Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
vegout said:
Earl,

After hearing about some HR20s failing due to heat issues, I am interested in your thoughts about this. Perhaps there should be a recommendation to use a laptop cooler in all enclosed or semi-enclosed situations. I have mine in a vented closet so I am using one. For $30 or so, it seems like cheap insurance.

I'm also moving over from the UTV world, where it was pretty much standard practice to use a fan or cooler of some sort to keep them going.
By the way, with no respect to Bill, that's one great DVR. The HR20 is getting close with the new and improved slip. I think we owe CNET for this one as they noted it in their review.

Also, if we go the ESATA route, can we disconnect the internal HD to help the heat issue?

Thanks for all that you do.
Heat is an issue for ALL consumer electronics...
So cooling pad, ect will help... but doesn't cure the root cause. These cabinets need to have some sort of air flow in them.

If you go the eSATA, you will have to crack the case to pull the cable... and that kinda defeats the purpose of eSATA...

·
Icon
764 Posts
I have a small clip on fan I usually keep on my PC table here to blow on my external Firewire drives when they are on for a while, as they tend to heat up. For grins I took it out and clipped it next to my HR20. I expected it to cool down, but not this much!

My typical has alwasy been 127 most the times I checked it. It dropped to 120 immediately, then I went out on an errand and when I returned, it was at 86 and still is. It certainly seems to show that these things have no cooling at all, and that D* perhaps ought to think about it. I am still at 0xFA too btw. Some say it runs a bit cooler with this new update, but I don't have that update yet.

Anyway, thought it was interesting. I shall leave it on there I think, or look for a smaller one. It obviously is better for any electronics to run cool, and though 127 is apparetnly within the safe op temp, I much prefer it to be lots cooler, esp when its this easy to do. I posted a pic of the setup screen and beneath it the fan. Its probably abit big for the job, but it sure is working nicely. :D see the pics if you wish at
http://www.webwholesaler.net/DTV.htm

·
Icon
764 Posts
Jeremy W said:
That fan is 5x the size of anything that could possibly fit inside the HR20. Of course it's going to do a better job cooling it down.
Yes of course it is. Thats not my point. I am merely pointing out how they have no cooling, and what a differnce cooling can make. Anyway, the little muffin fans that they *can* put in there are capable of putting out a lot of circulation and cooling it way down from what it currently runs at.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I am about to put the HR20 in a different entertainment center, so I bought one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...=&origkw=usb+fan&kw=usb+fan&parentPage=search

on the advice of someone in this forum. It seems like a real quality piece, variable speed, retractable cable, everything. It's been said before that the normal operating temp of the HR20 is 120-127, I think, but now I've got it, in case it gets hot in there.

·
Icon
764 Posts
lamontcranston said:
I am about to put the HR20 in a different entertainment center, so I bought one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...=&origkw=usb+fan&kw=usb+fan&parentPage=search

on the advice of someone in this forum. It seems like a real quality piece, variable speed, retractable cable, everything. It's been said before that the normal operating temp of the HR20 is 120-127, I think, but now I've got it, in case it gets hot in there.
Yes Thermaltake is a name in cooling htat has been around for years. That looks like a good unit. I didn't even know, does the HR have a USB Port? "Cool" Pardon the pun.

·
Icon
764 Posts
nevetsgne said:
I have a USB laptop cooler under the HR20 by Antec.

Although is sucking air down, technically I'm not blowing air into it.
Thats an effective means of cooling as well. What kind of temp do you show with using it?

·
Mentor
38 Posts
lamontcranston said:

Thanks for the link, I am picking one up today! That with the 0x104 release gives me hope if nothing else.

