DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our HR20 up and running this evening and I just have a few questions that hopefully someone might be able to help us with.

Our installer was incredibly unprofessional and on top of that didn't do a very good job of routing our RG6 cables. However, he did make good splices; quite honestly I just wanted to get him out of here knowing I could re-route the cables. His conduct is for another place and time.

My questions are:
1. Do I need to unplug the unit to re-route the RG6 cables or can I just turn the power off?
1a. If I have to unplug it, am I just asking for problems when I power it back up?

2. Can I move the BBC's from behind the unit down stream to the 6x8 switch, because of space constraints in our entertainment center?

3. I've noticed that the record light on the face of the unit has flashed a couple of times and then goes out while we're watching TV. Is this normal behavior?

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
2tonedug said:
We just got our HR20 up and running this evening and I just have a few questions that hopefully someone might be able to help us with.

Our installer was incredibly unprofessional and on top of that didn't do a very good job of routing our RG6 cables. However, he did make good splices; quite honestly I just wanted to get him out of here knowing I could re-route the cables. His conduct is for another place and time.

My questions are:
1. Do I need to unplug the unit to re-route the RG6 cables or can I just turn the power off?
1a. If I have to unplug it, am I just asking for problems when I power it back up?

2. Can I move the BBC's from behind the unit down stream to the 6x8 switch, because of space constraints in our entertainment center?

3. I've noticed that the record light on the face of the unit has flashed a couple of times and then goes out while we're watching TV. Is this normal behavior?
1) I don't bother to unplug but then again i've seen warnings here about not doing so.
Hopefully we'll get an update soon that will solve any problems you'd have unplugging the unit.

2) yes, but there is a distance limit. If you move them to something less than 40', from what I've read, you should be good.

3) Several people have reported seeing this from time to time. doesn't seem tobe a problem.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
If you are disconnecting the SAT Lines for any length of time.
Unplug the unit.

As the tuners may detect a long period of lack of signal and disable the tuner.
So your better off just pulling the power.

·
AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot you guys for the quick replys. I've got some work to do tomorrow.

p.s. for signal strength we have 95's and 100's across the board, maybe 1 or 2 60's in their. and operating temp is at 120. So it doesn't sound like we will need a line locker. (I've learned alot from these boards);)

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
I put one in just because my cable run from receiver to switch to dish is near the limit.. the locker is inserted about 60' from the dish and powers that, my receivers end up powering the wb68 at a distance of about 40' max.

·
AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Neil Derryberry said:
I put one in just because my cable run from receiver to switch to dish is near the limit.. the locker is inserted about 60' from the dish and powers that, my receivers end up powering the wb68 at a distance of about 40' max.
My cable lengths are almost identical to yours Neil. What advantages did you see when you installed it? i assume we're talking about the Sonora line locker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.