Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
Just ran across this little tidbit concerning Dish Network building up toward allowing their boxes to download content from the internet, including HD content, for later viewing:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/20/dish-network-looking-offer-movie-downloads-via-iptv/

The article says that the downloads are via IPTV, but I think that may be a misuse of the term IPTV. My understanding is that IPTV is what Verizon and AT&T (Uverse) are rolling out, where the video is actually broadcast in real time to the home. I would imaging what Dish is proposing here is not "live" content over the internet, but downloading content over a normal DSL speed (i.e. 3mbps) internet connection that then gets stored on the box for later viewing.

In any case, if Dish is moving in this direction, and Tivo too according to the article, could DirecTv also be cooking up something similar for the HR20-700? I ask cause it seems logical but I haven't actually seen any speculation on it here. Earl, care to throw us an ambiguously worded semi hint :)

It certainly would open up a bunch of possibilities for niche shows that don't warrant having their own special channel. Even allowing small groups or individuals to produce content. Kind of like Youtube but hopefully normal SD and HD quality and not iPod size windows.

Robert

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
IPTV is an "industry term" referring as a "generic" to getting video content via IP connections.

DirecTV announced back last February and even more recent then that as well, that they are working on Broadband based VOD (which is the samething), that these Dishnetwork screen shots are showing.

But right now, I don't think "either" company, is thining about tap-ing into the IPTV companies out there, such as Akimbo and others.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.