, sucking air out the top--but the HR20 runs the hard drive, and generates heat, even in standby.

If someone were using a coolpad on top of the HR20, it had better stay on at all times, or it'll trap that a lot of that heat in the HR20.

Check the temp of your HR20 when you come out of standby and you'll probably find it is as warm as when it has been on for a while. If the fan is needed at all, it is needed anytime the HR20 is plugged in.
Good point !!!!! Scratch that request D*. Guess Standby isn't a power state like in a laptop...huh ? :D

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
harsh said:
I too am guessing HDD because most modern drives have built-in thermometers and, as you said, it is the critical path.
They do......it's a part of the SMART functionanlity in a drive. There is a device called a Thermistor that measues temp and thru the SMART interface (which monitors much more than temp...example bad writes/reads, etc.) tells the system there is a threshold violation. It's up to the firmware/system to decide what to do at that point. CPUS like Intel Px, AMD, etc. have these on-board and they cycle back clock rate and/or shutdown.

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I bought a Coolpad2 at FRYs for $20 and it has dropped my temp from 129F to 108F. It runs quiet and plugs into powered USB port on back of HR20. This one worked out well since it has standoffs on the bottom that give it about 1/4" standoff and fans pull air out of HR20. It is designed to have notebook sit on top of the unit so I didn't need to flip it. See below pic.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.