DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
divenut1 said:
I recently noticed my week old HR20-700 was running at 127.
I've been having numerous BSOD events...family has been unhappy with this after the R-15 mess. I put the unit up on two VHS tapes and the temp dropped 5 degress almost right away. Added a small fan on top nothing like what you guys have been talking about and it's now running about 104 - 107. I'll post a more after a while.
127 is pretty "nominal". I don't recall seeing any posts indicating anyone had a problem that they could conclusively attribute to heat at this level.

That said, I'm temperature retentive. I'm interested in the long term, and for that, cooler is better (short of outright frigid). I use a 5" equipment fan with my own speed control on it. My temps run 102 +/- 2 degrees or so.

I've never had a BSOD, but I would not claim temp has anything to do with it. I just like my stuff to run cool. Old habits die hard.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Coffey77 said:
If you've installed it, and sorry if I missed how you did, does it screw in to something on the DVR or do you just have it resting "near" or "on" it?
Sorry, I never saw your post. I've got the fan on its side and I put felt "feet" on the contact points to cut sympathetic vibrations. The best place for cooling turned out to be right over the hard drive. With the door to the cabinet open and the fan on full blast I can get the temp to 91.

However, for everyday, it's been providing very adequate cooling at 1/2 speed with the cabinet door closed, placed right over that big heat sink toward the left back of the unit (see Earl's review for the photo of the inside). It runs 115 when left in standby and just woken up, and 118-119 while recording two things, watching a third, doing trickplay, etc.

Also I'll note that it is pulling air out not blowing it in.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.