Thanks again.

appreciatively yours,
rda

·
Mentor
34 Posts
lamontcranston said:

I am using two of these fans in my cabinet, and it dropped the temp by 10 degrees F. They work great. Not the quietest in the world, but since I mounted them on the back of the cabinet, the noise isn't too bad.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
Just be careful which way your blowing that air... Most Computer towers and racks don't blow air toward the equipment, they are made to draw air away from. This also aids in the dust build up... By blowing into the unit you are forcing particles and dust on to everything which will eventually cause it all to overheat, fan or not. Also, keep a good bottle of air on hand and blow it out once in a while - but be sure to stand back, you'll be sick at the ammount that will come out in so little time....:barf:

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Coffey77 said:
Just be careful which way your blowing that air... Most Computer towers and racks don't blow air toward the equipment, they are made to draw air away from. This also aids in the dust build up... By blowing into the unit you are forcing particles and dust on to everything which will eventually cause it all to overheat, fan or not. Also, keep a good bottle of air on hand and blow it out once in a while - but be sure to stand back, you'll be sick at the ammount that will come out in so little time....:barf:
Blowing air in without complimentary exhaust fans is a VERY BAD idea. When you blow air in, you stand a signficant chance of creating eddy currents (with resulting dead spots), where the temperature goes UP instead of down, but NOT where the temp sensor is...so you could have localized heating that goes undetected.

So in addition to dust accumulation, there is the potential for increased localized heating by blowing into the case.

If you are going to add a fan, make sure it EXHAUSTS heat out the top (or rear). I have done so (for two months) and find that the "normal" temp is 127 and then, when using a fan on top exhausting air, takes it down to anywhere from 106 to 92 degrees, depending on how I set the fan speed.

I'm NOT saying a fan is required. I didn't see any sign of overheating at 127. However, heat is a known and demonstrable "long term" issue for sensitive electronics, particularly hard drives. For next to nothing, it is a nice add-on. In my case it was nothing, I have several fans with speed controls on them laying around, so I just put on 4 rubber feet and laid it on the case, at the warmest spot. My HR20 runs cool now, and I no longer think about "heat".

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
richadam said:
Thanks for the link, I am picking one up today! That with the 0x104 release gives me hope if nothing else.

Thanks again.

appreciatively yours,
rda
Did you get the download yet? And if so, any progress/tranquility with the HR20?

·
AllStar
57 Posts
So, a few weeks ago I installed two cool-components 3" cabinet vents drawing air out of my cabinet, and a Targus Notebook Chill Mat drawing air directly out off the HR20, and now my HR20 runs at 114F with the cabinets closed for 3 days straight.

I also have the temperature sensor for the cool-components fans connected.

And the noise from the fans is barely noticible when amp is cool (20 minutes or so after being turned off) (can only hear if 2 feet away and rooms completely silent), and is impossible to hear when the system is on and there is any noise at all coming from the speakers.

Love the peace of mind that my HR20 wont start smoking like my original unit...

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Coffey77 said:
If you've installed it, and sorry if I missed how you did, does it screw in to something on the DVR or do you just have it resting "near" or "on" it?
What I actually did was to drill a hole in the back of my cabinet, and mount the fan to the cabinet. This takes the warm air directly out of the cabinet.

·
Legend
212 Posts
MercurialIN said:
I am used to seeing the temp listed in celcius on the stupid R 15 (I don't know how to convert that to farenheit, I'm mathmatically "challenged")
9/5 x Celcius+32 = Farenheit

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I bought a Coolpad2 at FRYs for $20 and it has dropped my temp from 129F to 108F. It runs quiet and plugs into powered USB port on back of HR20. This one worked out well since it has standoffs on the bottom that give it about 1/4" standoff and fans pull air out of HR20. It is designed to have notebook sit on top of the unit so I didn't need to flip it. See below pic.

Attachments

·
3 Posts
I recently noticed my week old HR20-700 was running at 127.
I've been having numerous BSOD events...family has been unhappy with this after the R-15 mess. I put the unit up on two VHS tapes and the temp dropped 5 degress almost right away. Added a small fan on top nothing like what you guys have been talking about and it's now running about 104 - 107. I'll post a more after a while.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.